New Transformers game. Looks like the original cartoon!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Unicron wrote:We don't know how random the crafting is, the Game Informer article is rather vague. Talks about taking two weapons, mashing them together, and getting the best traits of both. Seems that would give some amount of control. Though there was also mention of a timed crafting mini-game for determining the quality of non-weapon items. Need more details and such.
I'm more really annoyed with the number of games with "crafting" systems in them that are unneeded, but are only there because everyone else is doing it.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

...I'm not a gamer... I don't even have a system, but my friend has a PS3 and I plan on wasting some money and time on this game.
Come on and wind me up.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

That's really looking pretty good. Only thing I'm not so liking (and its pure personal taste) is it seems to be arena based. I'm not so into open world stuff but it would be nice to have more of a scrolling level effect (could be, just seems to be all staged in one play area at the moment)

But otherwise this looks like a lot of fun, even without the TF licence. Add that in and I'm pretty much sold on this :)
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Not sure about elsewhere yet, but at least for US people, pre-orders are starting to appear on Amazon and Gamestop's site. No indications of a fancy collectors edition or any sort of pre-order bonuses yet (generic nor site/store specific).
Not sure how heavy Platinum likes to go on those things normally, but I remember Metal Gear Rising had both the crazy collectors edition and store specific pre-order bonus costumes. And Activision is the publisher so I wouldn't be surprised if news of such things comes up soon.

Just to note, Amazon is currently giving an obvious placeholder release date of Dec. 31st while Gamestop is Sept. 22.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

WAIT THIS IS MADE BY PLATINUM!!!?? Oh my god I'm excited. Definitely add me to the optimistic list.
I like bears.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Unicron wrote: Not sure how heavy Platinum likes to go on those things normally, but I remember Metal Gear Rising had both the crazy collectors edition and store specific pre-order bonus costumes. And Activision is the publisher so I wouldn't be surprised if news of such things comes up soon
I think it tends to be a fairly simple choice between just the game, or the game with some sort of memorabilia like an art book.
I like bears.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Summerhayes wrote:WAIT THIS IS MADE BY PLATINUM!!!?? Oh my god I'm excited. Definitely add me to the optimistic list.
Yeah, the news of it being a Platinum game did perk up my interest. I'm trying to keep my optimism and enthusiasm in check though. The 3-4 month window between reveal and release seems kind of short, but I've probably gotten too used to companies announcing a game a year or two out and hyping the crap out of it.

I have no doubt the gameplay will be fun and engaging. My only real worry is that it'll be short. That was the problem I had with MGR. Great game, loads of fun, but really felt like it should have been longer.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Yeah, yeah, posting again but some new news.

Gamespot got some hands on time with the demo and did an article.
They detailed the combat a little more than other articles have so far, mentioning it's primarily arena-based and a lot like Bayonetta with a mechanic similar to Witch Time. Sounds ok to me.

Also revealed is something I hadn't seen elsewhere: Andy Schmidt from IDW worked on the story.

Not game related but before I forget to suggest it again, could Auntie Slag or a mod do a minor update on the thread title to include the game's name?
Terome

Post by Terome »

I posted something in the wrong thread
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

This game has got me so goddamn hyped up that i think I'll explode if there's any delay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Unicron wrote: a lot like Bayonetta with a mechanic similar to Witch Time. Sounds ok to me.
That's me 100% sold. Bayonetta has my favourite combat of any game ever. Feels like a slightly odd fit, mind, as it doesn't really feature shooting.
I like bears.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Summerhayes wrote:That's me 100% sold. Bayonetta has my favourite combat of any game ever. Feels like a slightly odd fit, mind, as it doesn't really feature shooting.
Perhaps it'll work like a cleaner version of Revengances secondary weapon system
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I forget that Revengance even had guns, I had so much fun with my sword. Hopefully this'll be like that.
I like bears.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

From the articles and footage, it seems to be a lot more based on up to 4 interchangeable weapons at a time. I think that'll work a lot better than the Rising system of 'you have a sword, use it for everything. Oh, and here's some random grenades and a rocket launcher you'll completely forget about in 20 seconds'.

From the Game Informer article, they've got a lot of different weapons planned. Wrenches, sniper rifles, homing missiles, guns that shoot slowing gel, plus the obvious stuff like Prime's Axe and Blaster. There was mention of a requirement to equip at least 1 melee and 1 ranged weapon, but I'm betting you could easily lean more in one direction than the other.
I'm thinking the crafting system is supposed to help here too. I suspect you could spend some time and resources spiffing up your preferred weapon and just stick to it, beyond the odd required fight mechanic or need for utility.

I'm wondering if they'll make a playable demo available to everyone eventually, or if it's just a 'show the media' thing
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Continuing my trend of posting news on this game, here's a Playstation interview of the guys from Platinum.

Same gameplay footage as before, nothing really new came up that I noticed, aside from the mention that some of the difficulty levels are unlockable.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Unicron wrote:From the articles and footage, it seems to be a lot more based on up to 4 interchangeable weapons at a time. I think that'll work a lot better than the Rising system of 'you have a sword, use it for everything. Oh, and here's some random grenades and a rocket launcher you'll completely forget about in 20 seconds'.

From the Game Informer article, they've got a lot of different weapons planned. Wrenches, sniper rifles, homing missiles, guns that shoot slowing gel, plus the obvious stuff like Prime's Axe and Blaster. There was mention of a requirement to equip at least 1 melee and 1 ranged weapon, but I'm betting you could easily lean more in one direction than the other.
I'm thinking the crafting system is supposed to help here too. I suspect you could spend some time and resources spiffing up your preferred weapon and just stick to it, beyond the odd required fight mechanic or need for utility.

I'm wondering if they'll make a playable demo available to everyone eventually, or if it's just a 'show the media' thing
Probably, Platinum loves them some free Demos so they can figure out bugs. That being said its probably gonna be Prime and Grimlock being the two most picked chars by the players.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

While I'm excited for the game and will definitely play it at some point, I'm disappointed in the lack of playable characters (only five Autobots and no Decepticons).

I wonder if High Moon will ever do a third Cybertron game or if they're done with the license totally.
Destruction is my specialty
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

HeavyArms wrote:While I'm excited for the game and will definitely play it at some point, I'm disappointed in the lack of playable characters (only five Autobots and no Decepticons).

I wonder if High Moon will ever do a third Cybertron game or if they're done with the license totally.
Knowing the type of game it's to be, 5 playables is actually a lot. The brawler genre is usually 1-2 playables, with anything beyond that usually being straight re-skins or DLC-type characters with their own separated out missions.
I would have liked some Decepticon gameplay myself, but I can see the reasons for sticking with just the Autobots. I'm hoping it does well enough that we get a bigger, better sequel with both sides playable. Perhaps with wacky time travel shenanigans, pre and post movies characters, Quintessons and their minions as the enemy, etc.

I think it's more Activision has the license and farms out the dev work to appropriate studios.
I wouldn't mind seeing a third Cybertron game but I'm not sure how much of High Moon is left these days. They took a downsizing after Deadpool and their recent stuff has been porting one of the Call of Duty games and apparently lending a hand on Destiny.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Good news, if accurate.

Part of TFW2005's coverage of the Hasbro Panel at Botcon has this line talking about Devastation:
More playable characters to be revealed. More coming in the next month. Boxed and digital download, DLC mentioned.

Also some mention of how the story somehow reinforces CW. Don't really see how that's possible, but since Andy Schmidt is involved, who the hell knows.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Platinum always does excellant DLC, new chars play different yet similar enough that you don't struggle. And I wanna imagine we get themed skins
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]