New Transformers game. Looks like the original cartoon!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Normally don't buy games at full price on steam but I have to say that I am very tempted. Looks very much my kind of game.

Few days off from Thursday with the house to myself in the daytime. Might take the plunge and go for it.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Oh it's crazy fun, if you're into TF and Platinum's kind of games. Just spent at least an hour screwing around with one of the Challenge Missions: 2v1 fight involving two of the bosses. It's that kind of tough where it ain't easy, but doesn't feel impossible. Virtually all the deaths were down to mistimed dodges/parries. Probably would have gone easier had I tried to make sure my gear and stats were buffed up.

Something to note: You get ranked on how well you do with each mission and total for the whole chapter, as is standard with this genre. C, B, A, S, and SS. However, at least on the normal difficulty, you don't automatically SS a mission by speeding through it and taking no damage. Doing that does contribute points to the score that determines the rank but actually using the combat mechanics nets you more points overall.
I've had missions where I slow rolled my way through and got smacked around a bit but still pulled a high rank because I worked in a lot of parries, reversals, rush attacks, headshots, etc.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Spent a few hours with this game last night on my PS4. I'm really enjoying it so far. The difficulty ramps up and your choice of bot matters as each feels a different. The game is also frenetic. It just doesn't let up. There are brief exploration sections, but combat is never far away, and when it starts you better get your rump moving.

As I told my wife last night, this game gives 0 f$#&^. I was playing for all of 10 minutes and fighting Devastator for the first time. They know what you're here for and they are going to give it to you.

One thing I did notice is that the animation models are largely a combination of the G1 ones and the toys. If they've had a decent toy recently it's there. Starscream (and the seekers), Megatron, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, and even Devastator are all obviously based off their toys from CHUG/CW. Even the "Ground soldiers" are obviously supposed to be Battlechargers and based roughly on Wheeljack's toy (much like the club exclusives). There are a couple more toy based appearances but I don't want to spoil any surprise fights, so I'll tag them below.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Motomaster and Menasor are both toy based even going so far as to use Offroad instead of Wildrider.
I haven't finished the game yet, and even when I do I get the feeling I'll be going through it again on a harder difficulty just to see if I can.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Beat the story a little earlier (took my time, screwed around a lot. Probably could have had it done yesterday or maybe even Tuesday if I had rushed like crazy, but that ain't worth it). Definitely going to do a number of playthroughs, partly for trophy hunting, cause I'm crazy like that. But also because the characters do feel sufficiently different from each other.

I don't mind the recent toy influenced designs so much. I guess I'm used to it from it being crammed into the comics but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The most glaring (and perhaps annoying, if that kind of thing bugs you) examples don't make any difference, as it's not like they're really given any characterization or personality.

Storywise, I feel like Schmidt did an ok job. It definitely feels like it could be a random episode that fits into that 20 year gap between Season 2 and the Movie. Especially with various little references tossed in in various places.
There's a post credits scene that's hideously obvious in hindsight (really should have seen it coming) that is a pretty blatant set up for either future story DLC or a sequel. I'm hoping sequel but we'll have to wait and see.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Certainly more games planned - just maybe not in the devastation series.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/08/hasbro-pl ... s-5428593/

Titans return = dark cybertron 2 from the looks of things. Sigh...

I would guess though that if this is a success we can expect at least DLC, if not a sequel using the assets already created. The overall response seems to be positive but than the same could be said for the armada game on the ps2 and we never saw a sequel to that - instead we got the awful series of Movie based games.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

After spending the last several weeks working myself to death(one of my coworkers quit. It wasn't unexpected, but it was really bad timing), I have to say the overtime is nice. The burnout, not so much. But I picked up Transformers: Devastation today, and my exhaustion just melted away when I started playing. This game is great!
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I tweeted about Transformers: Devestation and got favourited by a local Tory Councillor. Not sure how to feel about this. He probably doesn't liek Megatron or Optimus and wanted the Functionists to stay in power.

Anyhoo, yeah, picked this up on Friday and fired it up after work yesterday. Haven't played much yet, but I am loving it! It's like a my first Bayonetta, with all the energy and nonsense of a particularly mad episode of the G1 Cartoon. :up:
I like bears.