IDW Sins of the Wreckers comic cover

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TBH I'm largely with the various TV series' attitude of "some of them are just female, alright?" as any attempt to actually address the issue just takes up story space that could be used for something more interesting and also starts a slippery slope to lots of other universe-busting concepts (why do they talk again?).

I'd be open to the idea of Arcee being in this more if it was standalone or if Arcee hadn't done anything in IDW but it's inevitably going to mean mentioning her shit backstory and tainting the thing with exactly the sort of rubbish notioned above.

EDIT: Nick Roche's record of not doing resurrections would be more impressive if he'd written more than about five licensed Transformers comics; that's not a slight but it's not like you can build an accurate assessment from that sort of sample. TBH, I'd be more worried about Hasbro maybe having new Jumpstarter figures (probably CW remoulds of Fireflight and Dragstrip or something) on the decks.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They do see to have quietly dropped the dodgier aspects of Arcee's backstory, I can't actually recall the last time any of that was mentioned (Dark Cybertron maybe? Though I don't remember her and Jhiaxus interacting in that one). Plus at AA a couple of years ago when the panel was talking about the then forthcoming new female Autobots Roche was not subtle in suggesting he thought the entire Arcee thing was terrible whilst sat next to Alex Milne and in the same room as Furman. I doubt he'll be falling back on her prior problems, she'll just be a character with some emotional damage, same as basically everyone else who seems to be in it.

I'm more worried about Verity, a character who gives Circuit Breaker a run for her money in the "Why are the writers so much more interested in this than anyone reading the books?" stakes.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:I doubt he'll be falling back on her prior problems, she'll just be a character with some emotional damage, same as basically everyone else who seems to be in it.
So why not use Afterburner or Override or Camshaft? The joy of Last Stand was that so much of it was about the blank slates of Rotorstorm, Pyro, Ironfist and Guzzle.

TBH knowing Roche's comments about her origin makes me more uncertain; more likely we'll have some rescue of the character.
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote:
EDIT: The news about a Livio (what seems to be) Punishment sequel basically got curb stomped by this didn't it?
I liked that news! I've got a lot of time for Punishment and Barber does Dinobots the best. Not quite sure where he's going to take them after having them roundly rejected and dismissed by Prime as being irredeemable nasty people but I've faith in the concept.

Barber seems to be taking the Hasbro bullet again if the minty lady combiner team is going to be in this. I suppose it's that sort of enthusiasm that allows stuff like Wreckers sequels to be supported.

Similarly, Roche will probably use Arcee well. But then I quite like what Barber's done with her. She's got at least two dimensions to play with nowadays. That said...
So why not use Afterburner or Override or Camshaft? The joy of Last Stand was that so much of it was about the blank slates of Rotorstorm, Pyro, Ironfist and Guzzle.
Some more gold spun from nothing would be very welcome. The fact that there are unidentified characters on the cover is encouraging. A Roche original character would be neat too.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:So why not use Afterburner or Override or Camshaft? The joy of Last Stand was that so much of it was about the blank slates of Rotorstorm, Pyro, Ironfist and Guzzle.
There was still support from names though, and at the very least we're getting Stakeout (I've no idea if he was the police car at the end of the first series, but I'll bet his prominence on the cover is at least meant to get conversation going as to if he might have been) and a yellow guy so obscure no one seems to be sure who he is.

As for why Arcee... pure speculation but Prowl was a major background player in Wreckers, and he'd certainly be the person most keen to stop that backup disc getting out there. He's currently locked up (and frankly a far more ruined character now than Arcee ever was) and Arcee spent a lot of time as his right arm. Whether that means she's working to his agenda or (more likely at this point) fighting against it, it's fairly logical she'd know Prowl's secrets and would get involved.
TBH knowing Roche's comments about her origin makes me more uncertain; more likely we'll have some rescue of the character.
For full context, the original panel (I must have a reslisten myself actually, I suspect that post Dark Cybertron a lot of comments take on a new context): http://theunderbase.libsyn.com/the-unde ... omic-panel

What I do remember being very obvious is that Roche (presumably because he wasn't on IDW's payroll at the time) was just the most vocal- "Alex only drew it!"- of a group of creators who all thought Arcee was a bloody awful idea.
Terome wrote:I liked that news! I've got a lot of time for Punishment and Barber does Dinobots the best. Not quite sure where he's going to take them after having them roundly rejected and dismissed by Prime as being irredeemable nasty people but I've faith in the concept.
Yeah, that bumper issue was comfortably the best thing Barber has done this year, and with Grimlock on his way back in MTMTE (as also revealed and curb stomped by this news) it'll be interesting to see how they move things towards the reunion of the five man band.
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote:

Yeah, that bumper issue was comfortably the best thing Barber has done this year, and with Grimlock on his way back in MTMTE (as also revealed and curb stomped by this news) it'll be interesting to see how they move things towards the reunion of the five man band.
Does Grimlock coming back make big news? He's been about to come back for about as long as the IDW continuity exists.
inflatable dalek

When revealing his AA Wreckers print on twitter Roche responded to a question asking who the yellow guy is: Tis indeed Hubcap.

That's a TFArchive exclusive! 'Cause not many people are on twitter, right?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I would love it if Hubcap kicks Overlord's arse (with a little help from Roadbuster and the lads) in revenge for Pipes.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Oh. That does look good. Hype machine set to "warm"