Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Including anime, manga and comics films.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Post by Skyquake87 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm

I had quite a bit of Playmobil as a kid. I had an awesome fire truck, a TV van with crew, a green car and a racing car that you could take the wheels off. After saying it doesn't pop up anywhere, just been to my local Asda to pick up some bits and saw they had a Playmobil fire truck on sale. Looked awesome. I can recall having as much fun with Playmobil as I did Lego when I was smaller. Good stuff. Lego does seem to have a bigger foothold over Playmobil, I agree.

Hmm. I'll have to check out the cartoon, have a look.

And speaking of Lego, I've just finished putting together Lego 70909 The Lego Batman Movie Batcave Break-In, which I used my Lego VIP points to pick up reduced in their sale. It's a really fun playset! I like the rotating costume rack, and twiddly quick-change thingy. It also has a jail cell and a walkway for battles. And walking. The two vehicles are excellent; Batman's "Riptide" bat boat is sleek and very cool. My favourite is the excellent Penguin driven rubber-duck mobile (clearly modelled after the thing from Batman Returns) and the two wee armoured penguins! Cute and deadly. I like that the set isn't too huge either, but has plenty to do!

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Dammit, that's amazing.

Must...resist...urge to spend $130 on a Lego set I have no room for...

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 am

Honestly, I've been holding out for the sales on this one. I didn't want to play full RRP for it. £40 off the RRP and having a bunch of VIP points to use up was a good enough deal for me! The set looked a little weak next to all the mental vehicles that came out, as this is just a bit well, tame, by the standards of the line. It is really good fun though and I do like it. I'm thinking of building an add on to add that green Creator T-Rex to emulate the Batcave as seen in the comics (what was that dinosaur and the giant coin all about?).

Edit: Found Season 1 of Extreme Ghostbusters on Amazon for 49p + postage. Thought I'd have a punt for that price. Watched a few clips on YouTube - loved all the comments about this being one of the most diverse cartoons ever made :)

Gobots Dumper
Lucked out on a cheap ebay auction for Dumper. He's missing a wheel and has some paint chipping, but is otherwise in good nick and is very very cute. Great robot mode too.

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:11 pm

You might not be entirely surprised to learn both have extensive wiki entries;

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Giant_Penny
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman%27s_T-Rex

Ooo, Young Justice trailer...

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Well. Those are glorious entries in Batman's long and daft history. Love that DC have retconned both these items art various points.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Lego City 60174 Mountain Police Headquarters - This was a Lay-By I had going on.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Spawn Nitro Riders Afterburner
I don't know why, but these things have been on my mind recently. I had the blue once and sold it years and years ago and I've been trawling ebay see if I could pick one up again, see if they were as good as I remember and landed a loose and complete Afterburner (the orange one) for just under a tenner including postage. It's fantastic. Has a nice rusted/ grimy look to it and the rider with his silly spiky wing thingies is adorable. The detailing and paintwork is superb. I think these and that Interlink set are my favourite Spawn designs. Apart from that Mandarin Spawn, which looks incredible.

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Marvel Legends Mystique

I got a call that my Mystique preorder was in as I was getting ready to drive my son home from his grandparents' house, so we were able to stop by and pick it up right away! It's a well-done rendition of the character with the same caveats as any other female Marvel Legends figure -- the articulation just isn't up to snuff compared to the male counterparts. The elbows in particular just don't have enough range of motion, especially for a figure that comes with a couple different guns (one of which is way too big for her to hold without stretching her hands out). But it's a nice, simple rendition of the character's most iconic design. The alternate half-morphed Rogue head is a great touch (assuming you own a Rogue), but I'm not 100% sure what Lilandra is meant to go with. She's raided a body from my spare parts drawer for now, but long term she's just a spare part herself.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 pm

Ooh Mystique. Looks good! I liked her short-lived comic from the early 2000s, where she was doing all spy stuff.

I picked up a few more Spawn bits. Never really got into Spawn. Seemed a cool concept, and I remember reading the early issues with the guest writers, but it wasn't enough to get me to buy in. I suspect that, as with Witchblade, going back and reading the early stuff again would be a bit...painful. The toys were always fantastic though...

Spawn Nitro Riders Eclipse
The black bike one. Pretty awesome looking thing, and the rider looks mean. These are pretty cool things, might have to track down some boxed versions at some point as the two loose ones I've bought have whet my appetite for these and the Eclipse I got is a little damaged and on closer inspection, Afterburner had a couple of parts missing.

Spawn Series XX Domina
Like Angela, she's one of the fighty Angel ladies that doesn't wear much. She looks pretty cool, but is a bit awkward to pose. Like a lot of McFarlane's toys, she's more statue with some slight movement than a proper action figure. I bought this sealed for cheap, but the shield is missing the clips to connect it to her arm which is a bit of a bummer.

Techno Spawn
Robot version of Spawn that looks a bit mental - a big blade for its right arm, spindly long point three fingered left arm and a big waggly tail. No idea. Looks insane, but the detailing and styling is nice. I had this before I moved house and kind of wished I'd kept it and managed to find a loose one cheap on ebay. Good stuff.