Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Post by Skyquake87 »

I had quite a bit of Playmobil as a kid. I had an awesome fire truck, a TV van with crew, a green car and a racing car that you could take the wheels off. After saying it doesn't pop up anywhere, just been to my local Asda to pick up some bits and saw they had a Playmobil fire truck on sale. Looked awesome. I can recall having as much fun with Playmobil as I did Lego when I was smaller. Good stuff. Lego does seem to have a bigger foothold over Playmobil, I agree.

Hmm. I'll have to check out the cartoon, have a look.

And speaking of Lego, I've just finished putting together Lego 70909 The Lego Batman Movie Batcave Break-In, which I used my Lego VIP points to pick up reduced in their sale. It's a really fun playset! I like the rotating costume rack, and twiddly quick-change thingy. It also has a jail cell and a walkway for battles. And walking. The two vehicles are excellent; Batman's "Riptide" bat boat is sleek and very cool. My favourite is the excellent Penguin driven rubber-duck mobile (clearly modelled after the thing from Batman Returns) and the two wee armoured penguins! Cute and deadly. I like that the set isn't too huge either, but has plenty to do!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Dammit, that's amazing.

Must...resist...urge to spend $130 on a Lego set I have no room for...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Honestly, I've been holding out for the sales on this one. I didn't want to play full RRP for it. £40 off the RRP and having a bunch of VIP points to use up was a good enough deal for me! The set looked a little weak next to all the mental vehicles that came out, as this is just a bit well, tame, by the standards of the line. It is really good fun though and I do like it. I'm thinking of building an add on to add that green Creator T-Rex to emulate the Batcave as seen in the comics (what was that dinosaur and the giant coin all about?).

Edit: Found Season 1 of Extreme Ghostbusters on Amazon for 49p + postage. Thought I'd have a punt for that price. Watched a few clips on YouTube - loved all the comments about this being one of the most diverse cartoons ever made :)

Gobots Dumper
Lucked out on a cheap ebay auction for Dumper. He's missing a wheel and has some paint chipping, but is otherwise in good nick and is very very cute. Great robot mode too.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You might not be entirely surprised to learn both have extensive wiki entries;

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Giant_Penny
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman%27s_T-Rex

Ooo, Young Justice trailer...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Well. Those are glorious entries in Batman's long and daft history. Love that DC have retconned both these items art various points.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego City 60174 Mountain Police Headquarters - This was a Lay-By I had going on.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Spawn Nitro Riders Afterburner
I don't know why, but these things have been on my mind recently. I had the blue once and sold it years and years ago and I've been trawling ebay see if I could pick one up again, see if they were as good as I remember and landed a loose and complete Afterburner (the orange one) for just under a tenner including postage. It's fantastic. Has a nice rusted/ grimy look to it and the rider with his silly spiky wing thingies is adorable. The detailing and paintwork is superb. I think these and that Interlink set are my favourite Spawn designs. Apart from that Mandarin Spawn, which looks incredible.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Marvel Legends Mystique

I got a call that my Mystique preorder was in as I was getting ready to drive my son home from his grandparents' house, so we were able to stop by and pick it up right away! It's a well-done rendition of the character with the same caveats as any other female Marvel Legends figure -- the articulation just isn't up to snuff compared to the male counterparts. The elbows in particular just don't have enough range of motion, especially for a figure that comes with a couple different guns (one of which is way too big for her to hold without stretching her hands out). But it's a nice, simple rendition of the character's most iconic design. The alternate half-morphed Rogue head is a great touch (assuming you own a Rogue), but I'm not 100% sure what Lilandra is meant to go with. She's raided a body from my spare parts drawer for now, but long term she's just a spare part herself.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ooh Mystique. Looks good! I liked her short-lived comic from the early 2000s, where she was doing all spy stuff.

I picked up a few more Spawn bits. Never really got into Spawn. Seemed a cool concept, and I remember reading the early issues with the guest writers, but it wasn't enough to get me to buy in. I suspect that, as with Witchblade, going back and reading the early stuff again would be a bit...painful. The toys were always fantastic though...

Spawn Nitro Riders Eclipse
The black bike one. Pretty awesome looking thing, and the rider looks mean. These are pretty cool things, might have to track down some boxed versions at some point as the two loose ones I've bought have whet my appetite for these and the Eclipse I got is a little damaged and on closer inspection, Afterburner had a couple of parts missing.

Spawn Series XX Domina
Like Angela, she's one of the fighty Angel ladies that doesn't wear much. She looks pretty cool, but is a bit awkward to pose. Like a lot of McFarlane's toys, she's more statue with some slight movement than a proper action figure. I bought this sealed for cheap, but the shield is missing the clips to connect it to her arm which is a bit of a bummer.

Techno Spawn
Robot version of Spawn that looks a bit mental - a big blade for its right arm, spindly long point three fingered left arm and a big waggly tail. No idea. Looks insane, but the detailing and styling is nice. I had this before I moved house and kind of wished I'd kept it and managed to find a loose one cheap on ebay. Good stuff.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego City 60172 Dirt Road Pursuit.

Lego Star Wars 75216 Snoke's Throne Room.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Batman Movie 70921 Harley Quinn Cannonball Attack.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Well, after about half a decade I've found myself buying Lego again. I blame Hasbro for not selling many Transformers I want to buy. And also my wife, because when I found out that she'd somehow NEVER BUILT WITH LEGO IN HER ENTIRE LIFE, I felt obliged to buy things to build with her!

76111 Batman: Brother Eye Takedown: My lego collecting was winding down as the Superhero stuff started to really gather steam, so I've never actually owned a Batman set. This one is nice. The minifigs are nice, Brother Eye is surprisingly poseable and I enjoy the light-up eye way more that I expected (because it works way better than I expected). The Batwing is nice and swooshable, but the build is a bit disappointing...the fuselage was very satisfying to put together, but then you just slap a half-dozen giant prefab parts on to make the wings, nosecone and tailfins. Kind of anticlimactic.

70841 Benny's Space Squad: Classic Space guys! I'm a bit too young to have grown up with the original Space sets (I mostly had Ice Planet, Spyrius, Exploriens, UFO, etc.), but I had a few of the minifigs and I've always liked the design. This is a nice little nostalgia set. And my son loves the brightly-coloured minifigs.

75214 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter: This one was a lot of fun. It's amazing how far the building techniques in official sets have come since I was more active buying them. The build on the wings and especially the cockpit were very interesting. I kinda hate stickers on Lego, though, and this set loses a bit of lustre in my eyes for relying so heavily on them.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm75214 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
That's a really good set! I'm surprised at how snug the whole thing is. I dropped it from waist/chest height a few weeks ago and not one piece fell off! I was sure there was going to be an explosion of bricks everywhere.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm only now noticing that you'd mentioned the set as well, a couple pages back. Yeah, it's really solid and dense, parts-wise. It's way more sturdy, and way heavier, than the older Star Wars kits I've got -- I picked a few up in 1999 and 2000 when they first started doing them, and maybe one every few years after that. I don't have any of the previous Jedi Starfighter kits but it definitely makes my 1999 X-Wing and mid-2000s TIE Interceptor sets look pretty rickety by comparison.

(They're doing a "20 years of Lego Star Wars" celebration this year and I don't know if anything else has ever made my feel quite so old.)

They've definitely come a fair ways design-wise since then. Though they've also added one thing that I really, really don't like -- stickers! I'm not hardcore opposed to them in theory but the ones that come with Lego always look super cheap to me.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Lego Movie 2 70822 Unikitty's Sweetest Friends EVER!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Lego Movie 2 70841 Benny's Space Squad.

The Lego Movie 2 70830 Sweet Mayhem's Systar Starship!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks to some discounts and some Amazon gift cards I had sitting around, more Star Wars Lego!

75167 Bounty Hunter Speeder Bike Battle Pack: Yay bounty hunters!

I've obviously got a lot of different speeder bikes, like anyone who's collected Space or Star Wars Lego over the years, but I think this one might actually be my favourite. The hardcore Star Wars collectors hate it because it's "not canon", but I can't really get behind that. I get wanting replicas of things that we've seen on-screen, but in a set that's really just an excuse to bundle four bounty hunter figures together, I don't mind them just making it up something new that looks "Star Warsy" that's fun to build. The minifigs are a mixed bag. Bossk is adorable and 4-LOM is nice too. But IG-88 isn't very impressive. He's just a battle droid body with a giant brick-built head on top, and doesn't really look much like IG-88. And Dengar is...well, who cares if Dengar's any good? It's Dengar. Does anyone like Dengar? He's like the Gears of the Bounty Hunter set, the one people only pick up to complete a set. But overall it's a very nice set.

75207 Imperial Patrol Battle Pack: The bike in this one comes from the Solo movie I think? I haven't seen it, but that's what the reviews say. I'm not as in love with the finished product as the other one, but the build was interesting. The minifigs are nice. I don't have any other Imperial officers or Naval Troopers, so they'll be nice to have if I decide to start building scenes again. The stormtrooper variants are nice too...more detailed prints than on the ones I have from when I was a kid.

Also, very nearly bought a Jawa/Tusken set while it was on clearance, but it went out of stock as I was putting my son to bed. :(

Not sure how I feel about the little stud-guns the sets come with nowadays. I've accidentally shot myself in the face with them about ten times already.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Lego Movie 2 70831 Emmet's Dream House/Rescue Rocket!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego DC Comics Super Heroes 76116 Batman Batsub and the Underwater Clash.

The Lego Movie 2 70827 Ultrakatty & Warrior Lucy!

The Lego Movie 2 70829 Emmet and Lucy's Escape Buggy!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

More Star Wars Lego!

75172 Y-Wing Starfighter: This is technically a Rogue One set I guess, because it comes with a bunch of characters I don't know, including a Mon Calamari Admiral who they apparently invented because they were afraid to use Ackbar again after he cameoed in The Force Awakens, and some sort of weird hairy alien that looks like a cross between a Wookiee and a Wampa wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask. The pilot apparently isn't anyone, since the box just calls him "Y-Wing Pilot", and the stormtrooper is another to add to my small Imperial legion. The R3 astromech is probably the only figure of the group that really jumped out at me, mainly because it's cool to finally have one that isn't just another R2-D2.

The model is great, though! It's around 700 pieces and took me close to three hours to build. While it's not the biggest set I've ever done (that's still, easily, the old Medieval Market Village, which basically took me a whole day), the Y-Wing is probably the most complicated. Much of the body is made up of Technic parts built over with detailing, and the end result is surprisingly sturdy. I've always wanted a Lego Y-Wing because I've always thought that the Y-Wing's rickety, stripped-down beater design was a perfect subject to build with Lego, and this set is basically all I could have hoped for.