General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Post by ganon578 »

So I was at Toys R Us last night, looking around at various things (nothing new in TFs), and went through the LEGO aisle. Lo and behold, there were minifig blind packs there for $2 each, and there are 16 different ones to possibly get!

I haven't seen these before and was wondering if any of you have seen them. I know some of you in the UK and elsewhere outside the US tend to get blindpacks more than we do, so I thought it was neat that we were finally getting something like this.

By the way, I picked one up, and managed to score a Robin Hood/Forestman. SWEET!!!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Saw 'em - £2.99 here (at least in the indy in town). Don't fancy punting that much on a blind-packed Minifig, TBH, especially as the Minifigs from current stuff generally aren't much cop.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, but the awesomesauce is that so many aren't from current sets. You can get a zombie minifig, how crazy is it that they actually made that?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I could also get another ****ing fireman. One with a facial expression that suggests his bowels have just spontaneously atomised. Probably.

Don't mind me, I'm an old misery.
Sades

Post by Sades »

You could trade him away or something?

I might have to go to Toys R Us at some point in the near future.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:You could trade him away or something?
If Lego firemen were worth anything in trade, I'd have a platinum-plated Harrier jump-jet on the drive now.

Man, that would be so sweet.
Sades

Post by Sades »

You never know, there might be some fireman-crazy little bastard out there just loony enough to trade you a bunch of doubleplusgood for your flamey-putter-outter dudes.

I'm hoping I can pull the BF away from his hobbies and friends long enough today to pay attention to me go to the Toys R Us. This should be full of spastic fantastico.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Despite being blind-packed, apparently they have different barcodes -- if you really want a certain minifig you can compare the barcodes until you find the right one. That's excessively nerdy even for me, though.

I haven't actually seen them yet. Do they come bagged or boxed? If they're in a bag you could probably tell by touch what you're getting.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We went looking; didn't find squat. Boo!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

I say bah! I miss Lionel Playworld!!!

(They probably didn't have those in Canadia, huh?)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

Probably not... AFAIK we don't have drive-through liquor stores either. And we ride moose to work, live in igloos, say aboot, etc
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Warcry wrote:Despite being blind-packed, apparently they have different barcodes -- if you really want a certain minifig you can compare the barcodes until you find the right one. That's excessively nerdy even for me, though.
I don't know, I have to do lots of sexy barcode checking at work and it's really not that hard, all you need is the last three digits for a match.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:Despite being blind-packed, apparently they have different barcodes -- if you really want a certain minifig you can compare the barcodes until you find the right one. That's excessively nerdy even for me, though.

I haven't actually seen them yet. Do they come bagged or boxed? If they're in a bag you could probably tell by touch what you're getting.
They come bagged. And yes, you can tell by feel. That's how I managed to stay away from a couple that I really didn't want. Cheerleader? No thanks. Found one that I couldn't really place, and it turned out to be a Forestman.

Anyways, I was there less than a week ago, and they had roughly 8 left out of a box of 20 or 30 I'm guessing. My wife and I returned there yesterday to look for baby stuff at the attached Babies R Us, and they didn't have any more, and the box was gone too. So I don't know if this was some fleeting sale, or if they will bring more in. I'm hoping for the latter because the Native American and Caveman minifigs we're fraggin' cool...

Also, they completely stocked up on the new 'Kingdoms' line, which will replace the 'Castle' line. To my knowledge, the Kingdoms stuff wasn't supposed to be out until August, but they had all the sets available. Too bad we have no money (i.e. the Babies R Us part) to invest in a $100 Lego castle. ;)
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Yeah but if you indoctrinate a love of Lego into your child I'm sure it would grow up to understand why you had to buy the castle instead. :)
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Excellent point. Now I just have to get the wife to believe that one!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I love the Castle stuff, and this new set looks sweet, but I'm totally out of room on my Lego setup as it is, so I'll probably just stick with a few small sets and minifigs.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades

Post by Sades »

I now need that clown.

[edit] Why is it still acceptable to manufacture stereotypical 1800's-1900's Native American figs? I don't see your stereotypical turn of the century Asian or a stereotypical turn of the century black dude.

Oh well, I suppose it's better than manufacturing a present-day stereotypical Native American. I'm not really offended, just surprised.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I take it all back. I hadn't had a proper look at the range; only Robin Hood (I have loads of Forestmen) would actually result in a '"meh" from me. Now, to get back down town and buy, buy, buy...
Sades wrote:...
[edit] Why is it still acceptable to manufacture stereotypical 1800's-1900's Native American figs? I don't see your stereotypical turn of the century Asian or a stereotypical turn of the century black dude.
They are all yellow. Lego's general avoidance of race full-stop (aside from franchise stuff) gives them a free hand IMO. It's not like the cowboys are realistic or anything (they're part of the Western theme, which is pure cowboys 'n' injuns rather than historical commentary). TBH if anything I laud their general refusal to go particularly PC.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffjumper wrote:They are all yellow. Lego's general avoidance of race full-stop (aside from franchise stuff) gives them a free hand IMO. It's not like the cowboys are realistic or anything (they're part of the Western theme, which is pure cowboys 'n' injuns rather than historical commentary). TBH if anything I laud their general refusal to go particularly PC.
That's true, I hadn't thought about that. Like I said, I wasn't offended- I'd still buy it, it's frigging cute.