Armada PS2 game

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

There's already a discussion on it here: http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... adid=22989

go. read. absorb :)
cocorubs
Protoform

Post by cocorubs »

OK, I only tried the game for 5 mins. I was aggrevated. While you are walking as a robot, I always have that target showing in the middle of the screen, can it be turned off? I think the camera has a very dizzying effect on me. It's not that good to me. But that's only from playing 5 mins. I found it hard to target and shoot while getting fired at. I didn't like the opening screen when you are sitting at headquarters. Too much stuff, not simple enough.

Question:

Can the camera be controlled?
While in car mode, all you do is go forward left right and backward. Is that all you can do?
Can you get that darn target off?
Is there an easier way to kill rather than try to get them in the crosshairs and get your behind kicked while trying to aim?
The graphics seem way to close up. I get lost very easily? Is the camera that bad to you? Can it be fixed?

What I like?

It's Transformers.
The triple zooming of your sight and weapon.

Can you tell me why I should like the game? I really want to like it, maybe I am tired, but everything seems so close up, and it's hard to shoot enemies. The car does nothing unless I am missing something.

Please convince me, please convince me to get this! Or at least enjoy the demo.

I go up close to a minicon and I have to look down? Or I try to kill an enemy and I have to look down or aim down to kill him?
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

I played it a year ago at the San Diego Comic Con, but there were a lot of people in line, so I only got a chance to run around, transform and fight some sort of spider droid.
"Im drowning in footwear!"
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

Originally posted by cocorubs

Question:

Can the camera be controlled?
While in car mode, all you do is go forward left right and backward. Is that all you can do?
Can you get that darn target off?
Is there an easier way to kill rather than try to get them in the crosshairs and get your behind kicked while trying to aim?
The graphics seem way to close up. I get lost very easily? Is the camera that bad to you? Can it be fixed?

To quote someone from tfw2005's boards who's played most of the game:

Okay so I just got through the Amazon Basin and am now in the Arctic. First off the bat, as predicted the game is a lot better than the demo would have you beleive. Firstly the frame rate drops are a lot less frequent as to become hardly noticeable now. The levels are HUGE. So big that a map would have been a nice addition, perhaps there is a mapping mini-con, I'll have to find out. Also a lot of mini-cons are out of your reach early on, so I guess the Gliding mini-con is going to come in really handy once I find the little bastard. Noticable additions are a pretty much fully featured first person mode now, visible gun and all, 3 levels of zoom, visible gun and side-step feature. The driving mechanic is tighter and thus more fun.

So it seems they've added a first person mode & fixed up a lot of the movement problems & Stuff.... gooood to hear :)
cocorubs
Protoform

Post by cocorubs »

Wow, that's great news. I am so happy to hear about that. I will definitely get the game. I will play the demo a lot more, though. Just to see if I can do things.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

The StoneCold Review : PS2 Transformers

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

And now that I've played the full game (well into Arctic level) I've got to say that everyone must buy this game.

The levels are seemingly endless, and graphically gorgeous to look at. The CGI sequences are stunning, particularly the opening sequence on Cybertron and the sweeping sequence in on the Amazon level. My only real gripe on the graphics front are the character models themselves, they're either too gangly or just out of whack somehow, yet they're still easily recognisible as who they're supposed to be.

The action is nicely set out, the Arctic level provides a neccessity for a bit of stealth action with droids floating around who call in re-enforcements if you're spotted. The first-person mode really helps with targetting (though I've been playing Hitman : Contracts of late, 3rd person's not much of a problem) and the triple zoom makes for some great confusion of the enemy.

The minicons in the game are great additions, though (and I don't know if this is on purpose) I'm finding several types of the same minicon...I can only assume this is so you can switch them between the three available autobots without impairing the set-up on another. It's nice that they've gone to the trouble of naming the minicons too, though it's a typical case of naming it after their ability... :\
On the subject of minicons; Sparkplug, Jolt & Longarm are all in game and provide their partners with a bullet-time-esque ability...everything around you slows down, which is a neccessity against some of the larger decepticlones.
Another bonus to be found in game are known as data-cons, these unlock special bonus features accessible from the main-menu. Including concept model sketches, CGI Stills, FMVs to watch at your leisure, Toy information & prototype pics, audio and much more (including some G1 stuff too!)

The enemy AI is quite impressive, they have the ability to move in groups and will try to surround you if possible. They will dive out of the way of grenades & run away from their fellow soldiers if you manage to attach a mine to one of them.

The sounds in the game are superb, though it appears (I could be wrong) that they only managed to secure David Kaye & Gary Chalk as voice actors as Hot Shot, Red Alert & Cyclonus sound nothing like their cartoon counterparts which is a tad disappointing. The voice acting though is still pretty solid, but if Red Alert tells me anything again I will tear out my 5.1 and beat it to death with a great big stick.
Otherwise in game the explosions are all crisp and the music running in the background does go some way to giving an insight to how hectic a situation you're in, as the music picks up pace as enemies draw near. I do feel (this being a 3d shooter) that a surround sound option would have greatly benefitted the game.

All in all, despite only being a short way into the game I can safely say that Melbourne House (developer) and Atari (publisher) have done a fantastic job on what could have potentially been a massive disaster. I can only see it failing by the fact that they've decided to run with the name "Transformers" and dropped "Armada : Prelude to Energon" which will undoubtedly cause confusion for those not associated in the fandom.

Gameplay : 9/10
Sound : 8/10
Graphics : 10/10
Overall : 9/10

Not exactly a perfect game, but damn close to it. Character models and voices need a little tweaking but if this is the shape of things to come, I hope they make another :)
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

i wil must get this game
its about time a good transformers game is released especially after the god awful abomination that the beast wars game was
a show like that does not deserve a coeaster of a game like that
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

trust me,it only gets better when you advance.
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

havent seen it over here yet
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Post by TFArchive »

damn, guess I better buy a Playstation then :(
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Jeeeesus, Melbourne House are still going? All they did was produce arse in the 80’s, god knows how they lasted as long as they did. Then again, maybe it just took them 17 years to get good.

Strewth!

Whose gonna come back next? Ocean? Gremlin? The Bitmap Bros? System 3? Magnetic Scrolls? Infocom? I know Morrissey's knocking about again.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Just finished the first level...

Great game so far. The levels really are huge. I must have spent over an hour on the first level, only exploring with moderate thoroughness. The physics and videos are really smooth, and the extras are pretty interesting. My strongest compliment is that they really make it seem like a war, especially in the opening video on Cybertron. Looks great so far.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Auntie Slag
Jeeeesus, Melbourne House are still going? All they did was produce arse in the 80’s, god knows how they lasted as long as they did. Then again, maybe it just took them 17 years to get good.
I think it might be one of those cases where another company buys up the stock, titles and trademarks.

Guys, do you have to explore thoroughly to proceed to the next level, or is it an optional thing where you can play for maximum score?

Do you reckon it'll be playable by the kids who were into Armada a couple of years ago?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Denyer
Do you reckon it'll be playable by the kids who were into Armada a couple of years ago?

It hasn't been more than two years since Armada's debut, has it?
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by Denyer
Guys, do you have to explore thoroughly to proceed to the next level, or is it an optional thing where you can play for maximum score?
The latter. The levels (at least, as much as I've seen so far) have something of a path where the action and objectives lie, and most of the bonus stuff is hidden elsewhere.
I'd say so, yeah.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Sevrian
Protoform

Post by Sevrian »

Depends though. I don't know about the easier levels, but playing on Commander is pretty darn tough!

*spoiler, maybe. Probably not*

Starscream was a real chore to beat, I can tell you, and that's as far as I've gotten, having only bought the game today.
Garand

Post by Garand »

Accroding to the tV commercials.. US release date is May 11 irc..
NISMOJOE

Post by NISMOJOE »

got it like 2 days ago

tidal wave is like....

is like....

just go buy the game....

tons of unlockable extras

art, comic, 3d models, paintings, music, old G1 clips or GI JOE type saftey warnings

i took this from the game cause i though it was friggin hilarious

http://www.nismojoe.com/transformers/vi ... Jacket.mpg
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Post by TFArchive »

I picked it up myself, and a PS2 because I can't play PS2 games on my xbox :wall:

So far it is pretty neat, I really like the Transformations, no delay and pretty cool. Will be playing it more over the next few days and of course capturing select scenes for the site :)
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

Combo'ing Transformations is heaps of fun to do.. you know - transform, drive into a mass of Decepticlones, transform to bot, shoot stuff up, then transform again & run over the survivors... ahhhh - so many ways to pick off the opposition :D