Is Andy "Andrew" Wildman any good?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Is Andy "Andrew" Wildman any good?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Stick with this a second. No debate about the late US art, great stuff. But has anyone ever seen anything half decent of his that wasn't inked by Stephen "Baskerville" Baskers? Because I haven't. I always remember his "I wasn't getting paid much, so I ****ed over anyone buying the comic like the wanker I am" convention confession regarding the UK Armada comic, and yet the odd thing is while his first five or six strips are a bit awful, as soon as Baskers comes on board, it looks alright.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

His work on the Target free comics was actually a hell of a lot better than anything he's done on comics people have actually read in years.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I thought that the pencils for War Within 2 were just about excellent before the colourists got their sticky styluses all over them. But he's got a real tendency to get sloppy when he feels like it. That latest GI Joe crossover wasn't anything to write home about.

But yeah, Baskerville's the man behind the curtain.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

I like Wildman. He, Geoff Senior and Jeff Anderson were like, my top 3 favourite artists on the UK comic.
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Damolisher wrote:I like Wildman.
MATT DAMON.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

He certainly polarises opinions but I have to say that while I like his work (I even enjoyed his UK black and white strips) it always looks much better when Stephen Baskerville is his inker. Having seen what his work is like when paired with other inkers (his Hulk fill-in issue and X-Men Adventures for example) you do sometimes wonder whether or not he could put more effort in.

Looking at the UK material when he was drawing for black and white there was more life to the material and a bit more substance to the work. Anything he's done for full colour work without Baskerville has for the most part been languid for want of a better word.

He obviously has gone for a slightly cartoony - minimal line approach similar to Alex Toth but it just isn't quite working out.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth on the debate.

Andy
The Ideon

Post by The Ideon »

What a masterly summation by Cliffjumper. I think I'll start a religion in his honour - the Church of Cliffology.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

The Ideon wrote:What a masterly summation by Cliffjumper. I think I'll start a religion in his honour - the Church of Cliffology.
/join

On a sidenote, I think it's really annoying if people have the same avatar. I recognize people by them

On topic: Wildman's Transformers always seem a bit human to me. Also, they tend to have a lot of fluids flying around (drool?) sometimes... :lol:
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Yeah, Lousy duplicate avatar....
Come on and wind me up.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

While I havent exactly seen much of his non TF work, and of that the majority of it is the late Marvel US stuff... Well... I think his work definitely depends on the inker, which does make me wonder quite how much of the work on his late M-US stuff is his, I'd love to see pencil pages. What I love about his good stuff (with Baskerville) is that it feels so organic, alive, the lines and spots and marks on the bots just make it feel as if theyre grafting beat up bots in war, the oil stains etc...

Basically all his later work the lines are so crisp and clean, theres none of the organic feel that I loved, so was this Baskerville? or did Wildman just change his style?
Bluestreak75
Protoform

Post by Bluestreak75 »

Wildman,Senior and Staz were some of the better artists from the original transformer comics and the british artwork was 100% better than the american at the time
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm intrigued by his work on recent IDW covers. A very scratchy Gary Gianni (is that the dude's name? Did that back up strip in Hellboy a few years back, anyway...) style of drawing. Its his proportions being a bit off that bother me - that Fort Max illo on the Titan TPBs springs instantly to mind. Tiny feet, small head and a gun that looked like a sausage.