[Animated] Reaction Thread: Episode 26 - "Black Friday"

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Civ

[Animated] Reaction Thread: Episode 26 - "Black Friday"

Post by Civ »

Well, this episode is available in its entirety on YouTube and I just viewed it. I have to admit, I thought the episode was so-so.

Pros:
  • Grimlock and Prime torturing Powell. That was great.
  • Showing Blackarachnia isn't a total bitch.
  • Showing the Dinobots work rather well as a unit.
  • Meltdown was a credible threat in this and appears as though he'll be something to be reckoned with in the future.
  • Captain Fanzone. He's just pure awesomeness.
Cons:
  • Grimlock's speech in general. The whole "Grimlock in love" with Blackarachnia was really annoying. Also, being that it's stupid Grimlock, he's just annoying. Period.
  • Bumblebee. He is so ****ing annoying. I wish someone would just slag the little bugger already.
Now, I know that's only two cons versus a lot of Pros but the fact that Grimlock played such a major role and he was almost unbearable to watch, sorta hurt the episode. And the remaining time that Grimlock wasn't in it, ****ing Bumblebee was and I'm ready to strangle whoever made BB this annoying prick. I'm really hoping Grimlock gets an intelligence boost (and keeps it) soon to make him more like the comic Grimlock and BB just gets and an overhaul or gets slagged.

Unfortunately, no Wasp, which was a shame. I was hoping he'd become Waspinator in this episode.

EDIT: Additional con that I can't believe slipped my mind: "DINOBOTS RULE!" Yes, I know Grimlock said it but it was on another plane of annoyance; therefore, it deserves its own individual con.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I don't know man, I really liked this episode. I loved the way the Dinobots were worshiping Blackarachnia, and the whole chanting until she arrived reminded me of King Kong. I like Grimlock, he is what he is. I never really expected more out of his character. The other Dinobots, however, I wish would get some more screen time and speaking roles.

Blackarachnia's character is so great in this series. I loved the fact that she still kept her word to Prime. It shows us that she still has a chance for redemption, a very cool twist I thought, even if it was a bit telegraphed.

Given Meltdown's penchant for wanting to make a transforming organic, I can see a future with him and Wasp. I have a feeling that is how he will become Waspinator, with the help of Meltdown. I hope...
Civ

Post by Civ »

Kali wrote:I don't know man, I really liked this episode. I loved the way the Dinobots were worshiping Blackarachnia, and the whole chanting until she arrived reminded me of King Kong.
It was at that point where I said, "aw shit, this doesn't look promising." When she showed, I added sarcastically, "yep, love worship. Joy."
I like Grimlock, he is what he is.
Yes, but unfortunately, he is rapidly approaching G1 Season 3 Grimlock with being a bit more of a joke at this point. He went from snarling animal, which I thought was likable to the obnoxious "Dinobots Rule!" in short order. Still able to take care of business but I wish he'd keep his trap shut. I thought his best moment was when he wasn't speaking at all and just growling while dealing with Powell.
The other Dinobots, however, I wish would get some more screen time and speaking roles.
Screen time I'll agree with but if the voices are handled the way Grimlock is with his then, I pray for their silence to continue. Doubt that's likely to continue though since I believe voice actors were cast for them.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

The episode was pretty good. I liked the Dinobots in it. I don't find Grimlock to be annoying, I think keeping him as a comedic character is a good move because the kids would like that more.

I liked the bantor between Prowl and BB as well. I'm glad that Prime took the spotlight away from them as the 'main' character in this one though. Prime is continuing to get great character development.

Meltdown still hasn't grown on me. He is a credible threat, but I just don't find him interesting. PCP is a much better villain and I'm hoping to see more of him. Also liked how Fanzone stands up for the Autobots and doesn't do everything that PCP demands.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I actually like this Grimlock. He's powerful, he's a credible threat (he steamrolled Prime with no problem and dragged him off by the head), and while he's stupid, he's not as stupid as G1 Season 3 Grimlock. He's like the old character, and that's fine with me.
fantomdranzerx
Protoform

Post by fantomdranzerx »

Vin Ghostal wrote:I actually like this Grimlock. He's powerful, he's a credible threat (he steamrolled Prime with no problem and dragged him off by the head), and while he's stupid, he's not as stupid as G1 Season 3 Grimlock. He's like the old character, and that's fine with me.
Let's hope that the writers keep him from becoming like Season 3 Grimlock.

All in all, it was an okay episode. Wasn't bad, just not my favorite episode.
"Adult Robots may not act like children."---Excerpt from the Robot Law (Astro Boy)
DeviantArt
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

fantomdranzerx wrote:Let's hope that the writers keep him from becoming like Season 3 Grimlock.
Yep... I think they were walking a fine line this episode, but he turned out to be enjoyable. I think the fact that we only see the Dinobots once every 6 or 6 episodes means that Grimlock won't be turned into the Autobot comic relief that he was in G1 Season 3... in Animated he prooves he can be funny and badass at the same time.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I actually hated the whole episode. Dinobots acting like little kids is one of those things I hated already in the original cartoon and now it seems to be repeated over and over again in this series as well.

I was also hoping writers wouldn't downgrade the only female character in the show to the cliched backstabbing seductress stereotype, but I suppose it was unavoidable. :(