Best Optimus Prime and Megatron Voice Actors?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
foxwolf2099
Protoform

Best Optimus Prime and Megatron Voice Actors?

Post by foxwolf2099 »

so we've many different series of Transformers since the 80s version, while in recent years, Gary Chalk and David Kaye have helmed Prime and Megs for most of those shows, there are still a handful of actors who have taken on the role.

Have a listen to these sound clips and compare for yourself who you think the best is.

Optimus Prime - http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voi ... mus-Prime/

Megatron - http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voi ... /Megatron/

While I love Peter Cullen, I've really gotten used to Gary Chalk as Prime.
As for Megatron, Welker's voice was much different to Kaye's more refined Megatron so thats a toss up
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/ - Images of Voice Actors and the Characters they portray in TV Shows, Movies and Video Games
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Prime: Peter Cullen. He's iconic, and after all these years he can still do the voice quite well.

Megatron: I'm going to have to go with David Kaye on this one. Yesssss...
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Classic Megatron all the way.

Though Nimoy made a decent Galvatron.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

Is there any question?

Peter Cullen and Frank Welker! Absolutely classic! Transformers would not be what it is today without these two iconic voices. While Transformers has a unique premise, and a very pleasing presentation I would argue without Peter Cullen and Frank Welker at the helm the show would have no where near the emotional ressonance it had with kids during the 80's.
foxwolf2099
Protoform

Post by foxwolf2099 »

secretcode wrote:Prime: Peter Cullen. He's iconic, and after all these years he can still do the voice quite well.

Megatron: I'm going to have to go with David Kaye on this one. Yesssss...
hahaha, i LOVE that maneurism of Beast Wars Megatron. the "Yeeesssss". it was awesome.

same with the ant dude, Inferno, "FOR THE RRRRRRROYALTY!!!"
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/ - Images of Voice Actors and the Characters they portray in TV Shows, Movies and Video Games
numbat

Post by numbat »

Have to go for Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, I'm afraid (although I do also think Neil Kaplan did a great Prime!).

The other Megatron's, in particular, to me just come across as the stereotypical kids cartoon bad-guy voice (not to say that's not great in itself - they all do a grand job!). Frank Welker was more interesting. Hugo Weaving has good potential to bridge the gap between the two main styles, though - if he ever gets to talk much as Megs!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Optimus Prime: Peter Cullen. best Prime actor ever... twenty years and still voicing Prime, and still doing a damn great job of it. Although Gary Chalk is a very close second. I adore his Optimus Primal.

Megatron: Frank Welker,he's a voice actor god, but G1 Megatron's voice is sometimes over-modulated(?) that it's a bit hard to make it out sometimes. David Kaye does a wonderful voice acting as well, but it sounds a bit... stereotyped. Love the Yesssssssssssss though. Hugo Weaving is a very close third.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Gonna have to go with the majority and agree that Cullen and Welker were the best voice actors either character had. Although Animated Megatron's creepy monotone voice is a close second, Welker's is the one I always hear in my head whenever I read a line of dialouge from Megs. Ditto with Cullen and Prime.

Hell, I'm a Decepticon fan through and through but Cullen's performance managed to impress me from time to time. Especially during the Movie (The 80s movie not the Bay one, obviously)
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Prime: Peter Cullen. Gary Chalk (BW, BM, UT) and David Kaye (Animated) are tied for second.

Megatron: Very tough choice. But Cory Burton (Animated) just edges past David Kaye (BW, BM, UT) and Frank Welker (G1).
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Firebird

Post by Firebird »

Heh being a gee wunner I have to vote for Peter Cullen as Prime and Frank Welker as Megatron (and all the other voices he did)

Although Cory Burton as TFA Megatron is awesome and Hugo Weaving as movie Megs was quite good, even though Welker voiced the movie Megs in the video game.
Firebird has her optics on you...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Blackjack wrote:Frank Welker,he's a voice actor god
...if you're looking for someone to play the roles of "Goat" or "Third Dog from the Left".

I mean, aside from Transformers and Fred from Scooby Doo, how many speaking roles can you name that he's done in the last decade? (Without Checking IMDB)
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

If the effects were laid a bit thinner on Hugo Weaving's voice, I'd put him in the running, but as it stands, I'm going with David Kaye as the best Megatron. He wouldn't fit in the movie version, but for Beast Wars, his voice is one of the main things I enjoy about the show. Just ask yourself, how much less entertaining would BW Megatron be with a more generic voice?

As for Prime, it's Cullen. No contest.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Dead Man Wade wrote:...if you're looking for someone to play the roles of "Goat" or "Third Dog from the Left".

I mean, aside from Transformers and Fred from Scooby Doo, how many speaking roles can you name that he's done in the last decade? (Without Checking IMDB)
Nibbler from Futurama.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

It's a tie between Corey Burton and David Kaye as far as Megatron goes for me, but Cullen is the clear winner for Prime.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Halfshell wrote:Nibbler from Futurama.
Did he actually do the speaking bits for that, as well?

Not that it matters much, as the reason he was no doubt hired was because he could do the high pitched babbling.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

He did both, yes.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Lava Lord from "Mighty Max" a surprisingly good cartoon from the early nineties. Also had the great Tony Jay (Of "Reboot" fame) and Tim Curry (Yes, Frank N Furter himself) in the cast.
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
ronnskonn
Protoform

Post by ronnskonn »

Rurudyne wrote:Classic Megatron all the way.

Though Nimoy made a decent Galvatron.

:up: G1 voices are the best!:up:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
meyerc
Protoform

Post by meyerc »

My vote is for Mr. Cullen!
foxwolf2099
Protoform

Post by foxwolf2099 »

we got 17 Transformers character voice compares now including a couple Beast Wars characters