[SPOILERS] Movie #2 reactions; film now out!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.

Did you like it?

Yes, it was great
25%
NO.
17%
The first one was better
25%
It was okay
19%
Yes, it was better than the first
14%
other
No votes

Total votes: 36

Civ

Post by Civ »

Yeah, I didn't notice the felatio scene myself until my brother pointed it out and I realized he just might be right. Just before Ravage vomitted up all of those little nanobots, he had to pop off the top of that pipe that would serve as the entry point. When he put his mouth over the pipe, it did look a bit like someone performing felatio on a very phallic looking object.

As for the confusion in keeping track of who's who, I must have missed the name of that car that Sideswipe cut in half. I had no idea who it was nor who the giant, two-wheeled crane Decepticon was that Prime killed execution style. Of course, there was the Constructicon issue that you mentioned. I did forget to mention that I picked up on Soundwave as well. A lot of the shaky camera work also made it hard for me to discern at times who was who. That yellow...I guess it was a Constructicon who tried to nail Sam and Mikaela, I thought for a second was Bumblebee and he screwed up until I realized it wasn't.

Yeah, it does seem strange doesn't it that I can't decide if the second movie was better than the first? It's sort of a balancing act right now between, well the action was better and they toned down the humans but they added all of those excessive and unnecessary add-ons. The first movie does have Jazz and he, surprisingly, is a bigger deciding factor for me than I would have thought 2 years ago. So, I'm going to wait until the DVD comes out so I can go through it again and then decide; however, I will admit that I am leaning towards the first but it's nothing solid yet.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Civ wrote:Yeah, I didn't notice the felatio scene myself until my brother pointed it out and I realized he just might be right. Just before Ravage vomitted up all of those little nanobots, he had to pop off the top of that pipe that would serve as the entry point. When he put his mouth over the pipe, it did look a bit like someone performing felatio on a very phallic looking object
Eh, no. Subtlety is not something present in this movie. In this case, I'd say your brother just has a dirty mind.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Clay wrote:Eh, no. Subtlety is not something present in this movie. In this case, I'd say your brother just has a dirty mind.
Oh, that's quite possible; however, I tend to think he might be right about this considering they had a close-up shot of it as well. Also, why did they use a pipe and not a more conventional, ribbed vent-entry for the movie? Surely Michael Bay or someone else could have thought of another way for the nanobots to get in.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Meh...I consider that nitpicking...I remember that scene, and if anything, I saw it as more of a "hairball" regurgitation than anything else. If you see that as similar to dick-sucking, you're either getting way too much action or not enough.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Gotta beat them girls off with a stick.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Civ wrote: As for the confusion in keeping track of who's who, I must have missed the name of that car that Sideswipe cut in half. I had no idea who it was nor who the giant, two-wheeled crane Decepticon was that Prime killed execution style.
The car that Sideswipe kills is called Sideways.
The giant two wheeled Decepticon is called Demolishor. He is credited as Wheelbot (an early production name) in the credits.
That yellow...I guess it was a Constructicon who tried to nail Sam and Mikaela, I thought for a second was Bumblebee and he screwed up until I realized it wasn't.
Which one? Rampage? But Rampage is red in the movie. Hightower? Scrapper?
Civ

Post by Civ »

Thanks for the car and the first, big monster; however, I don't know the other's names. All I know it was a yellow Constructicon (for lack of a better term) that seemed to have a flail-like weapon as part of his arm. It smashed either an overpass or a small bridge made out of stone that the two kids just crossed to avoid getting smashed.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Even with the college bits and the LCD humor, I liked it better than the first. There was enough robot interaction and mythology to balance out the really bad bits. The first movie had too much human crap.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Civ wrote:Thanks for the car and the first, big monster; however, I don't know the other's names. All I know it was a yellow Constructicon (for lack of a better term) that seemed to have a flail-like weapon as part of his arm.
The one who held Witwicky parents hostage and jumps around on a pogo stick? That's Rampage. He has these things moving in his arm like flail. Or is it Hightower?

or, of course, the Bonecrusher wannabe.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Civ wrote:Thanks for the car and the first, big monster; however, I don't know the other's names. All I know it was a yellow Constructicon (for lack of a better term) that seemed to have a flail-like weapon as part of his arm. It smashed either an overpass or a small bridge made out of stone that the two kids just crossed to avoid getting smashed.
Scrapper has the flail. If you blink, you'll miss him.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think I preferred the second one, simply because it gets straight into the action (I know the first one starts off with Blackout taking out SOCCENT, but it also then pulls back and spends a fair bit of time introducing Sam). There were bad bits for sure, but there were also some very, very awesome bits.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Clay wrote:Scrapper has the flail. If you blink, you'll miss him.
Well, the description seems to match him. Did Scavenger and Hightower appear in the final battle? Besides in Dev's body?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Blackjack wrote:Well, the description seems to match him. Did Scavenger and Hightower appear in the final battle? Besides in Dev's body?
I don't think so, no.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Vin Ghostal wrote: Here's one: if Autobots now have the ability to detect Decepticon energy signatures, as we saw in the opening scene with Demolishor and Sideways, why can't Bumblebee detect Alice?
Going into the film knowing she was a wrong'un I assumed Bumblebee's antics with the Jaws theme/squirty liquid (more lubricant?) ect was him trying to warn Sam of her alien nature rather than just stopping a skanky collage bint getting her claws in him. Though considering Bumblebee's character I suppose that could still be the case even if they never spelt it out.
Vin Ghostal wrote: My latest question after contemplating the film further: how is Soundwave seemingly able to hack into every communication occurring on Earth? He's only attached to one of the hundreds of satellites in space; I think it's highly unlikely that Mrs. Witwicky's cell phone (in France, no less) is on the same network (let alone the same satellite) as U.S. military communications.
That bit actually made sense though, considering the Witwicky's know the Government's big outer space robot people secret it's hardly surprising they're tapping their phones to makes sure they don't mouth off to the wrong people.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Really super-loved the action scenes, and mostly managed to turn my brain off through the film and enjoy, aside from the typical complaints about the middle-school level humor.

Did anyone find it odd that the NEST dudes at the end were surprised that the lone F22 circling them was, yet again, not Air Force? It's not like it hadn't happened before.

And can we collectively agree that "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" is the best line ever?

Overall, will buy the DVD and skip through to the fights and/or watch in the background while doing other things.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Cliffjumper wrote:Fanboys hold back character development. They want Starscream to be Exactly The Same as He Was In 1984. You start doing something different with him, like developing his character, and you get people pissing and bitching "since when did Starscream act like that in the cartoon?!?".
Ironically the one continuity where Starscream really develops as a character, past the two dimensional G1 bits, is arguably the most hated series...Armada. Funny how that works, I just had to say it. ;) Anyways carry on lads!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:Scrapper has the flail. If you blink, you'll miss him.
Aye - it's Scrapper who's after Sam and Mikaela there. Shame he gets so little screentime - he has great, chunky, humanoid design. Ach well...
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

It's a shame that Ratchet appeared in so little of the movie. I mean, him and Ironhide (or, say, Sideswipe) should've gotten the screentime that the Twins hogged..

Also — Jolt. What's the guy's problem? He didn't appear in the introductory scene in Shanghai, he barely appeared when the government apprehended the Autobots/NEST, before hiding in the backgrounds, until Prime needs an upgrade. What's up with that? I'm curious.

Devastator is very well animated and CGI-ed. But he's a letdown. First, he couldn't even manage to kill a young impetuous Autobot (Mudflap). Then, we're shown that his wrecking balls so conveniently resemble testicles. After that, he didn't even get to fight Prime or Bumblebee or even Ironhide. He got killed in one blow by humans. Damn.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Blackjack wrote: Also — Jolt. What's the guy's problem? He didn't appear in the introductory scene in Shanghai, he barely appeared when the government apprehended the Autobots/NEST, before hiding in the backgrounds, until Prime needs an upgrade. What's up with that? I'm curious.
I can only assume Jolt's scenes were cut out but he had to return at the end to help with the deus ex machina
Blackjack wrote:Devastator is very well animated and CGI-ed. But he's a letdown.
Indeed. I was hoping for him to do much more fighting. Budget constraints, anyone?
numbat

Post by numbat »

Summerhayes wrote:Indeed. I was hoping for him to do much more fighting. Budget constraints, anyone?
They have said Devastator was the most complex CGI model attempted by ILM to date, so it was probably expensive and time consuming to animate at all.

And I guess they packed an awful lot of 'bots and action into the film. You do get the sense that even at its epic running time, the script has been fairly distilled.

Still, I do think Megatron deployed Devs quite appropriately - he seemed good at demolishing pyramids! With the number of Cons already in the battle, I think that was sensible.

And a blast from a railgun is a fair way to go out. (Although he did seem to disintegrate quite easily - a drawback of consisting of a number of distinct parts?)

And having the humans take out the biggest robot has feel-good factor.

I do think it's a shame Jolt didn't get more screentime. What, we have him driving out in the response to the east coast Decepticon incursion (in shot for what, 3 seconds?), being pissed (or miffed?) at Prime's death at the NEST scene, and then combining Prime and Jetfire at the end. Three appearances? Yet he transforms into the most significant car in the film - the upcoming Chevy Volt. That's one very exciting car, and ROTF could have been a superb advertising platform, whilst linking Transformers to something a little more environmentally friendly than the fuel chugging (but gorgeous) Topkick, and not less than green Camaro. (And I'm not expecting the new Corvette to be a mind-blowing environmentally friendly machine, even if it is stunning...) Missed opportunity.

:nonono: