Is anyone else kind of nostalgic already for the Car Robots/RiD era?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Sir Auros

Is anyone else kind of nostalgic already for the Car Robots/RiD era?

Post by Sir Auros »

I was just having my daily perusal of BBTS and I saw that they had some "warehouse find" of some figures from that line, and I felt a little bit nostalgic. I thought the cartoon was horrible and most of the line was crap, but it was still a good time. I was also early into my college career, so that may have been a part of it.
Sades

Post by Sades »

That was my second [third depending on the day] favourite toy line. The cartoon was a bit crap, but I loved the toys. I feel nostalgic everyday.

I think I might have to visit BBTS now.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

The toyline was good, I think. Rail Racer has been recommended to me by various people, and I used to have RiD Megatron (who got broke and subsequently got sold).

I watched a couple of episodes of RiD on Youtube, but I don't really like them. Skybite's cute, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I do, but again for various reasons - it was the first line I'd properly followed as a grown-up fan, around when I was first around here and everyone was still actually interested in Transformers.

The toys were very nice compared to most of the other stuff we'd had up to that point - while I like the Beast * series, for me the toyline was a complete washout, just not my bag. So realistic cars with chrome, rubber tyres and so on, some styled on G1 characters (or near enough), but with articulation and stuff... It was all quite refreshing at the time, before every single toyline devolved into eating itself - and it was all so nice and digestible. And anyone remember people complaining about how complex, say, the Car Brothers were? Looks daft now, doesn't it?

Still have a lot of time for the cartoon, which is as daffy as possible, but lovable for it.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I felt nostalgic for them last year after I got done watching the series online. Then I started collecting them and now the only ones have left to get are Ultra Magnus and Scourge.

The series was hit and miss...mostly miss. In my opinion I liked the designs, I liked that Fortress was in it.
The humor was funny at times.
The main thing I disliked was the plot and how the Predacons were portrayed as complete morons.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
moonbaseone
Protoform

Post by moonbaseone »

Yeah, I didn't care for the cartoon but the toys were pretty cool. I picked up a few of them and still have them, unopened.
"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I got a VCD of the first three subtitled episodes of Car Robots before RiD started, and I liked it. It felt like a lot of fun, although the lyrics "Go BOY! CONVOY!" have left me somewhat scarred......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I loved Fire Convoy and Ultra Magnus. I never opened UM. I watched the series, and it was ok, but I am more a fan of the G1 stuff still.
kupimus aka(clocker)
Protoform

Post by kupimus aka(clocker) »

does anyone else think that the transformers in the new ongoing comic look r.i.d-ish
Let this be thy final lesson monster, no man is e'er defeated till his last breath is drawn! And e'en THEN, 'tis most unwise for the victor to assume the battle is ended, for with god and man, a war is ne'er over till the ultimate wrong is set aright and the final villain is DONE!
blastoff
Protoform

Post by blastoff »

Prime from rid

is one the best Primes ever
toy and character
You've got the wrong bunch
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

RID is actually the line I have the least of, and the only Transformers cartoon I have never watched an episode of. Well, actually I have more RID toys than Armada, but that isn't saying much considering I have only got three figures from the Armada line.

I actually really like the few RID figures I have had the opportunity to own, but I don't have that many, and most are repaints of the smaller stuff from G2/Machine Wars, such as the cyber jets and so forth. I do have RID Prowl though.

So is the cartoon actually worth hunting down? It has to be better than Armada/Energon...right?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, it's probably miles better tahn the Unicron Trilogy. In the grand scheme of things? No idea, been too long since I've seen a lot of it, though I remember it being good, silly fun for the most part.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Yeh, it's probably miles better tahn the Unicron Trilogy. In the grand scheme of things? No idea, been too long since I've seen a lot of it, though I remember it being good, silly fun for the most part.
I'm actually quite scared to watch RiD. I remember watching Car Robots in tiny little avi files with no subs and thinking it was AWESOME.

I'm quite content with that memory and worry that actually gaining some idea of what the hell was going on might ruin it for me.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, that pretty much is where I am with the thing - I kinda doubt it's as much fun as it was at the time, and I'm not planning on finding out any time soon...
asuka 24
Protoform

Post by asuka 24 »

I would say I was about 2 or 3 years ago. when the economy was good and we had some extra spending money I went and bought most of the figures from the show. The ones that I could find on ebay that were cheap.

Also my wife got me for Christmas one year the the Brave Max(Fortress Maximus re-release under this show title) Korean version. I picked up the korean version of scourge of Ebay for 34 bucks.

The Prime and Ultra Magnus figures are awesome, especially when combined.
The Rail Racer figure was awesome figure, it's really cool to have the 3 robots combine to become the 1 super robot.

I actually like the cartoon(anime), but I hope to see the Japanese version with subs one day. TV-N has started on it, maybe one day they will complete it.

:):p:)