DOTM movie errors

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Blackjack wrote:Did any of you notice that Megatron's last line in ROTF, that 'revaaaunnnrggg' roar as he shoots himself in the face, is reused for his death here... and spoken at one point when Sentinel Prime runs away from Optimus?
They are "somewhat" at the same place, aren't they?:D

ROTF: "revaaa...my......eye...rrrnnn"

DOTM:"reva...my......eye..rr...again..and...neckk....rrrnn"
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

When Ironhide slams Crankcase on top of it the red car, it is already dented and Crankcase just fits on the Crankcase-shaped dent on the car. A second before the red car is still in pristine condition.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Cliffjumper wrote:One odd thing regarding the Autobot ship being destroyed... None of those in NEST HQ show the remotest surprise when the Autobots then turn up in Chicago (only the unofficial gang - Sam, Epps etc.). IIRC the first time they notice them is noting that the Autobots have been captured - there's no "Where the Hell did they come from?". It's loose writing more than anything, but I wonder if you could have some wriggle-room there - were NEST & co (or at least the upper echelons) in on the planned escape?
I thought about this, and I can't make it work logically. The Autobots have a fantastic track record, having soundly beaten the Decepticons at every turn (yes, it took an AllSpark miracle in Mission City, but only a select few know how close Prime was to defeat). It's reasonable for the humans to expect that the Autobots (with NEST and US military cooperation) would emerge victorious again.

Anyway, why would US military leadership agree to faking the Autobots' demise? The whole affair leads to the Decepticons spreading out all over the world, setting up and activating the space bridge without opposition, taking control of Chicago, establishing the basis of a stronghold, and murdering countless humans in the process. What would NEST and the Autobots gain from such a ploy, other than the momentary element of surprise in Chicago? The drawbacks far outweigh the benefits.
horizon
Protoform

Post by horizon »

So ,last saturday I watched Dark of the Moon on dvd (it was released here just last week). Loved it. :)

Anywhoo,
Optimus in the ropes and his extended absence: the theory that wreckers repair his jetpack is a viable one.

The prisoner scene, aside of me in the cineman being: "Noooo not Bumblebeeeee!" had an awkward setup in the story. I imagine 200 minus several death 'cons caused them to be captured. But, indeed, just a setup to be emotional.
The ensuing fight where Bumblebee takes them down is pretty awesome though.

As for no one being surprised when the Autobots show up: hey it is Prime fighting time, no one asks questions. ;)

Megatron only could take down Sentinel in a surprise attack, not after Sentinel would have taken down Optimus. And an enraged Megatron ... does het think about it?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Upon watching the DVD, it hit me that one of Sentinel's first lines within seconds of waking up is to explain how the Space Bridge is beyond "Your" [humans] understanding of the laws of physics... How the hell does he know what those laws are considered to be on Earth?

Now, the potential out here is his eyes lighting up at the end of the Apollo 11 sequence suggesting he came online then and has been observing humanity ever since... But that seems at odds with the Decepticon need for the Matrix to bring him back to life, and if nothing else it's a verbal slip that doesn't match up with what the Autobots think has happened to him (being completely off line all those years) and should have been picked up on by either the other Autobots or the overly cynical humans. Plus, as the eye glow morphs into the film title I'd argue it's not something that happened in fiction (anymore than there's a mountain surround by golden stars at the start of the film).

A YMMV one, but the sequence where Sentinel bitch-slaps Megatron is very odd, as it's directed and acted as if Carly can hear what they're saying. Even though they're at a distance and she's looking through a telescope, not famous for amplifying sound. It's possible she's meant to be working it out from just watching them, but in that case the editing is dodgy as she does what I think is meant to be her "Aha, I know what's going on here" face at the wrong point, after they've stopped brain picking and Sentinel is just talking, it makes her look slightly slow on the uptake if the actions are what's convinced her of how to deal with Megatron.

Indeed, how much Carly is or isn't supposed to be sure of about Sam's past, and which Transformers she does or doesn't know isn't very consistent throughout the film. She seems genuine when going "I believe you Sam" in a tone of voice suggesting she thinks he's made most of his stories up (which, if Wheelie and Brains were the only Autobots she'd met at that point would make sense, "Sure, these are the transforming robots that helped you save the world dear. Bless you") and she seems amazed at the sight of Bumblebee as if she's never seen him before. But then Lennox say they all know each other and Megatron acts as if he has a clue who she is.

Oh, and even Sam points out the idea of NEST having a pretend civilian cover is rendered pointless by having heavily armed guards on the gate. Who do they think they are? UNIT?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I think it's implied that when Sentinel comes online he absorbs the required knowledge from the Matrix and/or the World Wide Web, what with Sentinel muttering gibberish when he first stands up and attacks Optimus Prime, before he calms down and speaks in English.

Another error: Stone, the guy that falls out of the building, which alerts Shockwave to the humans' presence, appears in subsequent scenes. No lines, sure, but he's there.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Regarding Carly, I had taken her 'I believe you' and the presence of Wheelie and Brains to indicate that she really did believe Sam. Sam saying Bumblebee was always off on missions made me think she perhaps hadn't met him though, which was why he'd be pretty well aweinspring when she does meet him in real life - he's a damn-sight more impressive than Wheelie or Brains...

I also thought Lennox saying they all knew the 'bots was more indicating they all knew of their existence, but a lot was riding on Sam.

And, finally, of course Megatron was aware of who Carly was - she was integral in his plan to revive Sentinel Prime and remove the Autobots through gaining access to Sam. He surely didn't have to meet her at a dinner party earlier in the film to know who she was. While it's unlikely he'd done any of the groundwork himself (being a Mad Max tanker truck... and, well, the Decepticon leader), surely he'd heard of her and seen reports. I don't think that's a stretch of then imagination.

Also, if you see Sentinel bitch-slapping the Decepticon leader and scratching the insides of his head, you don't really need to hear the dialogue to get the dynamic... I think the dialogue was for the audience's benefit. Although, it's an unusually clever attempt at giving the audience access via a human character - there are plenty of scenes between Decepticons (moreso in ROTF and DOTM) where there is no human access-point-of-view-trick. I see why these tricks are helpful for the storytelling to a general audience, but, frankly, I like having these scenes regardless of how we get to them - character development for the 'cons was totally lacking in TFTM and made a big difference to ROTF and DOTM.

Although, a lot of the confusion around Carly is probably down to the high school drama acting level. Still, I really don't think Megan Fox was much better having rewatched those films on Bluray now, and I don't think DOTM suffers from her absence. All she's done is proven that the female lead was inconsequential to the success of a Transformers film, which is a shame.

I really do love the exchange between Carly and Megatron though - it's so well written and very poignant. One of my favourite scenes from any Transformers movie.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

numbat wrote:I really do love the exchange between Carly and Megatron though - it's so well written and very poignant. One of my favourite scenes from any Transformers movie.
No, it's not. It's marginally well-written...for Mikaela's character, not Carly's. Even though Megatron's more than a bit touched in the head in DOTM, there's no reason he shouldn't flick Carly off like a bug at any point during their conversation. They've had zero interaction. He and Mikaela, on the other hand, have crossed paths in ROTF, so it's plausible that any comments she'd make towards him might have a bit of gravity. As it is, it's two characters that have never met before having a conversation that suddenly becomes integral to the climax of the plot. It's fantastically forced, and probably left over from the script that was written for Megan Fox and not Random Blonde Whore #475.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Vin Ghostal wrote:No, it's not. It's marginally well-written...for Mikaela's character, not Carly's.
<snip>
It's fantastically forced, and probably left over from the script that was written for Megan Fox
Agreed. 100%.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
numbat

Post by numbat »

MEEEOOOOW!

Fair dues - although Megatron didn't really know Mikaela either. He what, happened to see her briefly while examining Sam's brain before Prime and Bumblebee burst in in ROTF? Don't recall him talking to her. Maybe I'm forgetting something...

On the otherhand, Megatron would know about Carly at least on paper given she was integral to his plot. So, while I agree that Carly's part was a half-arsed retrofit to replace Fox, the only reason this scene would make more sense with Mikaela is because the audience knows her better. Megatron doesn't.

And I think Megatron would have flicked Mikaela away in the scene - or anyone else - if he were still on form as in the first film, and probably the second where he's very pissed if a bit weaker. However, this scene really shows how far he's fallen and how weak he has become - but, hey, he is missing like half of his head!

Anyhoo. See your view. Agree to disagree.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Well, on paper he might know about her (though there's no indication of this in the film, he doesn't seem terribly bothered about individual humans throughout the trilogy, is there even a moment that shows he knows Sam's name? They probably all look alike to him) it'd only be part of a fairly long list of humans his plot is using. If it had been Wong who turned up in the ally would he have listened to him as well?

I'd agree he'd have killed Mikaela in the same situation, just as he would any human (remember him casually flicking that pedestrian in the first one?), that just makes Carly's survival even sillier. There's also no indication in the Movie she knows who Megatron is either, the film seems to retcon his apperance on TV in the last one (Sam's potential employers ask why the FBI wanted him when you'd think "What was that evil giant alien robot launching a massive attack on cities in order to grab you all about?" would have been the first question on anyone's lips, the film has to pretend this didn't happen for the sake of Sam's inadequacy plot). Considering the most common complaint from people who aren't die hard fans is you can't tell the robots apart her working out the Megatron/Sentinel relationship that quickly is fairly remarkable.

Speaking of retcons, the film effectively ignores the "Transformers as spaceships" thing from the first one. I'm not talking about the Ark, which makes sense (even if you had a Transformers big enough who is going to want to carry about a highly dangerous and untested experimental teleporter about in their arse?), but the Decepticons on the moon. It's played as if they need the Space Bridge to be brought to Earth when in the original film the Autobots were capable of interstellar flight under their own power.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Different robots, different abilities. Considering that team of Autobots seem to be on a planet-hopping quest for the Allspark, modifying them for built-in spaceflight is the sensible thing to do - especially as there are only five of them. Might as well wonder why no-one other than Mirage/Skywarp have invisibility/teleportation. It's also possibly Autobot-exclusive tech, which'd be much better than the way both sides always contrived to discover Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters/Pretenders at exactly the same time.
inflatable dalek wrote:Considering the most common complaint from people who aren't die hard fans is you can't tell the robots apart her working out the Megatron/Sentinel relationship that quickly is fairly remarkable.
When does anyone in-universe have any trouble telling robots apart? Because that's the only bit that's relevant. Successive Marvel artists couldn't tell the Throttlebots apart, that doesn't make it a plot-hole if someone in-story calls Freeway by the right name.

Megatron would have mashed anyone speaking to him like that into a fine pulp, be it Mikaela (whose name he probably doesn't know - about the only time they share a screen is in the warehouse in RotF, when he outright ignores her, and of course when he's frozen in the first film and doesn't exactly chat to her - once he's online he's nowhere near her), Carly, Simmons or ****ing Batman. It's either an outright error, or it's a sign of Megatron's mental and physical disintegration, take you pick.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Different robots, different abilities. Considering that team of Autobots seem to be on a planet-hopping quest for the Allspark, modifying them for built-in spaceflight is the sensible thing to do - especially as there are only five of them. Might as well wonder why no-one other than Mirage/Skywarp have invisibility/teleportation. It's also possibly Autobot-exclusive tech, which'd be much better than the way both sides always contrived to discover Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters/Pretenders at exactly the same time.
But that would mean ignoring all those IDW comics that show the Decepticons doing the same thing!

I like this plan.

Though Starscream at least seemed capable of it in ROTF when he went to wherever the Fallen's comfy chair is. I'd have thought at least some of the bigger Decepticons on the moon would have been able to do the same. Though I suppose it's only odd depending on how long they've all been up there, which I don't think the film firmly established, if its been a while those guys would have been useful during the events of either of the last two films.

When does anyone in-universe have any trouble telling robots apart? Because that's the only bit that's relevant. Successive Marvel artists couldn't tell the Throttlebots apart, that doesn't make it a plot-hole if someone in-story calls Freeway by the right name.
I don't think in-Universe establishes it either way, the trained to deal with Transformers military guys seem good enough at it on the few occasions they're required to call out a name, but Carly is unlikely to have sat down and done the Ladybird Book of How to Tell Big Grey Robots Apart.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Though Starscream at least seemed capable of it in ROTF when he went to wherever the Fallen's comfy chair is.
So Starscream's capable of it. The original Starscream had a null ray. Cindersaur and Groundhog don't. Transformer A not having exactly the same capabilities as Transformer B is not an error; it never has been in anything else before, so why should it start being one now? If any of those Decepticons on the moon had been shown arriving there by the transforming meteor route, then bingo. But they weren't, were they?
I don't think in-Universe establishes it either way, the trained to deal with Transformers military guys seem good enough at it on the few occasions they're required to call out a name, but Carly is unlikely to have sat down and done the Ladybird Book of How to Tell Big Grey Robots Apart.
Yeh, Sentinel's just a sea of grey. One's wearing a cloak, one's covered in red. They're also standing on top of a building with no-one else anywhere near them. Add in the telescope and being able to read six-foot lips and basic body language and it all hangs together fairly well. That and there's an obvious lapse in time between Carly being captured by Soundwave and taken to that building, and Dylan loves the sound of his own voice.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:So Starscream's capable of it. The original Starscream had a null ray. Cindersaur and Groundhog don't. Transformer A not having exactly the same capabilities as Transformer B is not an error; it never has been in anything else before, so why should it start being one now? If any of those Decepticons on the moon had been shown arriving there by the transforming meteor route, then bingo. But they weren't, were they?
So that's Starscream, all the original Autobots bar Bumblebee and presumably all the Protoforms in ROTF (unless I'm forgetting some other explanation for how they came to Earth from that ship) and a YMMV thing on Megatron and the Fallen's more elaborate spaceship modes and the fact there's no indication of any other way the first film Decepticons came to Earth either. I'd say that's enough of a representative sample to go with it being a standard ability, which makes sense considering their inbuilt alt mode changing abilities, all they really need to do is have the same space vehicle templates downloading.

To tangent a bit, the films don't really go in for individual special powers do they? They all have their own guns (presumably down to personal preference or, in the case of Ironhide's BFG's, job specific) but there's no invisibility or teleporting or holograms. Closest is the Constructicons combination powers and Prime's trailer. The rest, bar basic raw power differences, are all about on the same level give or take.

Yeh, Sentinel's just a sea of grey. One's wearing a cloak, one's covered in red. They're also standing on top of a building with no-one else anywhere near them. Add in the telescope and being able to read six-foot lips and basic body language and it all hangs together fairly well. That and there's an obvious lapse in time between Carly being captured by Soundwave and taken to that building, and Dylan loves the sound of his own voice.
I didn't mean her being able to tell Megatron from Sentinel, more her being able to tell Megatron from any one of the 100 odd big grey Decepticons now on the planet. Though is that actually the first time she's seen Sentinel as well? And sure, maybe Dylan got out his holiday slides during her captivity and maybe she's an expert lip reader but considering that scene between her and Megatron is a fairly essential one for him these things that set up the knowledge she uses to change his mind should have been in the film rather than have it seem to be pulled out their arse. It wouldn't have taken much, and it's not as if there wasn't stuff they could easily have dropped to make way for this Chekov's Gun (such as telling us the Apollo 11 story again within half an hour of a lengthy flashback to it. I still think those two scenes should have been merged).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You know I said about how one of them was wearing a cloak? That's Megatron. He's the one wearing a cloak. He's either going to be Megatron or one of Violenjiger's Destron Generals, and I'm fairly sure they weren't in Chicago to cause confusion.
So that's Starscream, all the original Autobots bar Bumblebee and presumably all the Protoforms in ROTF (unless I'm forgetting some other explanation for how they came to Earth from that ship) and a YMMV thing on Megatron and the Fallen's more elaborate spaceship modes and the fact there's no indication of any other way the first film Decepticons came to Earth either. I'd say that's enough of a representative sample to go with it being a standard ability, which makes sense considering their inbuilt alt mode changing abilities, all they really need to do is have the same space vehicle templates downloading.
How long have they been buried on the moon? How is that a big enough sample? I can name... what... thirty Pretenders. This does not mean all Transformers have Pretender shells. We do not know enough about the abilities of scanning alt modes, we can only infer. For all we know, being able to do it at a drop of a hat is a skill particular to Bumblebee, Skids, Mudflap and Megatron (who has the Allspark there). Indeed, the Twins' scene suggests some sort of preparation might well be necessary - otherwise they'd have scanned something, anything else in Shanghai.

There are far, far too many instances in the films where instant alt mode switching would be deployed - Demolishor and Sideways once their cover's blown, Team Sam when on the run, the Autobots when under aerial attack in Chicago, the Autobots when surrounded by military hardware in Egypt, Barricade when he's easily identified by Sam outside Mission City and so on and so forth - to suggest it's universally easy; Bumblebee's change is the freak occurence, not everything else.

All of which is rendered totally pointless by the actual intention of the Space Bridge. It's an instant attack, not a simple transport system (Charlotte Mearing actually uses words to that effect, with which Sentinel confers). Case in point - a hundred Decepticons appearing instantly in the middle of Washington DC, completely overwhelming the sizeable Autobot/human forces defending the area. Whereas a hundred meteors falling to Earth could be tracked and either shot down or have reception parties prepared for them in the time they take to fall.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:You know I said about how one of them was wearing a cloak? That's Megatron. He's the one wearing a cloak. He's either going to be Megatron or one of Violenjiger's Destron Generals, and I'm fairly sure they weren't in Chicago to cause confusion.
But again, how does she know Megatron wears a cloak now?

There are far, far too many instances in the films where instant alt mode switching would be deployed - Demolishor and Sideways once their cover's blown, Team Sam when on the run, the Autobots when under aerial attack in Chicago, the Autobots when surrounded by military hardware in Egypt, Barricade when he's easily identified by Sam outside Mission City and so on and so forth - to suggest it's universally easy; Bumblebee's change is the freak occurence, not everything else.
Yep, I've thought that's a flaw with the idea since it was introduced in... was it RID? It saves on story time but never gets used in anything like a logical way. I'd have also thought the ease with which most Transformers we've seen do it take on new alt modes in the films suggests they could do it again any time they like (if, say, Jazz can become a Porsche so casually why not something else half an hour later? There are theoretical ways this could be handwaved, but considering it's such a potentially useful power it's something the films themselves should have addressed directly).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

How do we know it's so easy? We have no idea how much energy it burns - the first time is a necessity, and they all pick the first vehicle they see - I'm not sure what exactly is particularly casual about Jazz, is he meant to be fretting and pacing when scanning a car through a showroom window or something? What makes you think he puts any thought into it at all? Why should he be able to do it half an hour later?

Only Bumblebee changes alternate mode in a casual fashion - the Twins have vehicles ready for scanning at a sheltered base, Megatron's chock full of Allspark. Bumblebee is really the sole aberation, not the hundreds of other characters who do it once and stick. And even with Bumblebee, he could have been in vintage Camaro form for some time.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

You're forgetting about Lazerbeak. He changes alt modes all the time. And I got the impression that Frenzy could do it, too. But both of them are infiltrators and spies...so if it is a special ability to be able to change that often, you'd definitely want them to have it.

Conversely, it could be that they just don't change that often (like Sideways and Demolishor) because once they're engaged with other Transformers, it's easy to tell what machines are sentient and which ones aren't. Also, even the humans seem to have technology to be able to tell the difference. So once your cover is blown, changing forms isn't going to help you until after you get away and hide for a while first.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, no - alternate forms aren't just about disguise; in Egypt the Autobots are surrounded by tanks and stuff to scan which would have been handy against those hordes of protoforms, while Team Sam are under attack from Starscream when the easy way to escape would be to scan the F-22 and fly off. In both cases they don't, suggesting it's not generally a formality.

It being a special ability of scouts and spies to change forms easily is the most logical conclusion to draw from the films.

Again, though, the main function of the Spacebridge is to instantly transport an army from their base to their objective to swamp defences. If nothing else, those Decepticon ships must surely be able to manage translunar travel as it's difficult to imagine Transformers having much use for anything else. They're just a lot harder to shoot down if they pop out of thin air rather than having to enter the atmosphere conventionally.