[UK convention/other meetups]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Blinkin' eck, see that's a shot where Megatron looks properly dangerous. I never liked how in the Marvel UK series he went from being genuinely evil and nasty to pantomime villain.

Shockwave had the edge, being utterly cold and calculating. I remember however, feeling utterly robbed reading some of the final issues of the UK comic. They were written by Furman, yet he'd had some kind of lobotomy as far as Shockwave was concerned, affixing silly TV-computer style talk to his speech bubbles:

Interrogative: You are too emotional to be a Decepticon leader. Conclusion: One concentrated blast of my purple wrist cannon will atomise you blah blah blah...

Hated that.

But yes, Megatron punching Springer into the ground like that, you could imagine the exact same scene with Galvatron and Magnus, with Galv sporting the same expression.

And Eugenesis signed by Roberts too! I'd personally go for his brain in a jar wired up to a word processor, perhaps with a circa '83 Steve Martin for accompaniment.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I do like those Senior covers, a couple of them haven't been him at his best but him at his second best literally bleeds cool. It's nice he's returning to do some interior work on the issue zero thing.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It was a shame to wrap with the last few original issues with Irwin Spoon being phoned in, but I don't mind the comedy elements of Earthforce personally.
inflatable dalek wrote:he's returning to do some interior work on the issue zero thing.
Sold.
inflatable dalek

Jose Delbo is doing a story in it as well! YAY!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cool. It'd be awesome if they could get back Galan and Yaniger as well, to give the former a fair shot and the latter free reign over a short story.
inflatable dalek

Other convention memories:

Everyone being very polite at my strange urge to talk about the brilliance of Dean Stockwell for an hour.

The 12 year old who knew more about the Marvel and IDW comics than pretty much everyone else there (he was also a regeneration one fan, but had the excuse of being 12 years old).

Going for a drink during the party and coming back and sitting on the wrong table with a bunch of strangers like a wacky sitcom character.

Me being the only person who thought Andrew Griffith looked like Nathon Fillion.

A conversation I was having with Chris McFeely about Dreamwave being interrupted as Andrew Turnbull started laughing so hard he turned the same colour I imagine Elvis must have been just before he died as he friend told him an increasing disturbing joke about the Saturdays (that's the girl band for all you old folks out there).
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

The strange thing is that I met more people going for a smoke outside than INSIDE the convention.

The 12 year old was shocking, but I still think he memorised really well what his dad or mom told him so he can ask all the questions they want and not be debunked all the time.

That table thing was fun, dalek, and the funniest thing is that I still owe you for that coke I never paid back :p
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Kids do absorb information. If Mom or Dad have a load of reprints odds are he'd have them fresh in mind.

It was pleasantly surprising how many families were there breaking up the usual clientele a bit. Including that chap in the Roberts queue who'd only recently found LSOTW and gotten a bit stiffed by a dealer at something upwards of twenty quid for the paperback edition. I always assume anyone reading the comics now knows about Dreamwave, for instance -- it's nice that there are actually new readers.
inflatable dalek

Knightdramon wrote:The strange thing is that I met more people going for a smoke outside than INSIDE the convention.

You did seem to make one very good smoking friend on the Saturday night (a very nice woman, but when I ran into her on the Sunday morning she was mainly asking when you would turn up). :;
The 12 year old was shocking, but I still think he memorised really well what his dad or mom told him so he can ask all the questions they want and not be debunked all the time.
I did think it was a good idea the Eggheads quiz didn't patronise him by fiddling the contest to let him in the final just because he was a kid. I must admit to being biased against him though because I'm just about of the right age (and I'm guessing Denyer will know what I'm talking about?) to remember when they had an insanely scary and evil looking 12 year old antiques expert as a guest on Wogan. I just sort of expect kids like that to wind up EVIL.

Which isn't fair on them of course.

It was kind of amazing we wound up basically babysitting some very young children sat in front of us during the one talk where the parents couldn't be arsed to watch them. I think the father (?) made a couple of brief tokenistic "Don't talk to strangers" style comments but was otherwise happy to be able to listen to James Roberts uninterrupted whilst we had to put up with all the questions and picking up the little green car the one boy had everytime he threw it on the floor just because he knew we'd pick it up.

Though I did get to say "One eyed monster" to the one child in an entirely acceptable context, so which made it worthwhile.
That table thing was fun, dalek, and the funniest thing is that I still owe you for that coke I never paid back :p
Well you have to come next year now to buy me one back.

Though I may have been paid back by using the photo I took of you, Marian and Denyer in a discussion with some friends who said "So it was just like The Big Bang Theory then?".

I just showed them that picture, pointed at your sister and said "Ah no, it's totally different because the good looking woman is actually one of the geeks as well rather than a slightly puzzled outsider AH HA! You are wrong!"

They tried to counter by saying there were some female geeks in Big Bang Theory but I think I won by creating confusion via a Smokescreen style smokescreen by getting everyone mixed up on the difference between Greeks and geeks.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

inflatable dalek wrote:I did think it was a good idea the Eggheads quiz didn't patronise him by fiddling the contest to let him in the final just because he was a kid. I must admit to being biased against him though because I'm just about of the right age (and I'm guessing Denyer will know what I'm talking about?) to remember when they had an insanely scary and evil looking 12 year old antiques expert as a guest on Wogan. I just sort of expect kids like that to wind up EVIL.

Which isn't fair on them of course.

...that kid is now a woman. Read into that what you will.:swirly:

I think I need to make the effort and go to AA next year...
inflatable dalek

Skyquake87 wrote:...that kid is now a woman. Read into that what you will.:swirly:

Which is fair enough in and of itself, but the documentary about him undergoing that procedure did make it seem like the combination of the gleeful evil of the British public (which as said, I was a part of) and his fame hungry twatish parents completely ****ed him up up mentally.

I hope she's happy now though.

And yes you should. I need someone who can join in my Dean Stockwell obsession.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:It was kind of amazing we wound up basically babysitting some very young children sat in front of us during the one talk where the parents couldn't be arsed to watch them.
Eh, they were alright. The PA was so loud it wasn't as if anything was actually going to distract anyone. And apparently there is actually an audience for those cars with no transformation apart from the flip-out weapons.
"Don't talk to strangers"
I think it was more to the effect of not waving toys in people's faces, which he wasn't particularly.

From the surname I assume these -- i.e. those three were only half of them :wtf:
https://www.facebook.com/autoassembly/p ... 4911772082

Reminds me, I really must look into heat-based vasectomy.
I'm guessing Denyer will know what I'm talking about?) to remember when they had an insanely scary and evil looking 12 year old antiques expert
Denyer's pretty hazy on things that happened last week, and doesn't recall ever watching Wogan. Something to do with Antiques Roadshow Junior, perhaps?
inflatable dalek

Denyer wrote:Eh, they were alright. The PA was so loud it wasn't as if anything was actually going to distract anyone. And apparently there is actually an audience for those cars with no transformation apart from the flip-out weapons.
I know, I'm a grumpy, horrible old man. I do think it was fairly obvious that the panel wasn't of any interest to the kids whatsoever it was more than a bit unfair to make them sit there for that long with only the three weirdos sitting behind them as a distraction. If you're going to bring children that young with you you're going to have to make sacrifices during the long talky bits (and if there were two parents there the sensible thing would have been for them to alternate who got to sit and listen and who got to take the kids off either to look at the toys, do one of the workshops or go do something in Birmingham for a bit).

yes, backseat parenting from a man with no children. That's what I do.

I think it was more to the effect of not waving toys in people's faces, which he wasn't particularly.
I don't think other than those couple of tokenistic remarks, the father was really paying much attention to anything other than the panel he was watching.
Denyer's pretty hazy on things that happened last week
Ah, that's why you looked confused when that one child called you "Daddy".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Still, they might have learnt things, even if those things were along the lines of "that Arcee was a Target store exclusive in the US" and "it's a really bad idea to chew anything bought from a dealer table".
inflatable dalek

And that one boy did trump Knightdramon telling him about the inactive volcanoes of Greece by talking about the live exploding ones he'd nearly been killed by in Wales.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

The kids were good fun, but then again the music was so loud half of the time I had no clue what that boy was telling us. I do believe though that we made excellent baby sitters, if only because I passed on the infinite wisdom of "DON'T PUT THINGS YOU BOUGHT LOOSE AT THE DEALER TABLE IN YOUR MOUTH"

I'm kind of sad that I bought all my toys on Sunday, if I had the FOC Jazz on me I'd just give it to the kids and have them leave us alone for a while :lol:

I met more people outside than that girl, it's just that I bumped into them while I was alone later on instead of in your company :lol: I met two awesome guys that "hated" me because it appears I am one of the 0.01% of fans that has an MP Rodimus with no problems, a woman that would travel to Greece on the next day, and lots of others :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

Well I made friends too, like... err... the woman who had a little orgasm when James Roberts touched her.

What kind of sad crazy person would be that obsessed with a writer?
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hey there Dalek!

I've been through this thread, I swear you posted some links to an Auto Assembly podcast that was exclusively about James and Nick... but it's not here. I went looking on the interweb (they may as well call it the InterWebb, now), but all I came across (matron!) was a podcast featuring guys from different TF forums.

Also, I think you posted up some links of James talking at length about Issues 19 & 20. I'm sure you've probably linked those in the Issue 19 and 20 threads but I thought I'd check here all the same!
inflatable dalek

You want James Roberts podcasts? I'll give you James Roberts podcasts till they're bleeding from your ears!

THIS thread has links to not one, not two, but three podcasts. One with James and Nick talking about Overlord in general and Last Stand of the Wreckers issue 2 in particular; one with James and Alex talking through Shadowplay and one with James by himself chewing the fat.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Brilliant! thanks Dalek. I've got a new phone and unlimited data contract so I can stream these while I'm at work pretending to do stuff.