The Transformers Partwork Discussion Thread.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Waiting till you can get three in one go will give you free postage as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Random tangent: Do we know what the sitch with Ancient Relics is?

I mean presumably the Action Force issues were included in Transformers Classics UK vol 4 (helpfully the Waki article for this volume uses story names rather than issues)... but that was in, what, 2013?

Has any of the UK Action Force comic ever even been reprinted anywhere on its own merits?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Other than as G.I.Joe: European Missions in the late '80s/ early '90s, I don't think so...

In exciting hachette news, they've delivered me #11-14 all in one go. With bookends (which will actually come in useful). And they've changed my address!
inflatable dalek

Heady up folks, issue 16 (Primacy) has a printing error that means some pages are replaced by those from the preceding War and Peace book. No work (or even acknowledgement of the problem) from Hachette yet, so if you're not subscribing but are interested in that one, best hold off to see how/if it's fixed.

Those wacky guys.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Hachette are very good at this, aren't they.
inflatable dalek

So, the Windblade issue also has pages in the wrong order.

They've not actually taken the money for the August issues from me yet (it would normally have been within a day of the Who one, which was last week), so I'm wondering if they're holding off so as to only send fixed copies. Which is fine, but they should really tell people they're doing that.

People who have paid silly money for advance copies of Perchance to Dream on Ebay have apparently spotted new spelling mistakes in the formally black and white stuff as well...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

My copy of Primacy is free of errors! I had a flip through to check...haven't read it all yet, though.

...people really have no patience these days, do they?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Just received a replacement copy of Primacy. No idea if the pages were wrong in the previous one or fixed in this. Haven't checked.

#GoodContent
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:People who have paid silly money for advance copies of Perchance to Dream on Ebay have apparently spotted new spelling mistakes in the formally black and white stuff as well...
Would be surprised if there isn't a deal to reprint the coloured stuff in blocks, somewhere along the line.

It'd be nicer to have full sized reprints of the b&w stuff IMO personally...

And a complete G2 with Joes issues and Ghosts of course.
inflatable dalek

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Just received a replacement copy of Primacy. No idea if the pages were wrong in the previous one or fixed in this. Haven't checked.

#GoodContent

Same here, bar the fact I have checked.

Read a bit of Monstrosity, I quite enjoy the Dille stuff (well, assuming he contributed more than which bits of his 86 film dialogue was used), mainly thanks to Livio's art. I do wish they'd made it cartoon continuity though rather than trying to awkwardly slam it into the IDW stuff when Barber and Roberts were doing quite detailed and contradictory pre-war stuff at the same time.

Still waiting on the August books...

EDIT:

Oh, and though I didn't see the TFN panel as I was on my own stage at the time, apparently (and people might want to sit down for this), the World's Collide story from the Armada comic is going to be included.

But not G2. Or the Avengers crossover...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...I got a replacement copy of Primacy too. Which would be fine, except there's nothing wrong with the first copy I have.

And again, no August issues yet. Probably due to them going back to the printers to get Primacy sorted out.

Have to be honest, this is the first time I've really gotten Livio's art. Its still dark, murky and the proportions are off, but there's a lot more colour and it feels like he's put more effort into the story-telling, so things are a bit easier to see and you can tell what's happening. And I enjoyed Primacy too!

I also liked Hearts Of Darkness, which I really wasn't expecting to, given how popular opinion says its rubbish. I loved the art on it, which had a nice European flavour and I liked Abnett and Lanning's 2000AD sensibilities shining through on this.

...I think my general opinion on the IDW stuff is changing with a bit of distance. Although I'll be interested to see how the Costa stuff fares (assuming they're getting to it).

I'm guessing they're doing the Armada storyline because the heralds in that were all G1 characters, so therefore it's cannon...? The editorial line on what is and isn't part off the 'main' G1 continuity seems quite flexible, so I don't understand why, quite honestly, they're just not going for everything - I suspect they might get around to things like Armada, Energon and Beast Wars if subscriptions stay strong enough to allow this to carry on after its planned run. Although if the keep making a hash of things, it will definitely be a case of deciding how much I want to read this stuff measured against a chaotic and feeble customer service.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Oh hey, the two newest volumes of the Complete IDW Simon Furman Transformers Partwork have arrived.

- Part 2 of Regeneration One.
- Maximum Dinobots and some assorted Spotlights that I would have put before Revelation but hey I'm not in charge of sequencing this car crash.
inflatable dalek

They've actually skipped two issues for (all?) subscribers to allow for the Windblade reprint. But not bothered to tell anyone. Meaning the folk who've already had a reply to their emails about it are now doing Hachette's job of keeping subscribers informed...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...I was just pleased they turned up and I didn't have to ask them to send the books to me this time. Sigh.

I wonder what's happening at Hachette that this has been such a mess? Or are all their partworks like this?

Maybe I should have gone to that panel at TFNation and asked!
inflatable dalek

In the reply I finally got, Hachette not only confirmed the swap, but casually mentioned the reason for skipping two issues is 1/Earthforce has a misprint as well. Presumably the new spelling mistakes I've seen people mention in the coloured B&W stories?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...how do you get spelling mistakes from reprinting something..? that's impressive. Or are they having to re-letter as well as recolour...?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

So #18 & 19 arrived today! I've read the Windblade collection already and really enjoyed it! I sound like a broken record, but I'm really enjoying the stuff I haven't read before (which is an awful lot of IDWs stuff) and I can see why Terome was so enthusiastic about this in one of them there podcasts - it is a mature piece of writing in that its about everyone trying to work together. Its really interesting to see the Autobot / Decepticon war from the perspective of a former native. Rattrap and Scoop can still get f**Ked. I don't think I've been more annoyed with two portrayals of Transformers in my life. Rattrap is...I dunno. I don't get his association with Starscream and I do think a big problem I have with him is that I can't divorce him from his Beast Wars persona...and this isn't Beast Wars, but he's written like his Beast Wars version... I dunno. Animated did stuff like this better, throwing in characters in from other continuities. I just don't get why, a spy guy like Rattrap would shack up with someone like Starscream. And Scoop is just the worst. I enjoyed Galvatron deflating his beliefs with the reality of all this mystical prophecy guff he spouts in the 'Onyx' arc from Transformers - which was also pretty good. I don't know what's going on with Thundercracker and his dog, but that's kind of sweet.

Haven't read the other volume, but had a quick flick through it and liked seeing the B&W Marvel UK stuff coloured up :)
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

The Battlechargers are on the cover art for a comic collection released in the year of our lord 2017.

What even is life.
inflatable dalek

They're even relevant to the contents!
inflatable dalek

If they intro the characters every issue, I could see that being removed for the original trade as redundant.

Picked up a couple of issues of the new 2000AD partwork, and considering it's also Hachette it really is annoying how much better the covers are despite also (presumably?) being cheap stock images. Actually big eye catching cover art with a nice tasteful border round the side. Not the Frankenstein like grafting of a frequently tenuously connected stock image on top of a faded moment from the actual comic. Which surely must take more time, putting the two images in the template rather than just the one big one? They're putting that little bit more effort in on the Transformers book to make sure the front looks terrible.

Hell, I mean Halo Jones is even on the front of the Halo Jones book rather than Blurr (who of course is the star of the forthcoming Megatron Origin cover).

Really hits home how we're not getting the Hachette's A team on this. More their monkeys banging rocks team.