Protoform

Power Of The Primes Cutthroat

Post by Skyquake87 »

Name: Cutthroat
Allegiance: Deceoticon
Sub Group: Terrorcons
Function: Shock Trooper

“Compassion is the currency of losers.”

Bio: Not a trace of mercy can be found among his microchips. Insatiable lust for destruction. In battle, lashes out with wings, beak and claws to cut everything to ribbons. In creature mode, can leap 4 miles in one jump, breathes flame. In robot mode, carries double-barrelled magnetizer that oppositely charges any metal targets so it tears itself apart. Combines with fellow Terrorcons to form Abominus.

Cutthroat. What a great name and statement of intent for this grisly rascal. I like to think the Sepultura song is named after him. Probably isn't. See, this is why I love the Terrorcons. Utter nobodies in the grand pantheon of Transformers but with great names and both colourful bios and toys to make them memorable and important to me. They've never had much of a chance to shine, just sort of turning up and being there in the cartoons and comics, but their turn in The Return Of Optimus Prime and Time Wars had them on my lust list for a good long while. So I was pleased they've got an outing in the Generations line, even if it was as part of the underwhelming Power Of The Primes line.

Robot Mode: A graduate of the handsome robot modelling school, Cutthroat's smooth metallic face and lithe form belies someone with a penchant for violence. He's clearly the Joffery Baratheon of the Terrorcons. He looks quite smart and well mannered in his nougat and green livery, accented by some bright dollops of purple. I like the replication of the old sticker decals here too. Nice. He's fairly decently proportioned, save for the legs, which are these great podgy things. I don't know why they're so big and I'm going to chalk that up to sharing a mould with Swoop.

Alternate Mode: A Rodan looking chicken/ dragon monster, not a million miles from Transformers Prime's Predacons. It's quite horrible looking, but I like it. It's a little baggy around the rear thanks to the fat robot legs, but is otherwise pretty horrifying. I like the alt-mode for giving me Harryhausen vibes. I can easy see this as some stop motion creature making life hard for the likes of Sinbad or Perseus.

Marks Out Of Ten For The Following :

Transformation Design: Standard combiner wars fare, so nothing to get excited about. It's the same sequence we've seen 94 times already by now. Nothing new to see here, which in a strange way makes it feel less than it's 1980s counterpart. Itself hardly a beacon of originality. Those older Scramble City combiner limbs just carry off the repetition that much better. Maybe it's because they're simpler toys. In a way, it's a shame this doesn't have some of the pizazz of the Prime Beast Hunters figure. But that's not what we're looking for in Generations. 5/10

Durability: Another Transformer plagued by the part that falls off all the time. In this case, the monster mode's head. It clearly needed a pin, but it doesn't have one and is just clipped into place, so tends to fall off all the time. Everything else is fine and solid enough – albeit showing that strange looseness all these Combiner Wars mould reuse/ retools have. 6/10

Articulation: Pretty standard stuff for a Deluxe. Does what it needs to to give you some decent posing power in robot mode. Beast mode can't do much – the wings and head can move about and there is leg articulation at the hips, but it's not quite enough to get into that wing, beak and claw action of the bio. 7/10

Fun: I have had fun with Cutthroat, but not as much as I expected. Maybe it's the inevitability of the Generations line. I was looking forward to the Terrorcons for such a long time. And now they are here and that is that. The Power Of The Primes armour gimmick is also rubbish. 7/10

Price/Value: £15.99, so standard POTP Deluxes prices. I wouldn't pay more than this, as the Cutthroat does feel a bit cheap. 6/10

Overall: As you can tell, I'm a little underwhelmed by Cutthroat. I like the character and the intent, but as he's a repeat use of the by now over familiar Combiner Wars play pattern, I'm struggling to find much enthusiasm for a type of toy I'm frankly a little bored of transforming in exactly the same way as all the others. It's money for old rope to keep the fans happy at the end of the day, and that rope is feeling very old here. Worse, he doesn't feel like the quality bit of kit that mould-mate Swoop does. Why are these mould reuses so loose and wibbly? 6/10
Attachments
POTP Cutthroat 01 (480x640).jpg
POTP Cutthroat 01 (480x640).jpg (186.37 KiB) Viewed 6418 times
POTP Cutthroat 02 (640x480).jpg
POTP Cutthroat 02 (640x480).jpg (178.1 KiB) Viewed 6418 times
Denyer

Re: Power Of The Primes Cutthroat

Post by Denyer »

They're not actually using existing moulds for the main figure parts are they? Just saving time costs (and bringing a certain amount of consistency) by starting with the same CAD files and tweaking them. It's not like a club figure where the original mould's been used plus a separate one for a new head etc.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Power Of The Primes Cutthroat

Post by Skyquake87 »

Not that I can make out, but the mechanics are the same as the CW moulds.