Post in here and we'll do what we can to help

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
schazbocht
Protoform

Post by schazbocht »

hi, i seem to be having a problem of accesssing and posting in the chat box although i have already posted in a few forums.

Can you try and find out if there is something wrong.
Muse, Klaxons and Tenacious D are the best!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Doesn't look as if there's anything wrong... does it say anything under the box?

(Also: what browser are you using?)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer, I keep trying to ban you but it keeps telling me I'm not an admin, and that I should **** off. Can you sort it out? kplsthnx!
Civ

Can't stay logged in.

Post by Civ »

Erm...I have a bit of a problem here. I can't stay logged in after logging in. I seem to login in normally, then whenever I want to go to another page, I'm automatically logged out. I could be in the quickie login at the bottom of the main page or the formal login page and I get the same result.

I checked my cookies and they appear to be fine...could be wrong though. Strangely, I don't seem to have a problem with my account on TFW2005 and stay logged in over there just fine, which leads me to believe something with this site doesn't agree with my account. Anyone ever experience this?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not really -- been logged in on this machine for months at a time. What browser are you using, and have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? Does the problem occur in other browsers?
Civ

Post by Civ »

I tried resetting my internet browsers for both Firefox and Internet Explorer. No change. Still can't stay logged in. Cleaned cookies and cache.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Settings are correct in your account (they're the same as mine in this respect) -- are you using a firewall other than the one built into XP/Vista? I seem to recall ZoneAlarm having cookie-specific settings, though the last time I used it was several years ago.

Any third-party ad blockers or other traffic filters? Company network proxy server?
Civ

Post by Civ »

I have no idea why I'm able to stay logged in now (for the moment) since all I did was shutdown for the night and then boot my computer back up. I don't even know why restarting my computer would have done anything that seemed to be a site-specific problem.

I do have Zonealarm Security Suite and it does have all sorts of blockers. Third party ad blockers, cookie blockers, and the rest of the works. I tried all of that last night by setting them on the lowest (least secure) possible settings and the problem still occurred. As for the server, it would be my home server -- Comcast. I don't know if that would play a role or not since I've been using them for over a year now without any problems.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

We've ruled out probable browser issues by trying multiple browsers. A generic problem on this server would affect lots of users, not just you.

If the modem was been powered down and back up as part of that boot sequence, you've probably been assigned a different IP and handling server. That shouldn't really make any difference unless Comcast has an unusual proxy setup. (If it was AOL I wouldn't be at all surprised.)

I don't know exactly how ZoneAlarm suite works, but it'll certainly be using a proxy of its own. It's possible -- quite likely, actually -- that changing its settings temporarily allowed the cookie to stick but a reboot was required to clear its proxy caches.

Quite why it would block forum cookies unless there's an existing rule in ZA that overlaps or someone's created accidentally ... dunno.
Wolfang_guest

Post by Wolfang_guest »

I've changed my e-mail address and now I can't participate in any contact with board members- pm, e-mail and topic replies/posts are not allowed.

Please help.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Have you received a "need to reconfirm your account" email at the new address?
Guest/Biddybot

Trapped!

Post by Guest/Biddybot »

Hi! Just registered yesterday afternoon, was sent the activation notice, activated account with apparently no problem, and promptly got stuck in limbo! The online listing showed that I was logged on, but when I tried to access my profile I got redirected to the not logged on/unregistered page, then found all the forums except this one were still read only--can't reply, etc--plus which I couldn't log off! Giving the computer a rest overnight seemed to clear the problem or so I thought. Logged back on about twenty minutes ago and I'm stuck again! I think the problem's due to my turning off an 'on' default setting that had to do with proxy links, but I can't get onto the profile page to change it. Other possible cause for the problem: I'm using a computer that goes through a government server which I know has its filters set on 'high'...your activation notice was tagged as 'possible spam' when it showed up in my in-box. If there are any real concerns about a site, it usually just gets filtered out entirely, though. (eg. ezboard.com) I've got accounts at other sites and have no trouble posting there. Any help for the helpless? This looks like a nice community and I'd love to participate as well as just read. Thanks!
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Wolfang_guest
I've changed my e-mail address and now I can't participate in any contact with board members- pm, e-mail and topic replies/posts are not allowed.

Please help.

If you tell me what you changed your e-mail address to (for account verification) and I can sort it.

@ Biddybot, I can only imagine it's because you chose to browse without cookies and the session is timing out as you're going. If you have access on your computer to check for them, it might be worth deleting the cookie associated with TFArchive (if there is one) and trying again.
Wolfang-guest

Duh!

Post by Wolfang-guest »

It's ste_latham001@yahoo.com. Sorry Skywarp.
Thanks.
StoneCold Skywarp

check that address for an important message
Guest/Biddybot

No Luck

Post by Guest/Biddybot »

Bummer! I just deleted everything in my temp files, including everything tfarchive-related, and it hasn't changed anything. I'm still 'sort of' logged on right now and listed as being on-line beneath the forum index page, but trying to do anything, including trying to log off, redirects me to the page notifying me that I need to register first.

Is it possible for you to delete my account so I can try re-registering from scratch or should I try registering a second account under a different username? If the same thing happens even with the cookie option activated, then at least I'll know the problem's at my end and probably security-related.

Thanks!
StoneCold Skywarp

account has been nuked, please try again :)
Guest/Biddybot

Post by Guest/Biddybot »

Stonecold Skywarp: The problem is at my end. Re-registered as you suggested and the exact same things happened...your e-mail was tagged as possible spam, I can still only log on 'well enough' to be counted as being online, but can't actually do anything. On a hunch, I tried using a different public computer earlier today and of course everything was suddenly fine...had no trouble creating a new thread or posting a reply so I AM registered! It's gotta be the darn security blocks on my work computer. Still odd that your site comes up so readily then, even so...

Anyhoo, thank you for your patience and your help. I'll remain mostly a lurker from now on, but at least I now know I have an option should I wish to contribute to the forums and I hope to maybe chat at you there sometime in the future.

Thanks again and cheers!
Biddybot
Wolfang_guest

Post by Wolfang_guest »

My mail with Yahoo seems to be on a go-slow. I hate Yahoo.
Wolfang_guest

Post by Wolfang_guest »

Sky? Sorry... I'm being a pain in the buttocks... it's been nearly a week and nothing's come through on my Yahoo mail.

Any chance you can edit my e-mail address to coal_tiger@hotmail.co.uk?