We've moved from vBulletin to phpBB

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Denyer

We've moved from vBulletin to phpBB

Post by Denyer »

Assuming you're reading this, things seem to have gone well enough to turn the forum back on... there are still things that need doing though, like fixing some things to do with attachments and permissions. (2019/01/03: the search indexes should now be rebuilt and working again).

In essence we've moved off vBulletin because neither 3.x nor 4.x will work with supported versions of key server software shortly, and 5.x has a lot of site owners complaining about it. So this represents a slightly rushed project to keep things going and not too different from the old forum. As a bonus this layout should work quite well with mobile devices. (The rest of the site also needs some TLC in that respect, I know, and I need to recreate things like galleries -- we intend to keep as much stuff online as possible).

Apologies that the conversion script brought across most user-uploaded avatars but not user-uploaded signature images directly -- it doesn't work the same way with this software. If it's one you aren't going to change frequently we can host it here, and here's the ones I grabbed from the old forum that looked like signature images:

tfarchive.com/forums/images/oldsigs/

Also let me know if anything seems broken / you can't spot how to do something. I'm still getting to grips with it myself but I'm sure we can figure things out.

:wave:
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Protoform

Re: New forum software

Post by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Is it possible this screwed with passwords?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, it may have had problems with passwords containing certain characters.

Emails should be working for anyone that needs to reset theirs, but do remember to check spam folders.

Bit more discussion on passwords here -- viewtopic.php?f=56&t=55938
Hot Rod Here
Protoform

Post by Hot Rod Here »

So that why my password wasn't working.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I really like this, its clean and swishy looking. Thanks for all your hard work :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers. It's as close to a vanilla install as I could keep it with the customisation stacked on top with CSS, includes and one extension (to keep the profile on the left rather than the right) -- the idea's that things stay straightforward to keep updated.

Big thanks need to go to Brendan for continuing to host things and for juggling the server package upgrades in the order required to do multiple updates as well as the conversion. This gets us into a position where we can upgrade to a new server with the latest PHP etc, which'll probably be sometime this month.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If you're reading this, pretty sure it's the new server.

Still got a fair amount of tidying up and fixing to do but will have to fit it around work.