POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Skyquake87 »

Warcry wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:28 amThe number of folks you see on other sites pining for an "Earth-mode" retool kind of baffles me, though. It already looks like an Earth car so unless they're going to make him a licensed Countach, how would it be any different?
You'll be pleased to know one is showing up as an Amazon exclusive with a repaint of Kingdom Airrazor as Skywarp from BWII (part of the Japanese Magnaboss combiner). As an Amazon exclusive that (for once!) is available on Amazon UK, I've pre-ordered it. Got to be honest, the retooling they've done makes Sideswipe's alt-mode look a bit long and baggy in the rear. I'll report back once it's in hand. In October. Score one for fans unfulfilled imaginations, I guess.

Speaking of repaints, I bought

Siege Netflix Hotlink with Heatstroke & Heartburn
Now here's a fancy repaint done right. I binned Redwing to ebay and bought this guy with the proceeds, as I do quite like the Tetrajet mode. It's not great, but I think it's grown on me. Like moss. Either way, I appreciate what the designers were trying to do, even if they gave up in the end and just had the wings cover up a scrunched up robot lad. Hard to beat Skywarp's colours, but somehow Hotlink manages it, despite using the same black/ purple palette. He just looks incredible. The two Battlemasters are fine, and it's nice to have them again included with a larger figure - as they should be. The toothpaste colour they've chosen for the wee robots is definitely a choice and they only have an eye colour to tell them apart. Couple of blast effects for those easily impressed by such accessories round out the package.

Chinese KO Computron giftset
These are so naughty, but f**ked if I can be arsed paying vintage prices for slightly underwhelming combiners. Plastics are really nice and better than those used on some of Hasbro's legit reisssues (hello The Seacons and all the Platinum Reissues). Left off most of the stickers as Hasbro back in the day thought it'd be a good idea to place these over parts that scrap over them or in places that require repeat handling. I love the Technobots, but there are design choices here that spoil them. Lightspeed has one giant foot, Nosecone's arms are weird, Strafe's alt mode is a heap of nothing and Scattershot has a third mode looks like a dog's penis. The combined mode is a bit unattractive in places - Scattershot's massive legs just angled up out of the way and Lightspeed making for a bit of a rubbishy limb (ditto Nosecone, to be fair) but there's a charm to the chunky designs and Afterburner is just mega. Also came with a cheeky bootleg of the old Generations book that catalogued all of 1980s line (including the European and Japanese entries) plus Generation 2 and the concept designs/ animation model sheets.

Gobots Crasher
Here decked out in white and sponsored by Dunlop tyres and Rothmans cigarettes. Remember kids - don't smoke, or you'll end up like the Gobots. Dead and forgotten.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Skyquake87 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:10 pmThe two Battlemasters are fine, and it's nice to have them again included with a larger figure - as they should be. The toothpaste colour they've chosen for the wee robots is definitely a choice and they only have an eye colour to tell them apart. Couple of blast effects for those easily impressed by such accessories round out the package.
Those Battlemasters are the color of the flamethrower Hotlink wielded in his 3 seconds of screentime. That's also why the blast effects are orange.

I recently picked up:
G1 Jetfire - used from a comic shop for US$100. What little red armor he has is in such bad shape that it's fair to say he doesn't have any. Other than that, he's in pretty good shape. Stickers are still pristine. The spring loaded landing gear still works great. There's some slight discoloration on the back, but no worse than modern figures that don't quite match paint colors to unpainted plastic. He even has his gun. The only real flaw, which I didn't notice until I got him home, is that the pint connecting the tail fin section to the back is gone, and replaced with a much looser pin.

Earthrise Doubledealer - from the same comic shop for US$35. He appears to me MISB, with all the ties in place. But, one of his stabilizers is rattling around in there. Not opened yet.

Kingdom Megatron - regular retail, also not opened yet.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Cang Toys Land Bull (aka MP Tantrum)

He's a big bulky boy that becomes a bulky bull and then a big bulky shin. Fairly certain I could kill a man with it.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I got a movie MP Starscream in the mail the other day. I will call him King Dorito.

If you're old like me and still have the 2010 leader Starscream, it's broadly similar to that. The biggest difference is using the volume inside the jet to store those little engines that end up on the robot's back instead of batteries for the electronics, and of course a higher part-count and general increase in fiddli-ness in favor of accuracy. Well, accuracy for the robot, anyway. The jet mode seems to have more robot underneath than the old one, although it's not as bad as it looks in pictures.

I was pleased that it came with both the missile launcher and the buzzsaw weapons in one release instead of the studio series scheme of only having one accessory per deco. I can keep the HFTD Starscream as the ROTF/DOTM tattoo version (that's alotta acronyms!) as they're basically the same size anyway.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Optimus Prime t-shirt - From Big W.

Beast Machines Blast Punch Optimus Primal and Megatron - Was able to win these on eBay fairly cheaply, which is good because they fairly easy to transform.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series 86 Jazz
Had my eye on Jazz for a bit, and what a great figure he is! The robot mode is very tidy and he poses like a champ. Comes with his blaster thing and looks like a proper dude. Transformation is pretty inventive, taking what the original did and just fancying it up a bit. I like how there's so much car junk tucked up inside the roof, but it's so tidy on the robot's back you wouldn't notice. Vehicle mode is a good approximation of the Porsche and it rolls like a boss (or Boss, if you will) so instantly wins for me, given the failure of so many of Hasbro's recent Siege carbots to do just that. The only massive downside for me is the crappy minimal effort "cartoon accurate" paint job. With so much white, this really needs something to make the alt-mode pop, and this isn't enough.

Studio Series 86 Hot Rod
Yay Hot Rod! Love a good Hot Rod. Will this fancy new version be enough to replace my beloved Classics version...? Maybe. He is very, very good and Hasbro have even worked in a bit of pink to the usual red they give Hot Rod. Still not pink enough for my tastes, but it'll do. Robot is incredibly poseable and the opening fingers are nice, so he can do the whole 'Darkest Hour (tm)' thing with the Matrix. Only thing I don't like is the slightly messy looking legs - the bits of orange and yellow peeping out are unfortunate. Transformation's an involved affair, so I can instantly see why this attracted a Voyager price tag, but does feel a bit like showing off for the sake of it. Part of the reason Third Party toys are such are turn off are for silly fiddly clever-dick engineering like this. That said, after a few goes, I've found it enjoyable and appreciate what the designers were going for. Alt mode is really good, until you get to the rear. Like Jazz, the back is a bit of a mess of barely concealed robot leg parts. Again, the egregious yellow plastic on the roof spoils things (why couldn't this be magenta too?) but otherwise this is probably the nicest attempt yet at Hot Rod's alt mode. Apart from the guns and -at a push, the Matrix - all the accessories and rubbery bits of plastic are wasted on me. I must be the only Transformers fan who doesn't like blast effects. I find this toot annoying because I know I'm not going to get any use out of it and it's pushing the price up. It's a minor quibble, but I'd rather have had a Targetmaster...even if it is just the 94th repaint of the two Battlemaster robot moulds Hasbro are running into the ground.

Kingdom Ultra Magnus
Not as good as the Siege version, is my honest verdict. The robot mode is really good looking, but not really that much different from the Siege one. New head sculpt I think. Has the same sort of look as that SD Statue of Magnus dropping the Matrix has. Is that a good look? It's probably right for the character, but does underscore that Magnus is an also-ran. Most irritatingly, they've given him ankle tilts...but left him with the 'A' stance sculpted feet like the Siege version! Whyyyy?Stripping the armour off, White Prime is just as podgy as previously, but even more pigeon chested here, thanks to the Earth mode truck body. No effort to do something for the Transformation has been taken for the new toy, so you're stuck with a white cab with a pair of robot hands flapping about behind it. I'm sure if Hasbro wanted to, they could have made that Siege Optimus cab work for Magnus - it's just plugging on armour to him after all. Once the armour's all assembled into a trailer, the look is definitely less impressive than the Siege toy. The tractor cab really does look massive now and the trailer is just a gappy mess. It's fine and does the job, it's just not all that impressive for a figure with this price tag. Extra props for the moulded spots for an Autobot sigil and then not even bothering to sticker or tampograph them. All this isn't to say Magnus isn't a bad toy, he's just a bit perfunctory in his execution. And not as good as the Siege version.

Kingdom Arcee
I missed the Earthrise release somehow, so I'm glad she got a re-release in Kingdom. Not sure about the wisdom of that, truth be told as she's peg warming something rotten, along with the SS86 Autobot cars. Still at least it spares me aftermarket chancers ripping me off. Leaving aside the parts forming for a minute (General consensus of fandom - this was acceptable for Cliffjumper, but not Arcee. I despair), the robot mode is actually rather lovely - so long as you don't attach the back end of the car to her back. The Generations toy is arguably better, but I just can't get past that toy's weird hips that look like she couldn't stop a pig in an alley. It's nicely proportioned and she's got a sweet face and is incredibly posable. Not sure why her gun is transparent. I suppose I should be glad it's not pink. Transformation is what you'd expect for an Arcee toy - just tucking the robot mode up inside the shell of the car body. The car's alright. It looks a bit like something you'd see at a soapbox derby and isn't quite what I'd like. But then, when I think about it, if Arcee transformed as she should, she'd be more of a Voyager class Amazonian than the size zero supermodel we're all used to. That might be my preferred option. It'd certainly do away with parts forming of this extent. I think I'd prefer the parts forming if the back of the car did something more like Siege Shockwave and could be more of a proper flying platform thing, rather than, well, the back of a car folded out for her to stand on.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Kingdom Galvatron
Mildly surprised to have been able to find one today, and fortunate that mine has the properly assembled shoulders.
He looks better than the initial pictures that popped up a few months back. Easily the best Galvatron we've gotten thus far, though considering the competition that might not be much of a compliment.
He seems a little small for a leader. He's shorter than Kingdom Cyclonus, though one would expect that for scale. He's roughly the same height as the Titan's Return voyager. Might be a result of parts count, I guess.
There's some mildly interesting gimmickry in getting from the purple robot torso to the grey cylindrical cannon body, though not as cool as the bit with Kingdom Cyclonus disappearing the jet mode's nose section.
Accessory wise, I dig the Matrix on a chain. Nice little thing to have. Not really thrilled with the pair of guns based on the Decepticon ship, they feel unnecessary.
Overall, good figure and would definitely recommend it for anyone who wasn't satisfied with the old Universe tank or more recent Titan's Return figure.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Megatron (Beast), Ultra Magnus & Rodimus Prime - I wasn't able to get these at my local Big W during the toy sale, but a mate was nice enough to get them for me from a different Big W store.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

SS 86 Grimlock
Box was beat up in the store, but the figure inside was untouched. Very nice figure! Pretty chunky and big; good size for the leader class. With the shrinkage of many of the upcoming figures (Galvatron? Rodiums Prime?) with higher price points, this one feels fine to me at $50 USD. I would have preferred to have some other accessories like a sword, etc. instead of the mostly immobile Wheelie. I understand it's for the movie, but a small transforming Wheelie in the package would have made this a home run. As it is, I have a great Grimlock and a Wheelie that will mostly sit in a box.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I finally opened Earthrise Doubledealer. His bot and vehicle modes are legitimately good. His vulture mode is so bad it's good. It's just a bit annoying getting the legs to tab into place when going from one to another.

I picked up Furai model kit Autobot Megatron and Shattered Glass Optimus. I'd've prefered a Decepticon meg. But, it loks like the only difference is the face sculpt and sticker. I was putting together a G1 shelf of Decepticons and realized I didn't have a Voyager Megatron. The WFC figures all have ugly battle damage, and I wanted the curly design on the chest.

I got a lot of Kre-O via another forum from someone who just wanted me to cover shipping. For $30, I got: Optimus (big), Bumblebee (big), Bumblebee (little), Wheeljack and Knockout, Sentinel Prime, Megatron, sideswipe, Starscream, Ratchet, Mirage, Prowl, Jazz, the creatures that came with Windcharger and Trailbreaker, and a couple small, non-TF sets. No Kreons. I already own all of these kits, most of them multiple times over. But, now I have plenty of Kre-O ball joints, and other bricks, to make my own stuff.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I have three new Transformers this week!

Generations Selects Deep Cover
Siege Sideswipe has really grown on me since I picked it up...it's probably my favourite Autobot car Deluxe in the last decade or so. My only real gripe with it was that neither Sideswipe nor Red Alert came with a full loadout of weapons. Deep Cover rectifies that. He's got both the rifle and the rocket launcher, and he feels so much more complete because of it. The fit and finish seems a bit better than on either my Sideswipe or Red Alert, though I think those two might have just loosened a bit after two years' worth of being handled a fair bit. I really like the colours...the dark blue on the robot bits is really nice, and I've always liked Sideswipe molds with black car parts (I had G2 Sideswipe as a kid and that look's really stuck with me). They've made so many redecos of this thing that by now I just sort of assume that everyone has one. Heck, they've made two different Deep Covers (and the Netflix one with the reversed colours looks neat too)! But if you somehow don't have one yet and want one, I'd say that Selects Deep Cover is a good choice.

Kingdom Ractonite
Like Paleotrex, this toy definitely has the sort of retro-90s feel to it that lets it fit in very naturally with the original BW character designs. The beast mode feels like a tank made of bones. The robot mode has a very nice "knight" aesthetic to it, kind of like if the movie Dinobots were made of bones instead of spikes. It's kind of funny that this gleaming paladin of a robot is a Predacon! The styracosaurus skull is a great shield for other figures, though overall I feel like the rest of him doesn't work as neatly as armour and weapons as Paleotrex did. A nice figure overall.

Botcon Waruder Paralyzer
HOLY SHIT CLAY WAS NOT EXAGGERATING ABOUT THE FEET. They just flop around, it's crazy. The rest of the figure's joints are perfectly functional, I have no idea how they managed to just screw up the feet. The toy's limited range of motion in the legs stops it from being a real issue, though.

The colours are really, really nice. The pink, purple and black are perfectly balanced against the white in robot mode. In beast mode, the pink eyes are super eye-catching. The colour scheme is really different and definitely makes the guy stand out in a crowd of other robots. I really like it.

His mini-Waspinator partner (I think this little guy is called Buzzer?) is a nice little Targetmaster, but his colours are so different from Paralyzer that I'm not really sure what to do with him.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series 86 Kup
Ah, the flinty old warrior. This is nice. I liked the Titans Return toy but I like having the character looking something like without the Titan Master gimmick. The robot mode is nice and clean, so much so you wonder if this thing actually transforms. The pop off limbs is a fun feature, if a bit redundant without an enormous robot squid to attack him. The headsculpt is good, but he's a bit chinny and looks like he's stifling an unfortunate trouser accident. Transformation is pretty good - big fan of the front wheels unravelling from the chest. The clearances are a bit tight I've found, so you do end up with parts clashing as you try to get everything together. Once you do, you've a nice wee space pick up truck. Figure comes with his blaster which is nice and a pack of Energon goodies, which I'm bound to loose.

Studio Series 86 Blurr
Not sure what I make of this one. The overall look is screen accurate and I love the colours, but physically, I dunno. The Titans Return version of Blurr was such a banger it would seem to me just taking that design and tweaking it a bit was all that was required. Hasbro have done that, but somehow missed what made that such a good figure. Like Studio Series 86 Kup, the headsculpt is a bit off, being very long and horse-like with odd looking lips (why does a robot need lips?). The forearms are a weird one too. The jester's sleeves that make up the front of the car are connected directly to the wrists, nixing the wrist swivels, which is unfortunate. The transformation is a bit clunky and not as smooth as the older Titans Return figure, despite largely doing the same thing. The end result is a pretty nice looking hovercar, but has no wheels so isn't quite as much fun to play with either. In terms of accuracy, it's right, but this is a toy so feels a bit robbed of the things that would make it fun to play with like the other Autobot Cars.

Studio Series 86 Scourge
I feel dirty for paying aftermarket prices for this guy, but don 't understand why he seems to have been the only figure in the first wave of 6 Studio Series figures (and the only Decepticon) that's been so bloody hard to get. He's not quite as impressive as his chum Cyclonus, but does look very nice. He's all swoopy shapes and jaggedy angles, which is nice mix. I like his cross looking face, and how camp he looks with his beard and nail varnish. Transformation is pretty basic, given the clever stuff generally on show with recent Transformers toylines, with you just essentially wrapping the robot mode up in the wings on his back. It's fine because this doesn't strike me as a figure that needs to anything like the gymnastics of Cyclonus or Hot Rod, but does leave one with a slight feeling of being underwhelmed. He comes with a nice looking blaster and a very phallic looking purple blast effect.

Kingdom Inferno
A surprising treat, Inferno is a great figure! In all honesty this is just the 1980s toy done again with knees, but it works so well. The original Inferno toy was great and so this proves to be. The sculpting and design work is neat and he's nice and stocky looking. Only some hollowness in the legs is a major detractor, and he could have perhaps used something to break up the monotony of those read legs. Transformation is just a riff on the original and works in pretty much the same way, so there's nothing to get excited about. The alt-mode does look a bit long in the chassis though. The robot mode proportions don't seem to translate well into vehicle mode. It looks great though all the same and unusually for one of these things with those rubbishy clipped on wheels, it rolls pretty well. Some decent accessories are included - a cannon to plonk by the side of his head, a missile thing to replace one of his hands and his rifle.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:50 am Studio Series 86 Scourge
I feel dirty for paying aftermarket prices for this guy, but don 't understand why he seems to have been the only figure in the first wave of 6 Studio Series figures (and the only Decepticon) that's been so bloody hard to get.
Hardcore cartoon fans are buying six of them to make an army of Sweeps, of course. I think he may have been shortpacked on top of that (one of him vs. two Hot Rods). Though Hasbro just unveiled a Sweep re-release (literally the exact same toy with different hands) that will hopefully make him easier to find.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 pm
Kingdom Ractonite
If you have 2x Ractonite, you can make a crab monster: https://www.reddit.com/r/transformers/c ... mbination/

Botcon Waruder Paralyzer
HOLY SHIT CLAY WAS NOT EXAGGERATING ABOUT THE FEET. They just flop around, it's crazy. The rest of the figure's joints are perfectly functional, I have no idea how they managed to just screw up the feet. The toy's limited range of motion in the legs stops it from being a real issue, though.
Told ya so! Glad you like him, though! :)
His mini-Waspinator partner (I think this little guy is called Buzzer?) is a nice little Targetmaster, but his colours are so different from Paralyzer that I'm not really sure what to do with him.
One of the benefits of having the full set (and the Legends class Acid Storm with Venom) is being able to freely color code the minis to the deluxes. I'd take a picture, but I have a cat on my lap.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clay wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:21 pm If you have 2x Ractonite, you can make a crab monster: https://www.reddit.com/r/transformers/c ... mbination/
And if Deluxes weren't $33 up here, I probably would have two of them. But I suppose I'll just have to settle for building an abomination with Paleotrex.

Clay wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:21 pmTold ya so! Glad you like him, though! :)
Thanks again for the link!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Beast Wars Transmetals 2 Megatron - have been searching for this guy for a while, finally got him somewhat locally to me.

Kingdom Airazor & Huffer - Bought these two locally at different stores on discount.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Siege Cog, Skytread - A few weeks ago a mate from a Facebook Messenger chat group picked these up while picking something up for themself.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Warcry wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:53 pm Hardcore cartoon fans are buying six of them to make an army of Sweeps, of course.
How boring. As if Hasbro wasn't going to wring some more money out of such an obvious reuse.

Earthrise Decepticon Clones
Basically what Takara did. Putting figures that are part of a set together in a box. These are identical to the Takara releases, with silver faces and lacking the pink. They're fun, if unremarkable, figures. Hopefully Hasbro will learn from silly marketing decisions and making things exclusives in unobtainable sets. Oh, wait...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

“BY THE PIT! THIS IS INTOLERABLE!!!”

“You can say that again, Choppaface. I mean, lookit him! He’s freakin’ TINY! Yeesh.”

“Whadda you complainin’ about, Dumbo? I look a lot betta’n you!”

“Two Rattraps? Well, that’s just Prime.”

Dinobot looked down at Primal. “YOU BROUGHT THE SECOND ONE!!!!!”

So because it’s my birthday this week, my guess is that that’s the only reason I was finally able to find the one Netflix War for Cybertron Kingdom figure set I was looking for.

War for Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Netflix Optimus Primal and Rattrap: I’ve always wanted to get the old look Optimus Primal figure, but the closest I was able to get was a bad K.O. And then finally, today, I was able to find the Netflix version which seems to be the one that looks like the show model more. And I like the figure. The only change I’d have made is to make the shotgun arm cannons a bit longer. And I have to say, Rattrap looks pretty cool, too. Although he doesn’t hang together very well in rat mode. He does work, just not in scale.

And since I don’t think I’m the only one who got the Generations Selects G2 Megatron…..

Larkin’s Lair G2 Megatron Upgrade kit:. While I had gotten the orange piece that let you put the fusion cannon on the shoulder, it still didn’t look quite right. Enter the Larkin’s Lair upgrade kit(this isn’t a paid advertisement, unless somebody wants to send me a check), and the kit is great. It gives you a cannon that looks more like the cannon on the original G2 Megatron figure, and it looks really good. It also includes a hand gun to mimic the handgun, as well as panels to fill the gaps in the forearms. In three different colors. The green works. The purple might work, but it might look a bit odd. As for the grey….. I have no clue why those were included. They won’t fit the Siege version of the figure, so they really serve no purpose.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Rattrap - From Big W.

Cyberverse Deluxe Prowl & Starscream - From K-Mart.