A big thread about knockoffs

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
mastasini
Protoform

Post by mastasini »

another dutch speaking member? goed zo :-) ik stuur je wel een PM
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

mastasini wrote:Does anybody know what the 10the picture is a KO off?
I’ve found some at my local pawn shop

http://inchiki.atukan.com/BEKKAN/gal10/gal10.html
They're disk animals. They turn into CD's. Frankly, the real ones are translucent, which look a lot better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mastasini
Protoform

Post by mastasini »

are they from existing series?
edit: never mind I found out what they are

http://ooebihara.sakura.ne.jp/ganngu/ganngu239.htm

they seem to be Kamen riders - not bad - if I remeber correctly it was 3 bots for 1,50 euro
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Those disk-formers are pretty neat. Might have to save some money to buy some.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Don't I have the real ones, and they turn into disk a cm thick, and weigh a lot for their size. Plus, little to no articulation (you have to se the joints for transformation, which doesn't count).

They suck. :down:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Don't I have the real ones, and they turn into disk a cm thick, and weigh a lot for their size. Plus, little to no articulation (you have to se the joints for transformation, which doesn't count).

They suck. :down:
Aw shucks.
They still look cool though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Aw shucks.
They still look cool though.
Unfortunately i have to say that's wrong as well. It's like origami, just out of plastic. Plus, flimsy as hell.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Is there a Megatron colored version of the RID Galvatron knockoff? It looks nice but the Galvatron colored version...*shudders*
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I really have never liked KOs. Some of the Chinese KOs have become really sophisticated like the Soundwave MOSC tapes ones, but most of the ones I have ever seen were so flimsy and cheap, the money you pay is just good for a kit bash or to let your little ones break so they don't break the real ones. Hhaha, my son actually told me one time that he wanted to play with the "real" Optimus Primal instead of the KO I let him use.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I picked this up a while back, but kept forgetting to put pictures into Photobucket. It's a $5 "Fortress Minimus". It stands about 5" tall. Head comes off, but doesn't transform. It's actually quite a bit of fun, and slightly cheaper than the real one.

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I hit a local store that specializes in clearance toys and knockoffs, and I stumbled on two different types of TF knockoffs.

The first type were Robot Masters KOs, which I think are pretty ubiquitous by now. They came bundled two to a pack -- one set had Star Saber and Victory Leo, a second had Road Rocket and Sideways and a third had two of the Cyberjet molds (Skyjack and Space Case, originally), but they weren't coloured in any deco I recognized.

I snagged Star Saber and Victory Leo, and I'm fairly impressed. The plastic quality they used is right up there with what I would expect from an official product. The quality of the molds aren't quite so good though, and a lot of parts don't quite fit together right. Victory Leo has it worse than Star Saber, and has a lot of trouble standing upright in robot mode.

As far as the toys themselves go, I was quite impressed with Victory Leo, who is a neat little toy and, even though he looks very 'anime', he still looks more like a Transformer than a random Gundam or something. Star Saber falls on the other side of the line, alas, and I wouldn't believe he was a TF if I didn't already know who the character was. And the Victory Saber combination is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I'll find a use for the big-ass gun they made for the combined figure, though.

The other KOs I saw were bootlegs of G1 gestalt limbs. They weren't straight KOs, though -- they'd been scaled down to about 2/3 or 1/2 of their original size. I didn't buy any, but I'd bet that the designs would work pretty well at a smaller size. They were mostly done up in their original colours (or close to it). I noticed Skydive/Fireflight and First Aid/Streetwise (I think) two-packs, but the backs off the boxes suggest they did at least some Constructicons as well.

I also saw something that looked like a horribly mis-coloured Alternators Mirage bootleg, but after comparing it to pictures of the actual toy I'm not 100% sure.
Airazor

Post by Airazor »

I saw a few KOs today. First, a Classics Starscream coloured white, green and teal. Then, KOs of Animated Voyager Megatron (which looked like it'll break apart any time), Cybertron Sideways, Cybertron Override, Classics two-pack Optimus Prime, Classics Astrotrain and a white G1 Shockwave (complete with an edited Dreamwave art).
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Where the hell are you people getting these?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Mostly I have luck finding them at clearance stores (like the one I visited yesterday) or dollar stores. I've heard stories of them being prominently on display on major-market stores like Walmart or Target from time to time, though.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I picked up one of those ickle dinky cutsey G1 seeker bootlegs this weekend, the mighty Thrust. Absolutely loveable but the stickers don't seem to have been shrunk enough and (though this could just be a problem with my set) alternate between not staying on the toy and being impossible to remove from the sheet. Still, overall awesome and made up for me finding Universe Sunstreaker a bit "Nice enough" after hearing so many great things about him.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

I've picked up a KO Binaltech Dead End recently, and the quality is actually pretty good for a KO.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I've been obsessing now about the Thomas the Tank Engine combiner knock-off. I'm assuming they're not worth the $20 they're being listed for on Ebay. Anyone know where I could get one at knock-off prices?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No help on prices I'm afraid, but there are a truly gobsmacking number of variations out there - http://kotoys.com/kotoys.php?cat=Thomas ... ansforming

Place is worth a wander around for lots of 200% proof toy crack as well. Micromaster Combiner Movie Bumblebees? RotF Skids with a Cliffjumper head? WST Blaster? Alternators Wheeljack done as Movie Bumblebee?
Raze
Protoform

Post by Raze »

Does anyone know first hand what the quality is like of the knock off dinobots that seem to be flooding ebay at the moment?
Wanted Used or New -
Henkei Classics Dirge, Thrust. Universe Hound (Ravage not needed)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mirage and Wheeljack seem to be from the same manufacturers, and their quality is on a par with the originals, i.e. considerably higher than a Takara Tomy reissue.