POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

inflatable dalek wrote: Obviously the great debate shaking Transformers fandom to its core is whether this or the Combiner Wars version is best. I decided on the MP though because, as much as I like the MTMTE look, I do prefer his more chunky and streamlined 80's classic style.
I totally agree with you on that. I would be tempted to pick up a Takara version of CW Ultra Magnus if he came with Minimus Ambus, but MP Ultra Magnus would be the winner for me.
inflatable dalek wrote:First impressions are very good, it's kind of a shame the roof of the cab doesn't fold away better in robot mode...
That was the thing which put me off buying him to begin with, and I think it could have easily been resolved. Others have said to me this would add an extra join in truck mode but personally I think it would be a price worth paying. Still, in hand and on display I find it makes little difference.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 8362518528

My main irk in hand is actually the small piece of white and silver cab which infringes on what should be blue chest. I never even noticed it on stock photos, but it keeps drawing my eye in person. Still, it's minor, and I think the simple yet clever transformation excuses this - unlike the bum-flap I don't see an easy solution.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 7597793280
inflatable dalek wrote:The transformation is rather fun, and whilst the end result may not be quite as perfect as the robot (the missiles don't seem to go quite flat against the side), it looks pretty damn awesome. Though getting everything to stay flush seems a bit tricky.
I'm finding it easier to get mine flush after each transformation (although I prefer the launchers to be mounted on the front - I think it's fantastic Takara gave us the option and without removing them even!).
inflatable dalek wrote:I would have popped the flaps out if I had the nails to do it. But I thought to myself, who'd notice a thing like that?
Also, those filler pieces Knightdramon mentioned have got easier on mine has time has passed. (I don't have good nails either - always wearing them down with work etc, but hate to use a knife or screwdriver on these things.)

All-in-all I think I actually like MP Ultra Magnus more than I expected to. He's not only a phenomenal display piece if you're in to G1, but also great fun and easy to play around with - not a common combination in the larger Masterpiece figures.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Well, I'd be tempted by a toy or comic coloured version, but this cartoon inspired deco is too bland for me.
Agreed. I don't care what the cartoon says, Magnus just isn't meant to be such a dark blue. I'm not sure if I'd buy one if he had the right colours, but it'd definitely tempt me more than the cartoon-colours version.

Honestly the figure just looks a bit boring to me, but then you could make a passable G1 Magnus out of Lego bricks, so I'm not sure Takara could have done anything to liven it up.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

numbat wrote:(I don't have good nails either - always wearing them down with work etc, but hate to use a knife or screwdriver on these things.)
I find a pair of flat-edge tweezers is usually enough. Solid enough to use as a lever, but light enough to not leave a mark. The fixed end can also be used to nudge anything that's a bit tougher.

My nails are usually enough, but a utensil is usually a lot simpler.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Warcry wrote:Honestly the figure just looks a bit boring to me, but then you could make a passable G1 Magnus out of Lego bricks, so I'm not sure Takara could have done anything to liven it up.
Always personally found Magnus to be incredibly boring visually, both as a toy and a character. The former's a clumsy desperate mess, the latter basically a generic boxy robot. Love the character in both Marvel and Season 3 but it's basically impossible to make a G1-styled toy of him interesting, and the "watered down Optimus" colour scheme's never helped much either. The Powered Convoy colours are actually a little more striking but again the basic design is dullsville.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I actually love Magnus's vehicle mode, especially in toy form. I get far too much enjoyment out of piling Prowl and Sideswipe and co. up on it and parking it somewhere. But I don't need the MP for that and can't see how it'd do the job better than the original. Especially since the MP cars are too good to leave in car mode all the time, unlike the pretty-but-dated G1s.

His robot mode is dull as can be, though, other than a really nice head design (that, it has to be said, neither the cartoon or consequently the MP really get right). The original toy is basically a wall with arms, and the character model is almost as much of a box man as Ironhide.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Filler pieces or bust people :lol:

I can transform mine without needing long nails or an additional tool, but cannot for the life of me transform MP Prime from robot to cab without a tool to open the matrix chamber/front bumper.

Starscream is neat but a bit flimsy on the upper body, Soundwave is not as fun and Star Saber is not as fun or heavy as Magnus.

These, coupled with my liking of the character, elevate Magnus as the best large MP so far.

But yeah, he is a bit too...wide.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ha, Warcry has failed to ruin this toy for me!

I get why people might find Magnus' design dull, but I like its start simplicity, there's a nice chunky aesthetic to him that was basically made for Geoff Senior to draw.

To be honest

Agreed the bumflap is annoying and would have taken almost no effort to fix, especially as they went to the effort with the pop out panels that caused Knightdramon such mirth for the truck mode. Did the man behind tracks design that bit?

If I was the sort of person who ever planned to swap bits, it'd also be kind of cheap that the extra fists, face and chest space are designed around the Matrix but one isn't included. I'd have sacrificed Daniel and Spike for that. You have to buy MP10 to get the most out of this guy!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Got a shipping notice for Spartan BTW.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:You have to buy MP10 to get the most out of this guy!
They probably counted on anyone buying this thing already owning the MP10. And considering this is Optimus Prime we're talking about, it's really not that bad an assumption.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:Ha, Warcry has failed to ruin this toy for me!
I'll try harder next time.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:Ha, Warcry has failed to ruin this toy for me!

I get why people might find Magnus' design dull, but I like its start simplicity, there's a nice chunky aesthetic to him that was basically made for Geoff Senior to draw.

To be honest

Agreed the bumflap is annoying and would have taken almost no effort to fix, especially as they went to the effort with the pop out panels that caused Knightdramon such mirth for the truck mode. Did the man behind tracks design that bit?

If I was the sort of person who ever planned to swap bits, it'd also be kind of cheap that the extra fists, face and chest space are designed around the Matrix but one isn't included. I'd have sacrificed Daniel and Spike for that. You have to buy MP10 to get the most out of this guy!
MP10 is just an accessory for Magnus. ;)
Wreck and Rule!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:MP10 is just an accessory for Magnus. ;)
Being that I got MP-10 after Magnus, this is probably true for me
numbat

Post by numbat »

Warcry wrote:I actually love Magnus's vehicle mode, especially in toy form. I get far too much enjoyment out of piling Prowl and Sideswipe and co. up on it and parking it somewhere. But I don't need the MP for that and can't see how it'd do the job better than the original. Especially since the MP cars are too good to leave in car mode all the time, unlike the pretty-but-dated G1s.
Well, I don't have G1 Magnus or any G1 Autobot cars anymore (plenty of Minibots though).

However, I do really enjoy being able to pick up and transform my figures on display easily, and do so quite often. MP Ultra Magnus is
great for that, and I love piling the MP cars on the transporter mode. I also really really love that MP Bumblebee can get a ride from MP Magnus (in a sensible manner - unlike the G1 figures).

So while my Transformers are mostly on display in robot mode, I do play with them, and so they do end up displayed for a day or few here and there in alternate mode also. Ultra Magnus is way better for this than Optimus Prime (as I'd need to the trailer out of storage for a good look).
Knightdramon wrote:Soundwave is not as fun...
I agree with all of the rest of your comments, but must disagree here sir. I think Soundwave is my favourite. Combined with his cassettes he's great fun.

Bumblebee and Starscream are my favourites though - mainly sentimental reasons. The G1 toys were my first ever Autobot and Decepticon.
inflatable dalek wrote:You have to buy MP10 to get the most out of this guy!
Seriously, is there anyone who owns MP Ultra Magnus that does not own some version of MP10 (or plan to buy one)?

:swirly:

Equally, I've never recreated the Matrix pose, or used it in Magnus. Maybe I'll do that sometime this week.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

numbat wrote:
Seriously, is there anyone who owns MP Ultra Magnus that does not own some version of MP10 (or plan to buy one)?
It would be nice if they didn't assume it! If I were Cliffy I'd go on about how one of those other Japanese la-de-dah toylines would have gone all out and included everything ever that could possibly come with the toy.

It's not likely to be an issue for me as I can't see me putting on his other hands, let alone his screaming orgasm face, it's just that tiny bit shoddy in terms of the overall presentation.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
numbat

Post by numbat »

inflatable dalek wrote:It's not likely to be an issue for me as I can't see me putting on his other hands, let alone his screaming orgasm face, it's just that tiny bit shoddy in terms of the overall presentation.
Man, that face is horrendous... But my mind was blown by the fact they had built in storage for the spare screaming orgasm face into the actual figure. You know, so you'd never be without it to hand for that urgent face swap. Presumably for use after they release MP-2006 Galvatron.

It is quite incredible that storage for Ultra Magnus's spare face was thought of, yet storage for shoulder-mounted weapons on any of the Autobot cars was omitted during the design process. (Can't speak for MP Tracks, although even if he does have missile storage, I think the other issues more than negate this.)

Also items on eBay.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:It would be nice if they didn't assume it! If I were Cliffy I'd go on about how one of those other Japanese la-de-dah toylines would have gone all out and included everything ever that could possibly come with the toy.
Given that Takara have released 30271 different versions of MP-10, I'd think them assuming that everybody on the planet owns one would be quite reasonable.
numbat wrote:It is quite incredible that storage for Ultra Magnus's spare face was thought of, yet storage for shoulder-mounted weapons on any of the Autobot cars was omitted during the design process. (Can't speak for MP Tracks, although even if he does have missile storage, I think the other issues more than negate this.)
Bluestreak and Tracks have theirs built-in, and they're varying degrees of hilarious. I'd far rather that Sideswipe's launcher be separate and look good than compromise the design by a) leaving a hollow space to peg in the weapon as-is or b) integrate something that's terrible.

I don't know where Magnus' spare face is meant to go off-hand (never took that part out of the box), but I'd imagine it's far easier to find somewhere to peg a small, flat bit of plastic on a toy the size of UM than it is to find room for a rocket launcher on a car.

(also fairly certain most of the MP cars have the option to attach the weaponry to the car, even though it looks horrendous)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Weapons storage is now damaging Transformers, TBH. It's a great feature if you can pull it off but too often it just ends up costing the figures and/or the accessories too much. I like the approach taken on the better MP cars where there's the flip-out tabs and the like for those obsessed with the concept but at the same time T-T just trust me not to lose a launcher the size of a Mini-Con.

Got me Impactor. Transformed him into the folded up robot Cybertronian Tank mode; nice idea for an additional feature but I doubt I''ll be doing it again whatever Shilly McHumourphobe has to say about it TBH. It's nice that he has the facility to transform but I for Impactor I'd still have been pretty happy with a non-transforming version of this sort of size, detail and articulation.

The main show's pretty good; I'd still have prefered the Marvel model to the IDW one - which is overdetailed and then added to every single 3P company's inability to put more than a square centimetre of flat plastic on a figure - but I'm sure I'll live. Only real faults so far seem to be QC ones - the cuffs tend to fall right off if you have the empty sockets for transformation and the stiffness of the waist sections varies, with the one bit that looks weird rotating much easier than the two that you're likely to move the most. But niggles.

Woo, Impactor factor like a tractor.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Got me Impactor. Transformed him into the folded up robot Cybertronian Tank mode; nice idea for an additional feature but I doubt I''ll be doing it again whatever Shilly McHumourphobe has to say about it TBH. It's nice that he has the facility to transform but I for Impactor I'd still have been pretty happy with a non-transforming version of this sort of size, detail and articulation.
That was definitely one from the "I can't believe I'm actually having this discussion" files.
Only real faults so far seem to be QC ones - the cuffs tend to fall right off if you have the empty sockets for transformation and the stiffness of the waist sections varies, with the one bit that looks weird rotating much easier than the two that you're likely to move the most. But niggles.
The mid-thigh swivels are probably the bits that looks weirdest to me, but I can live with it.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Bluestreak and Tracks have theirs built-in, and they're varying degrees of hilarious. I'd far rather that Sideswipe's launcher be separate and look good than compromise the design by a) leaving a hollow space to peg in the weapon as-is or b) integrate something that's terrible.
You can store Bluestreak's shoulder missiles in car mode? I thought it was just those silly pretend not really launchers that stored (and are thankfully covered by the decent additional ones that were previously Amazon exclusives given out singly (!) with previous Datsun releases)?
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I don't know where Magnus' spare face is meant to go off-hand (never took that part out of the box), but I'd imagine it's far easier to find somewhere to peg a small, flat bit of plastic on a toy the size of UM than it is to find room for a rocket launcher on a car.
In his back / cab depending on mode. There's room in there for pretty much all of the MP Autobot car accessories too.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:(also fairly certain most of the MP cars have the option to attach the weaponry to the car, even though it looks horrendous)
Yup - hiddeous. And unnecessary.
Cliffjumper wrote:Weapons storage is now damaging Transformers, TBH.
I feel I must set the record straight for I fear there may have been a terrible misunderstanding - I wasn't complaining about the lack of weapons storage in MP or other figures. (In fact I'd prefer MP10 had a decent gun with no silly hinge and lacked storage...). I was just saying I thought it was funny that you could store MP Ultra Magnus's spare face, but effort had not gone in to storing useful accessories like guns in other MP figures.
Cliffjumper wrote:Only real faults so far seem to be QC ones - the cuffs tend to fall right off if you have the empty sockets for transformation and the stiffness of the waist sections varies, with the one bit that looks weird rotating much easier than the two that you're likely to move the most. But niggles.
I find the waist section(s) rather stiff too. In fact all the joints are very stiff on mine. Not sure what you mean by the hands though - you don't need to remove the hands/harpoon/drill for transformation...
Cliffjumper wrote:Woo, Impactor factor like a tractor.
Indeed!

:clap:

(A side note - I really love the IDW Impactor design, and the level of detail on Spartan is amazing. The only issue I have with the moulded detail is it makes finding places to put Autobot/Wrecker insignia stickers on a bit tricky - particularly for tank mode. You could argue that a 3P figure doesn't need to consider this, but all previous MMC figures I have bought do have obvious places for the faction badges [even if Hexatron Continuum required me to cut excess clear sticker off to make a Reprolabels one fit]. At least there's room for the all important one on his chest.)

Also items on eBay.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

numbat wrote:You can store Bluestreak's shoulder missiles in car mode? I thought it was just those silly pretend not really launchers that stored (and are thankfully covered by the decent additional ones that were previously Amazon exclusives given out singly (!) with previous Datsun releases)?
Oh you know exactly what I'm talking about. Expansion packs don't count.

[EDIT] Besides which, the integrated cannons, while looking silly, are at least vaguely show-accurate, which is what they were going for.
Attachments
Bluestreakg1.jpg