POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by HeavyArms »

TLK Decepticon Nitro - Having missed the incredibly cheap five dollar TLK voyager Scorn and Nitro figures that popped up at Big Ws I bought one of eBay at roughly half the retail price.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Siege Optimus Prime
I love this figure! It's such fun. The robot mode is excellent. Whilst I don't give much of a hoot for geewun cartoon accuracy and all that blarney, this is a smashing looking figure. He's great fun to pose with his gun and axe (although I wish this could have forgone the T shaped handle, so the handle could fit through his fist to be held more naturally). The battle damage is okay, but I like the more considered scrapes that Hound and Flywheels have. The silver isn't bright enough to mimic paint chipped/ scratched metal and is a bit of smudgy mess. Transformation is a bit of juggle and a challenge, but I like how kinetic it feels - I like that is all feels very considered. Vehicle mode is good and best of all - pinned wheels, so it rolls properly! Hooray!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Smyths have got deluxes at the same price as previous lines -- the finish on Sideswipe is pretty impressive. Got the rest of the first wave (already had Flywheels) and it looks similar on Hound (will save that until I can unpack Wreckers display) and Cog (saving for a bit).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series Bumblebee
VW version from the recent film. Robot mode is... hmm. Well, I like it and the switch out battlemask is good fun, as are the gun arm and blade, but he's incredibly kibbly, wearing most of his alt mode up his back. Sadly, this is my second duff Studio Series Bumblebee figure that I can't transform. The right hand headlamp/ wheel arch assembly won't budge, so I can't lock the roof/ windscreen/ bonnet together properly as a result. Sigh.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

SIEGE Flywheels!

The alternate modes are a bit rubbish and don't really show off the advantages of having one less gimmick than Battletrap, but the robot is a dude:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 9719609345
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

CHUG Megatron - With the NERF gunish alt mode from a comic shop. He's opened, but the only sign of age is the safety orange fading to dull yellow, which looks better, The panels that cover the forearms are much appreciated after years of hollow gaps. I like being able to look through the scope, but can't figre out the purpose of the square on top. I thought it was to let light in, but covering it doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas?

Cybertron Thundercracker from the same comic shop. His left shoulder doesn't seem to clip or peg into anything, so the wight of the gun makes it a bit floppy. Other than that, he's great, with one of the best jet modes I've seen in a while.

His jet mode is about the size of TR Slugslinger, and his bot is about the same height at PotP Novstar. He's a bit bulkier than either of those, but the size difference doesn't seem to major. His package was definitely bigger thana modern figure's. Maybe that contributes to the idea that figures have gotten smaller.

Walgreen's Prowl - I know there's a proper name for this line, but can't be bothered to learn. I have seen it mentioned once or twice, then looked it up to realize it was just the Walgreen's line. He's Sideswipe with a light bar, new head sculpt, and new front end. He was marked down a bit, but rang up at regular price. I mentioned this to the cashier, and he corrected it to even lower than the posted price. The face sculpt looks a bit off up close and directly in front of it, but looks great at any significant distance or angle.

Drivetrain - A minicon that's just labeled "Transformers", no subline. The text on the box is copyright 2010. I found him at Ocean State Job Lot, with RTS Starscream and Prime. They must've found these guys after cleaning the back room for the first time in almost a decade.

Metals Diecast G1 Optimus Prime - I've got plenty of decent bot mode Optimi. So, if I bought the $50 G1 reissue, he's probably spend most of his time in truck mode. Instead, I bought this $7 non-transfroming model of his G1 cab. Comparing it in store, it's the same size as the reissue.
Last edited by Tantrum on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Clunker Bumblebee - A redeco of the first Studio Series Bumblebee with some pins added to the car roof, which help with transformation.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Wow. A pinned roof. What an innovation. I might consider that, but I think I'll be waiting for a second hand one down the line, given my track record with Studio Series Bumblebees so far...

In more positive news! (Well, for me anyway)

Universe Sideswipe & Sunstreaker
These are from the 2003 BotCon, I think. They're repaints and minor retools of the RiD Prowl mode (the light bar has been removed). And they are amazing! I've never been a big fan of exclusives, because they always seem to feel to me to be made of cheaper materials compared to regular retail figures, but these guys look awesome. The plastics are good an weighty, the paint apps are fantastic (especially the gold paint on Sunstreaker - although it does draw your attention to his crotch) and they look fantastic in vehicle mode. The only issue is that a chunk of this toy uses an unpaintable plastic, so they've had to carefully cut out and apply some glossy tape to the roof on both of them, so they don't have an odd placement of white in vehicle mode. Does the job though. I love the boxes too - nice update of the window boxes that the original 1980s toys us, complete with character art, tech specs and a battle scene on the back. Good stuff.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Barricade - Figured I'd own a figure of him from both the start of the movies as well as the end.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Tribute Movieverse 'Bee Evolution 3-Pack - I already own the TLK wave 3 'Bee in this set, but it was at Marshall's for US$20, which seemed like a fair price for the other two. One is, I think, the first movie 'Bee toy, a '77 Camero whose bot mode has taillights in the toes instead of the normal movie 'Bee feet. The other is a black '67 Camero, whose hood opens up into some sort of flared collar looking thing.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legends Repugnus and Grotusque

Grotusque is one of the coolest-looking late-80s Autobots, even though he's basically a nobody. So I was excited to hear that Hasbro did one, and pretty disappointed that he was pretty much impossible to get in Canada without paying eBay scalper prices (since our Toys'R'Us didn't release him, and the US TRU site for some reason didn't want to ship him here). So when TakaraTomy decided to release him in their LG-EX line, I was watching like a hawk for preorders. Putting him in a two-pack with Repugnus instead of selling them separately was a bit of a surprise, but thankfully he was announced before Hasbro's Repugnus came up for sale on Amazon Canada, so I didn't end up buying that one twice, assuming I even would have bothered to get him on his own. He was honestly a bit of an afterthought, especially since I owned the tiny TR one already.

So naturally, after all this gushing about how Grotusque was the one I wanted, of course Repugnus is by far the cooler toy.

Grotusque reuses a lot of Doublecross. From the shoulders up he's new, and so is his "skirt", but he's got the same legs and torso and the same guns, so he feels a bit samey in robot mode. He doesn't really pull off the gargoyle mode as well as he could, either. It's a shame he didn't get new lower legs with the spikes that the original had, since that would have given him a unique flair in both modes. On the plus side, his colour scheme is as beautiful as ever and the new arms are much less frustrating to pose than Doublecross's.

Repugnus on the other hand barely reuses any of Doublecross. Maybe half the legs? And he reuses about half of Grotusque's new arm parts as well. But he's probably over 50% new tooling, and the end result is a figure that's got a lot more unique personality than the other two. His gawky bug monster alt-mode captures the spirit of the original quite well, his robot mode silhouette stands out from the other two, and he's got a unique set of swords to replace the other two's rifles. His colour scheme is nearly as eye-catching as Grotusque's, too. And as the proverbial cherry on top, he has a completely different head than the TR Titan Master Repugnus. So if you own both you've got a choice between two very different robot mode looks -- I've gone with the bug-eyed TR head for now, but both are nice.

Overall I think they're both nicer than Doublecross, for their colours if nothing else. But Repugnus is definitely the standout member of a trio that I never would have thought I'd be able to buy modern figures of a few years ago.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series WWII Bumblebee - It seems that I have now bought a movie Bumblebee from four different eras: 1940's, 1960's, 1970's and 2010's.

And I would like to think that I'm now done with retail movie Bumblebee toys.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

POTP Outback
Great little figure with a fun transformation. I think these Scout class sized figures have been the best thing about the whole CW/TR/POTP trilogy. Whilst everything else has been a bit uneven, these wee guys have always been great.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

POTP Evolution Nemesis Prime.

Beast Wars Metals VS-40 Destined Showdown: Convoy VS Megatron - I bought this version of the figures mainly so that I had a Transmetals Megatron that wouldn't break when played with.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Siege Megatron
As with Optimus, this guy is great fun. The tank mode is a little sketchy and never feels like it's fully transformed. The visible pokey out head underneath and the feet having nowhere to go don't help. It's a bit like Armada Megatron's transformation, but needlessly complicated. Robot mode is great and I like the fusion cannon and enormous sword. Nice detailing, the grey plastics are a little flat and lifeless, but the silver 'dirt' helps, as does the paint on his face. Good stuff.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

POTP Predaking.

10th Anniversary Beast Wars Optimus Primal - Good price, kind of still want the original version.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Cyberverse Action Attackers Slipstream
Nice, colourful repaint of the Starscream figure. These shouldn't be as much fun as they are, as they're on the same level as Action Masters - not being able to Transform and all that. Great toys to pick up and fiddle with and the robot modes are good.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

New Micromsaster Stakeout and Redhot:

Nice, but the limbs fly off if you look at them.

POTP Punch/Counterpunch: OK, now this is huge fun, with a really nice transformation, even before you get to the gimmick. And I seem to have gotten one with the arms the right way round!
Hound

Post by Hound »

PotP Predaking arrived today. I've now got all the original combiners from the G1 cartoon days. Maybe they'll come out with the Seacons someday...

I took a picture.
Attachments
IMG_20190307_220326.jpg
IMG_20190307_220326.jpg (135.19 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Sideswipe - One of the last two in the area, by the looks of it.