RotF Sideways

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Cliffjumper wrote:Awesome, that's what I'm after, if I can find one at a decent price... Probably going to skip Prime - I'd have to buy Megatron, Starscream and Grindor as well...
While I understand that dilemma, you really should try to pick one up at some point. I'm sure your willpower will prevent the other purchases.
I would be tempted by Bonecrusher, but I'm guessing him being Deluxe maximum means he's miles out of scale with the others, right? Bad move, I'd be all over a Voyager Bonecrusher. I'd go for Blackout, but he seems to be pricey.
Blackout would be a better buy over BC. Although his back chopper portion tends to not click together very securely. Don't have Grindor, but I'm thinking the same is probably true. Bonecrusher being a deluxe almost feels more like a basic. Kind of in between the sizes and rather disappointing as a result. I mean, if you found one cheap in some lot it wouldn't be a bad find, but I wouldn't recommend putting a whole lot of effort into it.
With Ratchet, if I was to take the plunge despite all warnings, which one is more accurate - the first one or the RotF one? Pictures of both seem to be wildly different colours ranging from Constructicon green through to yellow, but I'm guessing the tone used just isn't very photogenic...
The first-year version is the closest. Though I'm with Clay. Specifically, wait until the deluxe comes out. At the very least, if the deluxe one isn't all that it has a decent chance of driving Voyager Ratchet's price down a bit more.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:I would be tempted by Bonecrusher, but I'm guessing him being Deluxe maximum means he's miles out of scale with the others, right? Bad move, I'd be all over a Voyager Bonecrusher. I'd go for Blackout, but he seems to be pricey.
Bonecrusher is one of my favorite robot toys period. He's just got that monstrous, Cloverfield vibe to him that works so well. However, no, he is not in scale with any movie Prime figure to get properly decapitated. :(

I made a trip to the store today and they've put leader toys on markdown to $35. I can hook you up if you're merely aiming to be thrifty, assuming the pound-to-dollar ratio is still two-to-one.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I think it's fluctuating around 1.55-ish right now. (Bank manager had her kids come back from the U.K. and was exchanging currency)

And I dunno, I can't say I personally prefer my TFs Cloverfieldish. (nothing wrong with that monster/movie) The particular drawback I had were his arms..they were way too alien-organic than robot. In the end, I suppose it's a matter of whether that works for you or not. But I'll reiterate the scale issue--no harm getting him if he's dirt cheap, otherwise...meh.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Pun-3X wrote:I'm sure your willpower will prevent the other purchases.
Like the way I bought that Gobot for a laugh a few years back, yeh? :o
Blackout would be a better buy over BC. Although his back chopper portion tends to not click together very securely. Don't have Grindor, but I'm thinking the same is probably true. Bonecrusher being a deluxe almost feels more like a basic. Kind of in between the sizes and rather disappointing as a result. I mean, if you found one cheap in some lot it wouldn't be a bad find, but I wouldn't recommend putting a whole lot of effort into it.
Clay wrote:Bonecrusher is one of my favorite robot toys period. He's just got that monstrous, Cloverfield vibe to him that works so well. However, no, he is not in scale with any movie Prime figure to get properly decapitated. :(
Yeh, I think the vehicle mode's scale issues with Bonecrusher would just be too much of an issue for me (incidentally, you're a magician masking that in your photo comic. I do love the look of the guy - he was the only Legends figure I got that I didn't instantly regret spending money on (I think it took about three hours for the regret to kick in, which is a record for that bracket... though a Legends Wheelie would be nice...)

Regarding the Pave Lows, it's just a shame Grindor looks basically nothing like he does in the film; even if they couldn't really just redo Blackout, something a little closer (maybe more in grey than blue) would probably have done the job for me in either case.
The first-year version is the closest. Though I'm with Clay. Specifically, wait until the deluxe comes out. At the very least, if the deluxe one isn't all that it has a decent chance of driving Voyager Ratchet's price down a bit more.
Deluxe will be too small :o I'm going to see if I can get one for around half the RRP for Ratchet, and not kid myself it's anything other than completism.
I made a trip to the store today and they've put leader toys on markdown to $35. I can hook you up if you're merely aiming to be thrifty, assuming the pound-to-dollar ratio is still two-to-one.
Wow, that'd be cool - that's about a third of British RRP, let alone the hassle of actually finding one (I have to go a fair distance to find anywhere with a decent selection). Only thing is most of my disposable is tied up in bidding for other figures :(
Clay

Post by Clay »

Pun-3X wrote:And I dunno, I can't say I personally prefer my TFs Cloverfieldish. (nothing wrong with that monster/movie) The particular drawback I had were his arms..they were way too alien-organic than robot.
Nor do I, but for one figure I'll go for it.
Cliffjumper wrote:Wow, that'd be cool - that's about a third of British RRP, let alone the hassle of actually finding one (I have to go a fair distance to find anywhere with a decent selection). Only thing is most of my disposable is tied up in bidding for other figures :(
Well, holler when it isn't. They've got enough Primes and Megatrons piled up to last a while.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Cliffjumper wrote:Awesome, that's what I'm after, if I can find one at a decent price... Probably going to skip Prime - I'd have to buy Megatron, Starscream and Grindor as well... Bought Jolt and Jazz on ebay. Jolt I'm just weirdly fascinated by - anyone expecting him to even be in the third one? He's like the Movieverse answer to G1 Skids. And Jazz seems to be very cheap, which sort of softens the blow...

I would be tempted by Bonecrusher, but I'm guessing him being Deluxe maximum means he's miles out of scale with the others, right? Bad move, I'd be all over a Voyager Bonecrusher. I'd go for Blackout, but he seems to be pricey.

With Ratchet, if I was to take the plunge despite all warnings, which one is more accurate - the first one or the RotF one? Pictures of both seem to be wildly different colours ranging from Constructicon green through to yellow, but I'm guessing the tone used just isn't very photogenic...

Got my groove back with Bumblebee too, though that gun arm is a real bad move both from an aesthetic and design point of view. I also had to cut a couple of tabs off so the back end would fit together securely - this is why I'm very hesitant to spend more than £20 on a figure from the range...
Ratchet was Neon-Green in the movie, so you need the first one. But if I were you, I would rather wait tosee how the deluxe will be. There are plenty of First -movie Rachtets so that chanche won't run away in a few months. And about BB, it's just a mere example of an overused mold and I guess some bad luck as well, since I've never heard of that one before.

You're right on Bonecrusher, I would've loved to see him getting a bigger toy, but please don't buy Blackout/Grindor. He's about as bad as movie-1 SS when you really think about it, due to his Automorph. And then I just Ignore thefa ct he's one of the biggest out-of scale toys I know...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Jazz arrived today and, y'know, he's not actually that bad. The arms are a bit of a fail, but he can stand up nine times out of ten and actually make use of his joints. My only real regret is that I was a complete cheapo and went for the final battle version - didn't realise how much the "battle damage" that cleverly resembles nothing that happened to him in the film would ruin the look of the figure. Bah.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Yeah, Bonecrusher is way out of scale.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!