25 Years of Transformers - which are the best toys?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

25 Years of Transformers - which are the best toys?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay peeps, Hasbro/Takara have been churning out variable action figures for 25 years. So what are your all time top 10 figures? Not necessarily in any order, just a list of ten of the best Transformers you've ever owned.

If there are a decent number of responses, we'll be collating the results for a commemorative article on the site, so please help out (and possibly get your name in e-print on the main site - I know this would fulfil the ambitions of many :p).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, this'd be mine:

10 G1 Air Raid
09 RiD Scourge
08 RM Rijie
07 RiD Rail Racer
06 G2 Roadpig
05 Universe Sunstreaker
04 ROTF Leader Optimus Prime
03 G1 Smokescreen
02 G1 Skids
01 Classics Bumblebee
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Okay, this'd be mine:

04 ROTF Leader Optimus Prime
I recommended this! Whoo me!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

01 - Grimlock. Okay, so old understandings of dinosaurs as cold-blooded creatures and limitations of engineering contributed to an alt-mode that's dated. The robot mode, recessed head and limited points of articulation aside, still conveys heft and power. Honourable mention to Slag.

02 - Browning. Megatron but not a gangly mess like the original toy. Remarkably poseable considering the functionality.

03 - Soundwave. Again, quite poseable, and the chunkiness adds to the implacability of the characterisation. It doesn't hurt that the toy came with one or more cassettes.

04 - Ratbat. There's something strangely iconic about this one, and it isn't the way the character was written. Possibly a childhood influenced by Batman.

05 - Laser Rod Prime. Back when engineering still wasn't really expected in toys, bang! arrived this.

06 - Alternators Smokescreen. Although I wasn't wild enough about the figure to hang onto it when clearing out (and Alt. Shockers will do me just fine as an example of the line) this was the point at which I got excited about TF figures again. Masterpiece Prime didn't do it, Smokescreen did.

07 - Robotmasters Optimus. A very G2-esque head and a good balance between pocket-money (in Japan) toy and effort to make a fun robot mode. Crap alt-mode, but since for me the appeal is recognisable parts on a robot rather than alt-modes per se, it'll do me.

08 - Animated Grimlock. Despite the arms, a great update on the original.

09 - Classics Sideswipe. I have a big soft spot for the characterisation and the mould of the original, to which this is a worthwhile homage. It's not whizz-bang wonderful, just a solidly-designed figure.

10 - Animated Activators Bumblebee. Because the mini-bots were pure fun, and this takes that concept and rolls with it. Worth tracking down the first all-yellow release.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Without providing any qualifiers:

10 Binaltech Jazz/Meister/Laserwave (the RX8 mold, basically)
09 Universe Legends G2 tank Megatron
08 Movie Bonecrusher
07 Robotmasters Beast Convoy
06 Classics Starscream
05 Universe Cyclonus
04 ROTF Prime
03 Music Label Soundwave
02 G1 Stunticons (I know that's technically five, yeah yeah)
01 Masterpiece Grimlock

Honorable mention being the Animated Dinobot trio, but they were too many figures.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cool. Here's mine (which I fess upfront is a highly personal subjective list rather than a "What are the actual best toys from an impartial standpoint" one, so no one start going "How can you like that you freak!?!?!?!").

10: G1 Highbrow. One of my absolute favourites as a kid, there's just something I love about helicopters with two rotors and, though the execution in ficition was flawed I actually always liked the Headmasters thing as a toy gimmick.

9: RID Sideburn. Brought for me as a 21st Birthday present as a goodbye to my childhood interests Sideburn actually had the reverse effect and brought me back faster than Kerry Katona following a white line. I absolutely adore this little fellow and don't think any of the Autobot brothers get enough love. I know shellformers tend to get a kicking but I've always found the way his bonnet becomes a shield really niffty as well.

8: G1 Grimlock: I think a lot of the best Transformers are ones that look as if kids could have designed them, as in if you were to ask a child what a robot that turned into a T-Rex looked like Grimlock isn't far off what they'd coem up with. It tends to give them a very iconic feel. What's especially awesome about Grimlock when your a kid is his dinosaur feet become his robot arms. It's like the whole world tuned upside down.

7: G1 Purple Galvatron. A toy I was completely indifferent about for years, in photos he always seemed a bit rubbish and tired looking. Perhaps the impulse purchase of the reissue changed my mind because he was shiny and new, or because they gave him a more vibrant colour scheme or because when you press his tummy he shouts at you in Japanese. Either way I did a full 180 on the guy and now frequently enjoy scaring the crap out of people by sneaking up behind them and pressing the button. And if that's not reason enough to be on the list the handgun mode means I can play act scared looking crazy man from Wrecking Havoc!.

6: Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Take the "designed by a kid" iconic look of the original and combine it with century 21 technology for a toy so good Takara can't stop releasing it.

5:Classics Cyclonus: Alright, the spaceship mode is deeply unconvincing but the robot is a fantastic recreation of my all time favourite Decepticon. Posability and actual hands win over the original and Nightstick is a funky little addition. If the head could easily be pulled off this would be higher.

4: BW Transmetal Megatron. He's got roller skates. Nuff said.

3: G1 Soundwave: Again, exactly the sort of design a kid would come up with (one you've shown them a pickture of a cassette player and explained what it was that is) and the two best gimmicks the line ever did. The cassette ejection thing of course rocks but his weapons becoming his batteries is on a whole new level of brilliance there just aren't words for.

2: G1 Hot Rod. The car mode is a thing of beauty that makes me weep for the real 21st century not looking like that. The robot may only be able to move at the arms but the look is well designed and when you add Targetmaster goodness you have a winner.

1: Classics Drift. oh, wait...

1: G1 Prowl. Again an iconic look. Sexy black and white colours with a fantastic alt mode topped of by a well designed robot (just look at the flimsy girl that is Jazz for how this can go wrong) and we have what is simply the greatest toy ever made bar none.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

This is my list ,I know that I have alot of RiD on there but what can I say it was a sick toy line.

10-Engergon Omega Supreme

9- Armada Megatron

8- Armada Optimus Leader class

7- RiD Prowl

6- RiD X-Brawn

5- BW Dragon Megatron

4- RiD Ultra Magnus

3- RiD Scourge

2- MP Optimus Prime

1- RiD Optimus Prime
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Top ten (no order):
Classics Bumblebee
TFU Cyclonus
Armada Nemesis Prime
ROTF Rampage
Masterpiece Grimlock
Movie Leader Brawl
Classics Optimus Prime
TFU Sunstreaker
G1 Soundwave
Animated Lockdown

Other favorites include:
TFA Swindle
TFA 2-pack Prime
ROTF Voyager Megatron
TFU Silverbolt
Energon Demolisher (dump truck version)
Armada Thundercracker
TFU Dirge
Red Armada Thrust (international exclusive)
Cybertron Crumplezone
Movie Big Daddy
Movie Fracture
Energon Treadshot
Energon Stormcloud
ROTF Deep Desert Brawl
Energon Bulkhead
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

do they have to be hasbro/takara molds or do things like the g1 deluxe insecticons or g1 jetfire count?
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Top ten in no particular order...

Energon Starscream - a 'ghost' Starscream figure you don't have to pay through the nose to get. THE best Starscream mold out of the dark years known as the Unicron Trilogy.

Marvel Crossovers Hulk - Hefty little tank mode and a robotmech mode that's about as far from spindly as you can get.

Cybertron Sideways - I love him. I just do. Maybe it's the visor face akin to G2 Cyberjets, maybe it's the faction swapping gimmick, maybe it's a bit of both.

Animated Shockwave - His awesomeness is logical. 'True colors' version adds some G1 homage-y goodness as well.

SWTF General Grievous/Grievous Starfighter - A regular sized SWTF that isn't FAIL. Commander Cody's limited articulation just doesn't cut it for me.

Armada Unicron - THE best figure from the entire Armada line. Though that isn't saying much...

Henkei! Astrotrain - The mold is great and the color scheme is too!

ROTF Ransack - Honorable mentions to Leader Prime and HA Bumblebee, but the nod goes to the only biplane Transformer to date. The skeletal look helps too.

RiD Omega Prime - Technically two, but he stands out nicely in his own right.

Beast Wars TM2 Tigerhawk - Gorgeous beast and robot modes. I also like how the Spark Crystal is inside his chest, only visible during transformation.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
skywarp408
Protoform

Post by skywarp408 »

Just off the top of my head and in no particular order.

G1 Omega Supreme
G1 Optimus Prime
Fort Max
TM2 Beast Wars Megatron
Masterpiece Megatron
G1 Snarl
BW Transmetal Optimus Primal
BW Transmetal Megatron
G1 Scorponok
Trypticon
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffy, I love your sig. Miked23, I have no idea who you are but you are very, very right. RiD had some kickass toys.

In no particular order:

1- Alt Smokescreen. I think he'll always be one of my favourite Alternators.
2- Binaltech Dead End. I love the Viper. I just love it. The bf will point to a regular everyday car and go "what's that one?" I'll answer "... green?" but if he points to a Viper, I can tell him almost anything anyone would want to know about it's particular make [tho I'm probably a bit rusty now]. Dead End was a birthday gift, I think.
3- [any mould version of] RiD Speedbreaker. same reasons :p
4- BW Megs. Big red dragon, rawwwwr!
5- G1 Grimlock. 80stastic T-Rex, RAWR!
6- Masterpiece Skywarp. :up:
7- G1 Ravage. I like Ravage.
8- Orig Galvatron.
9- Spychangers. They're small and zoomy and I was addicted to the bastards for years.
10- Hmmmm... Armada Unicron. 2003[ish], though a shitty time in general was the first year of my adult life my mom broke down and bought me toys for Christmas. Armada Uncron was easily the biggest tf toy I've ever had.
And my special mention- 11- Beast Machines Longhorn. How could I forget?!? I frigging love this toy! Even now!

Man... making this list makes me think of all the toys I wanted, but never bought... Scourge, Stampy, Break, Longrack, Animated Grimlock... hmm.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

These are 10 that popped to mind when I looked over my shelves. This list would probably change if I made it again in a week.

Heinlad So bizarre that it's awesome. One of my first Japanese Transformers.

Animated Lockdown Awesome in both modes, and a great character on the show to boot. Bonus points for innovative transformation and being a deluxe that's taller than a lot of voyagers.

Stampy Similar to Heinlad in that it's just such a weird alt mode. I hunted him down as a joke, but he was the first beastie that I got, and he made me like animal Transformers.

Classics Prime Best. Prime. Ever.

Cybertron Downshift I dig the muscle car green color. Great in both modes, and simple enough transformation to actually play with him.

G1 Swoop One of the first TFs I bought with my own money, and one of the first I realized had a bit of value to him since I treated him nicely as a kid.

Classics Skywarp Great mold, and you can't beat the purple and black.

Energon Mirage Mock me if you wish, but I really like this mold. There should be more boats in Transformers. And he's (partly) purple and black.

RID Megatron Several fair alt modes, but the robot mode (which happens to be purple and black) is just wicked awesome looking. Sentimental value because I received him as a shower gift for the birth of my firstborn son.

Movie Fracture The great classics Mirage mold in even better colors. Nice transformation, and I enjoy lithe bots.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Shit, I forgot about RiD Megs. Another great toy. All of this is taking me back... this is not good! I'm nearly broke from bills as is!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Notabot wrote:This list would probably change if I made it again in a week.
Zere vill be no changing of ze lists!

Great stuff, everyone, keep them coming.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

MP Optimus Prime
G1 Soundwave
TFU Hound
TFU Sideswipe
TFU Cyclonus
ROTF leader Optimus Prime
Human Alliance Bumblebee
Fortress Maximus
G1 Grimlock
Animated Shockwave
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ten? You utter barstool!

- BW Metals Megatron / Transmetal Megatron [I prefer the colour tweaks on the Japanese version, but for arguments sake one skating T-Rex is as good as the next]
- The Micromaster Air Strike Patrol [just edging out the Sports Cars... what, they were sold as sets!]
- Binaltech/Alternators Swindle
- Masterpiece Convoy / Anniversary Prime
- G1 Bumblebee
- Fire Convoy / RiD Optimus Prime
- G1 Flywheels [**** you, he's fantastic]
- G1 Quake [kibble-free to the max, biyatch]
- G1 Darkwing
- G1 Topspin [literally years of fun, plus everybody had one]
- Clench

The G2 Prime mould is going to make the list in some form regardless of my voting - that's the only reason I've left it off. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:The G2 Prime mould is going to make the list in some form regardless of my voting - that's the only reason I've left it off. :)
Yeh, I'm probably going to be working out exactly what to do about recolours and the like once the results are in - it'd be a bit unfair for, say, for the Laser Rod long-nosed cab mould to suffer because the votes end up split between the G2 and RiD/CR versions... Any particularly good mould is generally great in any scheme (at least any scheme anyone's likely to vote for), even if one's even greaterer.

My list started off as a rough one of about thirty...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It feels quite perverse that I dropped TM Primal from my list... it's equally poseable in both moulds, giving it the edge over Megatron's equivalent, and it has the fact it's a surfboarding gorilla going for it... but the two modes were just a tiny bit too similar and Megatron just looks cooler... but ultimately he is a far better toy than Quake.

Dammit.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ooh! We have to make a thread about top ten characters as well! Anyway, here's my list of toys...

10) RiD Galvatron -- Why? Because I have his toy as a kid. A ten-changer (I can only manage to transform him into four or five modes as a little boy) is pretty awesome, even if some of the molds are pretty lame.
9) Animated Swoop -- This guy is an awesome update to Swoop. Besides, the mace weapon is simply amazing. Also, articulation.
8) Henkei! Astrotrain -- Amazing paintjob, an amazing update to G1 Astrotrain, chroming that doesn't look daft, and mostly a big gun. Besides, I have a weakness for triplechangers.
7) Movie Bonecrusher -- Rollerblades and that awesome claw. He needs to be made into a voyager.
6) Movie Scorponok -- He's so awesome, both in the movie and in the toy. His robot mode may suck, but at least he has an awesome scorpion mode.
5) Classics Cyclonus -- This one's pure, undiluted coolness. Unlike the mess that is Galvatron, Cyclonus manages to deliver on both robot and jet mode. And he comes with a little minion to boot.
4) G1 Soundwave -- SOUNDWAVE SUPERIOR.
3) Classics Skywarp -- I dunno, I just love the Classics Starscream mold. And I like black-and-purple paintschemes. So my vote goes to Skywarp.
2) Classics Nemesis Prime -- the best Prime mold, ever, repainted lovingly in black. I don't know, but I just love love love love Nemesis Prime.
1) ROTF Demolishor -- 'Nuff said.

Honorable mentions: G1 Sports Car Patrol (why didn't they make the list? 'Coz I don't have them, that's why), G1 Ratbat, G1 Laserbeak/Buzzsaw, Classics Hound, ROTF Ice Cream Truck, ROTF Optimus Prime, Animated Blurr, Cybertron Metroplex, G1 Scorponok, ROTF Dead End, Animated Shockwave, Masterpiece Seekers, Masterpiece Prime, G1 Grimlock, Telemocha Megatron