[CUSTOM] OMFG! Kitbash newbie alert!!!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

And in future news, Cliffjumper has no more eyebrows. :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, acetone and alcohol are both rather flammable. I wouldn't recommend smoking while working with them.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Though if you can choose, I'd also back up the alcohol choice. While using nail varnish quickly over a surface won't have very much effect, on clear parts it can fog stuff up. Stronger alcohols (in come instances) can too, but you've got a better chance with it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, I'm putting together finishing touches on Sideways now... Citadel Miniature paints were a massive improvement on Revell ones, but I still couldn't get the black smooth - found watering down tricky to get right for multiple coats, and just decided to settle (bearing in mind that this is basically a test figure). Will going over this with a varnish exacerbate the brush strokes, or will it look just as rubbish, but at least glossy? Did briefly consider getting a cheap Dead End and parts-swapping, but I can't work out how I'd get the car rear off, and then there's the different colour windows - either I'd end up painting the roof anyway, or I'd have to paint the side window frames, so I'd be just as screwed that way. Unless there're transparent paints...?

Did go with nail varnish remover, and it did fog the windscreen, so lesson learnt there :) Didn't set fire to my face, though.

Doing the robot parts in gunmetal was fun, though - really makes them look much more solid. Was going to drybrush, but my shaky hands actually left the odd dot of unpainted black plastic and I rather like the effect, so I'm going with that instead. Only problem is now I really want to take everything I own apart and do the robot mode parts in gunmetal.

Not going to even try the Audi badge or the stripes - hoping Reprolabels come in for me there, they seem to be moving towards ROTF figures now.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Prowl1984 wrote:Also, could anyone give me a few tips on how to get that worn/gritty/ realistic look? i.e frenzy/rumble's constructicons
Aside from drybrushing and paint-washing, there's always the dremel tool. Also, i hear some people resort to using soldering irons, heating the plastic so much it actually either burns or melts. Nothing's more real than the real thing i suppose. If you're attempting to constrct stuff with, say, styrene, and there are seams, you could even try literally soldering those seams together. I did it on my Junkion, and it really does look like someone was welding metal together carelessly/badly. Just don't melt the styrene as well. ;)

Oh, and the same theory can be applied to usinng a heat source to heat a metal pin, then while red hot, prodding the figre for a realistic dent.

BTW, if you get burned or injured i any way, i ain't responsible. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Raze
Protoform

Post by Raze »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Aside from drybrushing and paint-washing, there's always the dremel tool. Also, i hear some people resort to using soldering irons, heating the plastic so much it actually either burns or melts. Nothing's more real than the real thing i suppose. If you're attempting to constrct stuff with, say, styrene, and there are seams, you could even try literally soldering those seams together. I did it on my Junkion, and it really does look like someone was welding metal together carelessly/badly. Just don't melt the styrene as well. ;)

Oh, and the same theory can be applied to usinng a heat source to heat a metal pin, then while red hot, prodding the figre for a realistic dent.

BTW, if you get burned or injured i any way, i ain't responsible. :D
You did not say to get proper supervision from an adult, so I can still sue you if I burn my fingers off. Hah!!
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Cliffjumper wrote: Doing the robot parts in gunmetal was fun, though - really makes them look much more solid. Was going to drybrush, but my shaky hands actually left the odd dot of unpainted black plastic and I rather like the effect, so I'm going with that instead. Only problem is now I really want to take everything I own apart and do the robot mode parts in gunmetal.
That tends to happen. Suddenly, the gray or black plastic is just far too boring on everything you own. But the results are often spiffy.