[CUSTOM] ROTF Recon Ironhide

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Pun-3X

ROTF Recon Ironhide

Post by Pun-3X »

Figured I'd show him here. Mostly just removed the silver camo stripes and gave him the gun metal robot-parts treatment. Plus painting the guns and knives.

The truck is pretty basic. With the silver camo stripes removed, he's back to his simple black look. Although the silver bars and weapons (and front bumper) help break him up a bit. Granted, I wasn't going for "stealth" Ironhide--I just didn't like the stripes like most people.

Details upclose, and first look at the steel guns. I also painted the armored window screens in gun metal.

And some weaponless shots.

So, on to the robot mode. The first thing I'm really proud of is how his head came out. Making it that awful brown in the first place was such a bad move--it really threw the character off. I was glad that the eyes were actually part of the back half of the head sticking through the front half's sockets. But mostly, I'm real happy with the worn-metal look I was able to give him, most specifically on his crown.

Weaponless first.

Then, some added. I went and did a bunch of combos using the first movie Ironhide's cannons and the new ones (all painted in hammered steel). Yes, he's wearing his new right cannon on his left arm. It fits!

In the last shot, you'll notice that the 'slide' parts for the cannon's missiles blocked a portion of the gun while I was painting. I'll have to go back and fix that.

Close-ups of the worn metal robot parts. Love the effect.

Painted the hands in black and steel as well (originally brown). Also did some slight detailing on the back panels. Not much, but it works.

Here's a shot with everything in place. Those rear/side guardrails tend to stay put relatively decently without the screws. I like being able to remove them for his robot mode if need be.

Group shot!

I've also got some better head shots to show off the paint apps. Black with dry-brushed gun metal, sealed with Pledge Future (which gives it enough of a shine to look metallic).

I'm afraid to touch it up in any way for fear of ruining something and having to strip the paint and starting over. I don't think I could get the effect I got here the same way if I tried it again.

So, there he is! I'd already done the robot gun metal treatment to my old first-movie version, but I think with everything combined this looks much better. Now, if only I could get a set of his N.E.S.T. guns, he'd have a complete arsenal. :D
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Lovely! I don't have much time for the Recon version, but you've amde it look really, really good. I especially like the head and the detailing on the robot mode, which is nicely done so as not to change the fact that he's basically black all over - it looks like metal, rather than silver paint, and is rather subtle. Good work!