If you could only buy one of the car MPs..which one would it be and why?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Ackula

If you could only buy one of the car MPs..which one would it be and why?

Post by Ackula »

Thread title is self explanatory. I really want one of the new ones, but I cannot decide on the Nissan mold or the Lamborghini mold. And even then..which version of the mold?

So for owners of these toys, please give me your opinions on which one and why. I'm interested to know which ones have the coolest look, articulation, accessories, closeness to original design, and any flaws or aggravating parts in the transformation (any parts liable to break easily, anything that pops off easily, etc). I'm also interested in knowing how well they play, are they fun to actually fool around with, or just display pieces?

I've read reviews on here and other places, but I guess I'm looking for a comparison between the two molds and their variations. I may be able to buy one, I REALLY want to, but it can only be one of them.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Poseable, but not playable in the same way as Classics or old stuff for being able to transform in a neat flow. The Sideswipe mould's generally got better proportions than the Prowl one, and if I was getting it again for the first time I'd go for the G2 version out of personal preference.

Not that the red one's bad, just a different sort of nostalgia. I've still got the beaten-up original I found in a charity shop twenty years ago when Transformers was on the way out of being popular.

As toys, the MP car moulds are a bit over-engineered. To be actual good value they'd need to be closer to KO prices or about twice the price of a deluxe -- the Sideswipe one can still be found for £24 shipped, versus twice that or more for then original, and the example I got from someone here to pass on to a friend was a very good replica. Always a bit of a lottery to try KOs, though.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Lamborghini mould---Arguably the most expensive of the two, if you're after a G1 hit. Less articulated than the Datsuns, though not a brick at all. Both moulds have more or less articulation points at the same spots, but the lamborghinis have less range of movement.

Character selection is poorer---Sideswipe [G1 colours] is either sold out everywhere or terribly expensive, folks waiting on some magic "reissue" that I don't recall ever reading about. Red Alert is still available at places, but expensive. Tigertrack is the middle option, but nobody cares about him. G2 Sideswipe is the cheapest because it's still in stock nearly everywhere, but the G2 comics head and the pale red used on the robot parts isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Transformation is smooth, with the sides of the car mode being a tad "panely", although G2 Sideswipe is black so it shows much less. Everything tabs in for car mode, not everything locks for robot mode [nothing is loose, I'm just annoyed there's no locking/stopping point to attach the shoulders in the body].

Datsuns: Less expensive because they are still in stock at many places. More points of articulation [knees and elbows are double jointed], shoulders have double ball joints, feet have a wide range of motion and are big enough to support the figure during extreme poses.

Arguably better character selection---there's a relatively A-lister [Prowl] compared to the others. Prowl and Streak have the added benefit of having their shoulder weapons integrated onto the design instead of being add-on parts [Smokescreen and the Lambos have add-on shoulder guns].

Transformation is trickier and not so fun the first few times, locks of very tight tabs which make you a bit nervous when handling it at first. Everything tabs together, so the mould feels a tad more solid than the lambos.

If I were you, I'd pick whichever Datsun character I liked more [Streak is bloody gorgeous in car mode] and save up for G2 Sideswipe, just to have a taste of the mould.

Bear in mind that the amazon exclusives for the lambo mould are relatively useless [and are included with tigertrack either way], whereas the amazon exclusives for Prowl and Streak are a tad more unique and depending on your view, less optional.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

G2 Sideswipe is the only one of the cars I went for, though that was a combination of nostalgia (having owned the original since I was a kid) and honestly thinking that the slavish cartoon schemes for a lot of the characters leave something to be desired (Prowl in particular is just blah without his toy deco, IMO, no matter how great the mold is). Don't have him in hand to provide a real review yet, though.

Bluestreak is gorgeous too, truly, but I find it hard to get very excited for a Masterpiece of a character I don't care about at all.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:(Prowl in particular is just blah without his toy deco, IMO, no matter how great the mold is). Don't have him in hand to provide a real review yet, though.
Hoping the shoulder stickers from this set will make a good impression;

http://reprolabels.com/Binaltech/prowl.php
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I'd go for the G2 Sideswipe. But as that's the only one I have, my opinion is a bit limited. The deco is bloody gorgeous, though. And he's in scale with Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker, pretty much.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Heinrad wrote:I'd go for the G2 Sideswipe. But as that's the only one I have, my opinion is a bit limited. The deco is bloody gorgeous, though. And he's in scale with Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker, pretty much.
These are the same size as a deluxe class? I thought they were more like Binaltech size? And even though I know nothing about G2 Sideswipe's comic appearances, it is the one that looks coolest to me, besides Prowl. So I think it is just down to those two. I hope it is bigger than a deluxe though! Anyone know a good size comparison photo for these with more current figures?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Also..I saw on BBTS in some of the descriptions for the Lamborghini mold a disclaimer saying..
Our supplier has informed us that the QC issues present in the initial release of MP-12 should be resolved for this production run.
Anyone know what the QC issues were?
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I think it was just some minor paint issues. Too think in places, too thin in others. Something like that. Could be wrong though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Ackula wrote:These are the same size as a deluxe class? I thought they were more like Binaltech size? And even though I know nothing about G2 Sideswipe's comic appearances, it is the one that looks coolest to me, besides Prowl. So I think it is just down to those two. I hope it is bigger than a deluxe though! Anyone know a good size comparison photo for these with more current figures?
In the pics I've seen, it looks like these guys are almost the same height as an Alt/BT toy in robot mode but not nearly as bulky. And the vehicle modes are surprisingly small, to the point where I literally cannot believe that much robot folds up into that little car.

This gallery over at TFW has some comparison shots between MP Smokescreen and the Alternator, if that helps.
Denyer wrote:Hoping the shoulder stickers from this set will make a good impression;

http://reprolabels.com/Binaltech/prowl.php
Not a huge fan of covering up molded details with stickers, but the shoulder deco is a huge part of what's missing on the stock figure, I agree. That and the Autobot symbol on the shin are two of the first things that come to mind when I think "Prowl".
Clay

Post by Clay »

I've just ordered a G2 Sideswipe, mostly on the grounds that it looks bonkers, and partly on the grounds that it's a reworking done right instead of just "Sideswipe, but black so it's G2." I would like to see that trend continue in the future.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

It's Prowl for me.
It's a great toy and G1 Prowl was my first TF.
Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Ackula wrote:Also..I saw on BBTS in some of the descriptions for the Lamborghini mold a disclaimer saying..

Anyone know what the QC issues were?
Paint issues, my Sideswipe has awful paint on the A pillars.
The paint color is a licensed Lamborghini red, but it really needs a primer over the smoked plastic roof piece. The result is thin, blotchy paint apps on the roof and A pillars. The white plastic of most of the car takes paint well, like the front hood that becomes the chest. So in robot mode the lousy paint is less of an issue.
Come on and wind me up.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

I'd go with Tracks/Ravage. Their car modes are solid/sturdy, and the robot mode too.
From the three options, I prefer Tracks (in yellow, even though nostalgia screams blue).
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper