TFSource / TF-1 Articles

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think it's staying combined for a bit. Takes up so much less space and next to other stuff really captures Predaking's original billing as a monstrous threat.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Skyquake87 wrote:i thought it looked good too...but does it come with a special arm..?
Maybe get one every year and have my own burning man melting scrounge festival...

Missed Feral Rex when he came out. I'm running out of reasons not to try and get him now, even though that upcoming Poseidon appears to be every bit as amazing. I fear things may get out of hand :(
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I've been reliably informed that tonight's collector's piece will be unique ;) :up:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Do particularly enjoy comic-based collections. And that the comics have moved on from just having gaps between the fight scenes, and that toys out there are more capable of expressing character.

http://tfsource.com/blog/collector-inte ... -hilditch/

http://tfsource.com/blog/pandinus/

Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

It's nice that the series has moved on to showcasing collections like Mort's. Newer fan, newer product.

Shame we seem to have scared Maz away from posting it here himself in the process, but I suppose everything comes with a price.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Seconded. And I like seeing really focused collections like that. I'm trying to weedle mine down a lot (too much stuff just idling around unloved in boxes for one thing) and just keep it to the stuff I find interesting. Its hard work

And, I dunno, the samey-ness of a lot of these Collector Reviews was a legitimate criticism and Maz was very eloquent and reasonable in explaining why they were all of the same type. Its good to see some more variety coming through now! Hooray!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Ha, love the party hat picture. :lol: It's always nice when the photography within is a little bit more interesting than the standard "here is my collection behind panes of glass" types. (not that I think there's anything wrong with those types of photos, but it gets kind of samey after awhile).
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Really enjoying the recent articles - I like to hear about why people collect different figures. It's far more interesting than simply comprehensive collections!

I would say that with a rather eclectic collection myself (lots of Movie and Prime stuff, then more targeted CHUG, Masterpiece and 3P).

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Now that's an eclectic collection, particularly to see displayed. Like the pile 'em deep approach personally -- it's a bit like wallpapering with TFs.

And quite like that Sandstorm homage... just not the size or price tag for a character without much inherent interest to me.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

In two minds about it----I do wholeheartedly agree that we're into this because we like transforming figures, yes.

On the other hand, I don't think it would sit well with me to have just loads of figures up on display like that. It takes away from the individuality and in my opinion, makes the difference between having a nice display and just having a wall of multi-coloured mass of plastic.

Although to be fair, I'm on the opposite end, as I currently have an entire bookcase that only has two figures :lol:

Sandstorm's alt modes look interesting but the robot mode looks like he's wearing a huge diaper.

Blitzwing, on the other hand, looks magnificent. I'm very tempted despite not really caring about the character. The only Blitzwing toy I own is the Animated version.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I don't remember being incredibly excited about any of the triple changers -- although did get Astrotrain from a friend when they got bored of it and Springer when Classic Heroes were around -- and a steam train was an early example of the preposterousness of Transformers as a concept starting to become apparent -- as was the way it was glossed over (as much as I liked steam trains as a kid). Blitzwing and Astrotrain are the iconic two, personally, but stuff in that scale has to work much harder to satisfy and get space.

Overly rapid acquisition can have that effect, and I'd certainly agree there things I haven't paid as much attention to, but each piece I've got out was chosen over quite a period of time and is liked a lot individually apart from a few placeholders -- mainly CHUG bits like Nightbeat and Trailcutter. There's likely to be swap outs on that shelf.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yay Thew! Its nice to get a bit of proper look around his collection and I like that his enthusiasm comes over really well in the interview :)

As for those 3P thingies, Sandstorm looks awful. Really podgy and not much of improvement on his already awesome G1 toy. Whilst I'm not a massive fan of The Generations version, even that looks better. Blitzwing is just a big version of the original toy. Which is good if that's what you're after. Do think the jet mode is a bit 'flat' looking though. I've really got into my Generations version, just for trying and being a glorious folly.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yes. This is a good one too. Good answers imo, and I really do enjoy this man's positivity and enthusiasm (and the picture here in the thread is priceless). I'll have to check him out on YouTube.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

He's great. Pretty much the only TF video reviewer I can stand to watch - just because he doesn't go on for hours :p Keeps it short and to the point.