Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Skyquake87 wrote:I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!! :D
I second that motion. This thread has re-energized my love for my old toys! :D It has also curtailed making new purchases right now since I'm just enjoying what I have and seeing all the other figures that people have enjoyed or been dismayed with over time.

Can the Constructicons get a little love on the Combiner talk? I mentioned these earlier, but didn't have pics.

They're the only Energon era combiners I have, but they were redecoed to G1-ish when Classics hit. One of the first purchases I made when I began collecting again, right alongside Classics Starscream, so they remain one of my favorites.

Messing around with these makes me long for Transformers that are chunky, well built, and just damn fun. Some of the more recent figures have been rather fiddly in my opinion. These are simple to transform, well articulated, and don't seem like they're breaking anytime soon.
Attachments
photo2_zps799ed902.jpg
photo3_zpsf4018a2f.jpg
photo1_zps6811a2bf.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm glad this thread has been fun for folks other than me!
electro girl wrote:Time after time I always go back to playing with Beast Wars Polar Claw, gotta love him.
Skyquake87 wrote:Polar Claw is ace. Sadly, mine is yellowing :( Boooooo. His only flaw is the spring loaded bat not working quite as it should and er, the attack claw always unravelling. So thats two flaws. Yay me.
Polar Claw is great. I got one second-hand about a year ago, and he's one of my favourite BW toys. The little bat guy doesn't like to stay in his "gun" mode but otherwise all of his mechanisms are in like-new shape. No yellowing either, thankfully.
Skyquake87 wrote:COMBATICONS COMBATICONS COMBATICONS! WE ARE MIGHTY AND HAVE LOTS OF GUNS! WE DO SHOOTING AND FIGHTY THINGS!
In spite of the 842 times they've been released, I've never actually owned a Combaticon team. The closest I've come is having G2 versions of Blast Off and Swindle.

I love the G1 combiners in general, though, especially the Scramble City-type ones. The huge number of available figures made them lots of fun as a kid even if I did have trouble assembling full teams. I may have to take a peek at some of those guys next.
Notabot wrote:I kind of go in spurts of thinking animal TFs are great and thinking they're really stupid, but one that always makes me smile is Stampy.
I don't have a Stampy, but I do have one en route!

He looks like one of the best Japanese BW molds. He's not a shellformer like so many of them were, which automatically elevates him above the handful of molds I've got currently (mostly Universe versions of BW Neo dinosaurs).

A whole bunch of stuff from me today!

First off, a set that's always had a special place in my heart: the last full wave of Universe Deluxes.

Image Image

Longhorn is a redeco of one of the greatest molds of the Beast Wars, Ramulus. His colours sound really odd on paper, but in person the blue, gold and dark red look really cool together. He's got great poseability in robot mode, with cool forearm-blades and a nice, mythological look owing to walking around on rams' legs. And his beast mode is functionally poseable too, a rarity for BW-era molds.

Frostbite is a bit disappointing. His paint job and colour scheme are glorious, but the actual toy is an awkward, messy little dwarf. His beast mode especially looks great, but basically falls apart as soon as I try to touch it. Robot mode is more stable but quite messy, especially with all those jackal arms rolled up on his biceps. I can't hate him though, he's just too pretty.

Night Slash Cheetor is one of exactly two BM Maximals that I don't think look horrible (the other one is Longhorn's original BM toy), and I was stoked when he came out in this colour scheme. I'm not quite as enamoured now as I was then, but he's definitely the best toy I've ever seen of any of the BM show Maximals. His major failing his his transformation, which is (like too many BM toys) just his beast mode standing up, with a new head. But that beast mode looks great and his sword gimmick in robot mode is cool.

And another, more random grouping!

Image Image

My opinions on Black Shadow haven't softened much from the time I reviewed him for the site. The Thunderwing mold is solidly mediocre, and Black Shadow's colours don't do anything to elevate him above his more recognizable cousin. His dull grey arms fell especially flat IMO, since the original figure had some nice splashes of white to break them up.

Stalker Scorponok has a really cool beast mode. I definitely like the BW-inspired deco that this version got over the grey and bronze colours of the screen accurate 2007 figure. He's barely a Transformer, though, and that really takes away from his value IMO.

ROTF Depth Charge is still one of my favourites from that line. I love that he turns into a warship, since he's one of a very few Transformers with legitimate seafaring modes as opposed to wishy-washy "space boats" and hovercrafts. His deco is gorgeous too, a nice marine camo pattern. His robot mode is a bit awkward, with much of its' mass ending up on his feet, but I like it. Since mass-shifting isn't really a thing in the movieverse Depth Charge would be massive, hundreds of feet tall and probably bigger than the biggest Transformers we've seen on-screen so far in the movies (which IIRC was Devastator). The robot mode has the look of an appropriately hulking giant about it in spite of being a little Scout, and I like that.

Universe Strika looks nothing like the character from the TV show, but then the original toy didn't either. The mainly yellow and lavender deco is cool, giving her a slight feminine edge in spite of being a deeply genderless mold. The worn-looking paint was a nice touch too, and the first time I'd ever seen that on an official toy. Like a lot of BM Vehicons, the vehicle mode has a lot more personality and a much more coherent design than the robot mode. Said robot is, sadly, very clunky and unsightly. I still think it's a good toy, but not up to the same (admittedly high) standards as Obsidian or the Deluxe Jetstorm that begot the Skywarp I talked about in the first post.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I love Frostbite! I am so happy I own one, but I can't say he's amazing, for the reasons what you have done there. But he's still great. Not too keen on the mustard yellow NSC, I prefer the brooding dark blue/ black of the original BM version. I'll have to look one of those up one of these days. Just 'cos Cheetor's original BM toy is cack.

The Classics Devastator is pretty nifty, I sold him to get the universe build team recolours though (better toys, IMO).

Some more!

Universe Shadowstriker & Roulette
Sexy Lady Bots with amusing trout pout lipstick mouths! Yeah, the comedy pucker mouths do spoil things a bit, but the colours on these two are ace. Shame there was no budget to do anything with the moulded Autobot brand on Shadowstriker's left forearm though.

Beast Wars Bonecrusher
Hairy Bison fun with comedy mouth launched missile me do. A really great little toy. The missile gimmick does fill out an inordinate amount of the figure, but.he.shoots.missiles.from.his.mouth!Brilliant.Looks ridiculous as an attack feature in beast mode. Robot mode is another great piece of work from Kenner. Lovely balance of black, grey and white accented with red and metallic colours. Love the expressive 'Star Wars Hands' tat Kenner introduced to this era of Transformers. Better than the usual block with a hole, which sadly persists to this day.

Transformers Collection Tracks
Tracks is a personal favourite of mine. I know his character is this little Lord Fauntleroy type, and he's got a crappy humanoid face for his animation model (and Classics update), but his original toy is just class. He lacks a lot of the die cast of some of his Diaclone brethern, but it makes him more durable. He has a silly flight mode (beating M.A.S.K's Thunderhawk to the punch) and proportion problems in robot mode, but there's just something endlessly appealing to me about his mix of blue and chrome, coupled with that flaming hood deco. I think this mainly stems from drooling over that picture in the UK '85 Annual where Rumble's punching him in the chest.

E-Hobby Road Rage
Red Tracks. But a LADY. I like that she's a bodyguard for Crosscut. And looks funky in her red and black / gunmetal get up.
Attachments
Road Rage 02.JPG
DSCN0419.JPG
Beast Wars 123.jpg
Shadowstriker.JPG
Roulette.JPG
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Black Shadow has more character (and definition in the head sculpt and detailing)... the Thunderwing release of the mould feels rather lacking. Still quite like both.

I like that ROTF Bruticus blue helicopter, it'd probably adapt to Rotorstorm nicely. Shame the set seems to go for daft amounts now.

Speaking of which, I've probably really pissed someone off this evening by sniping a Munitioner but not the Explorer the same eBayer was selling.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Warcry wrote: In spite of the 842 times they've been released, I've never actually owned a Combaticon team. The closest I've come is having G2 versions of Blast Off and Swindle.
Me either. The closest I've come, really, is the Universe rerelease of the Energon Combaticons with the Fansproject upgrade kits. The only one I owned before that was a lone G1 Brawl.
Warcry wrote:My opinions on Black Shadow haven't softened much from the time I reviewed him for the site. The Thunderwing mold is solidly mediocre, and Black Shadow's colours don't do anything to elevate him above his more recognizable cousin. His dull grey arms fell especially flat IMO, since the original figure had some nice splashes of white to break them up.
I love his colors at that head. It's classic. Reminds me of the old giant robot shows.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Whilst putting some new Transformers away, I had to get TFCC Scourge out to stand beside Generations Sky-byte. Bit of a disaster, as Scourge is half his height (although remains an awesome mould with superb paint apps - he's just more than a bit short...).

Couldn't resist getting a few other Classics-style figures out to fiddle with given most of my Transformers on shelves have been movie-verse and Masterpiece lately.

RTS Lugnut remains totally and utterly awesome - he goes from an Indiana Jones style cargo plane which is pretty elegant to a hulking monster of a robot in a very enjoyable transformation (I do wish he'd stop firing a missile out of his arse though). I love the Classics-style reimagining of the Animated character having never been into the overly stylised, erm, style of that line.

Generations Deluxe Warpath also remains superb - the way everything folds into a streamlined robot is great, and I really like the G1 catch-phrases printed on the tank mode.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Blackjack wrote:So I have been going on an toy archive binge lately because of this thread, and I stumbled upon my Cybertron Metroplex review. Which has... ridiculously terrible pictures, so I dug Metroplex (or 'Megalo Convoy' if you want to be all Japanese) out of the shelf he's been displayed in for the last three or four years, and is surprised by just how tall he actually is -- I've actually been displaying Metroplex in his 'work' mode to have him fit the shelf he's in. He's a massive, tall toy that's fun! ...

He's pretty tall and massive, easily dwarfing my Supreme class Predaking and Fall of Cybertron Bruticus (who he's standing in the middle of in his full glory). He's got a pretty m'eh alternate mode that's actually based on a real thing.
I've seen one of the real things he's based on, rearing over a hill in Western Australia, grinding the world into oblivion... Pretty awe-inspiring if horrendously environmentally damaging. I have a weird love-hate relationship with construction and mining machinery... Love the machines, hate what they do.

I'd love to get a Cybertron Metroplex one day. I missed out due to employment issues when he was released. He just looks so snazzy.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

numbat wrote:I'd love to get a Cybertron Metroplex one day.
He is awesome indeed. I got him for less than half the original price thanks to Cybertron stock being cleared out to make way for Movie toys. Not knowing the slightest thing about Metroplex or the Cybertron line, the only real choices were Metroplex and Primus.

'Why would I want a toy that turns into a stupid looking ball?' I said. 'And his robot mode has all these ball halves hanging off him.' So I got Metroplex, plus Crumplezone (who I liked from the show). I have never regretted that decision.
Denyer wrote:I like that ROTF Bruticus blue helicopter, it'd probably adapt to Rotorstorm nicely. Shame the set seems to go for daft amounts now.

I have never even considered that. Bruticus now has Air Raid for an arm and Vortex Undercover Rotorstorm hangs out with Guzzle, Kup, Whirl, Springer and the Jumpstarters.
Skyquake wrote:Beast Wars Bonecrusher
I've always thought that toys that shoot missiles through their mouth (Bonecrusher, Jetstorm... and there's one more from Beast Wars, I think) are a little bit daft, but I did have the chance to see Bonecrusher in person and I thought it looked pretty charming. Though my massive bias for all things Beast Wars may have miscoloured my perceptions.
electro girl wrote:Time after time I always go back to playing with Beast Wars Polar Claw, gotta love him.
Ooooh Polar Claw! Polar Claw is easily the favourite Beast Wars toy I own. Will talk about him in a later post.

Notabot wrote:I kind of go in spurts of thinking animal TFs are great and thinking they're really stupid, but one that always makes me smile is Stampy.
Warcry wrote:I don't have a Stampy, but I do have one en route!
I want a Stampy. :(

I want a Bunny Wobot.

I'll have to dig out my Beast Wars stuff and talk about them all.
Warcry wrote:Longhorn is a redeco of one of the greatest molds of the Beast Wars, Ramulus.
Ramulus is freaking awesome.

He's, like, my second-favourite Beast Wars toy after Polar Claw.

The rest are Cicadacon, Torca, Prowl, Buzzclaw and Retrax in that order, though that new Terrorstrafe is quickly gaining on me too.
Warcry wrote:(the other one is Longhorn's original BM toy)
-puttup-
Warcry wrote:Stalker Scorponok has a really cool beast mode. I definitely like the BW-inspired deco that this version got over the grey and bronze colours of the screen accurate 2007 figure. He's barely a Transformer, though, and that really takes away from his value IMO.
I have the original movie Scorponok. And while it might not mean much to you all, Scorponok was the most awesome villain from the 2007 Movie... which you all will know as the defining moment for my descent into Transformers madness. It took so long just to kill this one little bugger, and he was even just this little attack dog of the helicopter dude that blew everyone up!

And the visuals -- I never thought a robot scorpion jumping out of sand could look in any way realistic. But Scorponok did! And the way he went in and out of the sand like this monstrous creature... Scorponok was one of the most awesome visual spectacles that will stay in my head forevermore.

I have his toy, and it's poop -- the gear system in mine seems to have cracked -- but he's still awesome for all that reason.
Skyquake wrote:COMBATICONS COMBATICONS COMBATICONS! WE ARE MIGHTY AND HAVE LOTS OF GUNS! WE DO SHOOTING AND FIGHTY THINGS!
I have two full sets of Combaticons (G2 Fall of Cybertron, regrettably, and Energon) plus Universe Onslaught, Animated Swindle, the other Universe Onslaught, Movie Brawl and the PCC Bombshock Combaticon thing. So yeah, consider your Combaticon love shared by me!

A bunch of extra toys from me, while I take pictures for the site:

First up is Cicadacon, who is a wonderful robot:
He's just so posable, and comes with two pretty funky-looking swords. You'd think being a part of a combiner would kind of ruin him, but no. Cicadacon has a ridiculous amount of articulation and stability, even outperforming some other Beast Wars toys that doesn't even need to combine. His limbs are just free of any sort of kibble, which help out, and his facesculpt is this devilish-looking thing that looks pretty awesome.

And those wings! Each of them are ball-jointed, so Cicadacon can splay them out like a butterfly out to murder you, or have them trail behind him like a cape. They also double as really awesome sword-sheaths.

He turns into a cicada, which is sorta cool -- my review probably details about the extreme amount of biologically-accurate detail they fitted into this toy, so I'm not going to bore you, but Cicadacon is an awesome Cicada. And he combines with the nearly equally-awesome Sea Clamp (which I'll talk about later) and Ramhorn (who sucks) into the mightily awesome Tripredacus! The combination is just a bonus, though -- Cicadacon himself is pretty damn awesome.

Next up is Henkei Mirage. People's talked about the original Mirage and Fracture in this thread, and he is indeed a beautiful, athletic mould. Granted he looks pretty much nothing like the original G1 Mirage, but you know what? That's a good thing! The original Mirage is this blocky-looking dude who I wince every time he shows up in a comic or a cartoon, because this toy right here? It has taken root firmly in my subconsciousness as the one true Mirage. He's just so awesome and posable and just hands-down cool.

The definitive Megatron in my collection for a long, long time was Henkei Megatron. Sadly, unlike Mirage, the years haven't been kind to Megatron. Thanks to actually playing with the Henkei toys when I was younger, Megatron's purple chrome on his insignia and his chest have worn off. There are some chipped black paint on his legs as well -- but, eh, battle damage!

Megatron's kinda cool, but is starting to show his age. His hip joints are pretty ratchety, and it's rather hard to get Megatron in a position where his feet look normal. His arms are rather weird as well, with each fist being static and pointing in different directions.

Despite all that, though, Megatron is probably the only Henkei toy that outright shines above the original Classics deco, doing away with all the loud green and orange, and replacing the purple with a nicer tone of black. As my various other toys have shown, gray is a pretty boring colour, but Henkei Megatron adds some red to the mix which makes him look pretty attractive. And while the Nerf gun wings really ruin the look of the Classics toy, on the Henkei version they sorta look like wings, which again makes him quite cool. He's not the best toy out there, but I think he's the best Megatron toy I own.

And he now hangs out with my Lost Light boys.

Also, he turns into a Nerf gun... which I don't really mind. Robbed away of the silly orange and green pain, Megatron just looks like a random space-gun the way Shockwave, Sixshot and Galvatron looks like. And it fits my hand perfectly and the trigger makes a really satisfying click sound when you pull it.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

OH! How did I forget him!

Cyberton Primus: He's big, bulky, and turns into a spiky ball! I got my second hand and thus was missing the Omega Lock (a mechanical pencil and some patience substitutes), but he's still a great toy.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

****, I forgot to include the Energon Aerialbots, despite them being the main reason why I took pictures of some other dudes! Anyway, here's Superion:

The Fireflight/Skydive mould make pretty serviceable arms or legs, but the Air Raid/Airazor one is horrible in both leg and arm form. On my Bruticus it's better thanks to Onslaught being a better torso piece, but Silverbolt is just a shitty little thing with hips that refuse to bend the way you want to, and thus you'll have him always favouring one leg over the other. Basically while the little plane dudes are cool Silverbolt is shit and ruins the entire set for me.

The first picture shows Silverbolt flanked by Fireflight and Skydive -- damned if I know which is which. The second one shows Air Raid (black one) and Airazor (white one).

Here are the alternate modes:

Silverbolt is crap all around. He's a shitty torso, as mentioned above, basically refusing to stand properly while in combined mode. In his robot mode, he has these ugly massive gorilla arms, and his nosecone chest refuses to peg with the crotch. Add that to the unsightly gap between the nosecone and the body and he really sucks. The jet mode? Pfft, from that angle he might look impressive, but he's not in person. Add that to his uninteresting paint scheme, which makes the already boring Storm Jet one look even worse, and Silverbolt might be the least favourite toy in my collection. Now that one of the Warthog moulds have taken Vortex Rotorstorm's place as Bruticus' arm, I have no need for Superion so into the Box of Shame he goes.

The Warthogs, Fireflight and Skydive, are pretty solid limbs, either as arms or legs. I mean, the arm basically is a crab claw with two gun-fingers, but it's better than what the Brawl mould or the Air Raid mould forms. They are pretty decent little jets as well, and while nowhere as impressive as Universe Powerglide still manages to pull off the distinctive look quite well. In robot mode they're a bit less impressive than I remembered. I do like how the wings can be splayed out or folded backwards to give then distinctive looks, and the asymmetrical feet work well too, and the massive energon blasters look nice in robot mode. They have these blocky turbine arms, however, and while I'm a big fan of the flip-down machinegun goggles, they pop off way too easily for my likes. Also, they're kind of ruined by their rather ugly paint schemes. Ugh. Compared to the original usages of the mould -- Sky Shadow and Terradive, plus the Fanclub's Skyfall, these two are just rather ugly.

Air Raid and Airazor, on the other hand, are pretty great transformers even if they make shitty limbs. The two-breadsticks-joined-together-by-a-flat-piece assembly that's either supposed to be his feet or fingers will pop off whatever you do, and the Air Raid's limbs trying to hold together that yoga pose when he's in combined form? Not too stable. But as little transformers they are pretty fun! They've got a pretty solid robot mode and a pretty solid jet mode. Airazor's a bit blah, and Air Raid looks pretty weak next to the similarly-coloured Treadshot, and their weapons are kind of shit. What are they supposed to be anyway? Clubs? Darth Maul double-bladed lightsabers? Guns that will shoot you in the face if you fire them? Tuning forks? They're solid little toys, I suppose, but doesn't impress me much.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I hate the Side Burn mold, so Shadow Striker and Roulette have never done anything for me. They look cooler than he does at least.

(And the dreaded Side Burn transformation is a joke compared to what some of the movie toys gave us!)
Thunderwave wrote:I love his colors at that head. It's classic. Reminds me of the old giant robot shows.
I really, really want to like Black Shadow, and I agree about the head -- it's brilliant! He just needs a bit more paint (and to be a Voyager, but not much can be done about that...)
numbat wrote:RTS Lugnut remains totally and utterly awesome - he goes from an Indiana Jones style cargo plane which is pretty elegant to a hulking monster of a robot in a very enjoyable transformation (I do wish he'd stop firing a missile out of his arse though). I love the Classics-style reimagining of the Animated character having never been into the overly stylised, erm, style of that line.
Guess who I just took pics of for my own toy ranting? :glance:

Will go into detail about him later, but basically I agree with everything you say. Except he's not a cargo plane, he's a bomber -- cargo planes don't have tail guns and turrets.
numbat wrote:Generations Deluxe Warpath also remains superb - the way everything folds into a streamlined robot is great, and I really like the G1 catch-phrases printed on the tank mode.
One of my favourite Deluxes ever! A great toy. Though I disagree about the catch-phrases, I think it makes it look like a jackass deco'ed the toy. I feel the same way about Lugnut having his name printed all over him, or Universe Onslaught having some fanboy's birth date tampographed on him. I'm glad that nonsense has stopped.
Blackjack wrote:I've always thought that toys that shoot missiles through their mouth (Bonecrusher, Jetstorm... and there's one more from Beast Wars, I think) are a little bit daft, but I did have the chance to see Bonecrusher in person and I thought it looked pretty charming. Though my massive bias for all things Beast Wars may have miscoloured my perceptions.
Sky Shadow, dammit! Don't forget him! :(

Transquito too, I think. Does Jetstorm have a missile? I thought he sprayed water? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different guy.

I've always been of two minds about the missile-mouths, too. On the one hand they're stupid, on the other hand they're hilarious. Can you imagine these guys trying to communicate with their allies in combat, speaking around the gigantic missiles they're chewing on?
Warcry wrote:(the other one is Longhorn's original BM toy)
Blackjack wrote:-puttup-
Screw you, BM Longhorn is awesome! :)

(Well, okay, not awesome, but he's pretty okayish.)
Blackjack wrote:I have the original movie Scorponok. And while it might not mean much to you all, Scorponok was the most awesome villain from the 2007 Movie... which you all will know as the defining moment for my descent into Transformers madness. It took so long just to kill this one little bugger, and he was even just this little attack dog of the helicopter dude that blew everyone up!
You're not alone on this. Scorponok remains the most memorable part of the entire TF movie franchise to me. Up until then I was iffy on the whole concept of live-action robots, but he sold it perfectly.
Blackjack wrote:Also, he turns into a Nerf gun... which I don't really mind. Robbed away of the silly orange and green pain, Megatron just looks like a random space-gun the way Shockwave, Sixshot and Galvatron looks like. And it fits my hand perfectly and the trigger makes a really satisfying click sound when you pull it.
I've never understood why our fandom loves the gun alt-modes so much. Maybe I just don't get it because I can go shoot real guns whenever I want? I dunno. But this mold never attracted me at all.

I'll talk about my favourite Megs later this week probably, but for today...

Image Image

What can I say about Lugnut that numbat hasn't already? Lots, as it turns out. I like that Hasbro decided to go with something like the more subdued "Atomic Lugnut" colours rather than the original, mostly-purple deco (Takara showed us what that mistake would look like). I love his cyclopean head and lantern jaw, and the huge, articulated hands that are good for hoisting up Scouts. The alt-mode is brilliant, too.

I do think it's silly that the biggest, most proud Decepticon got released in a line where Hasbro refused to put any faction symbols but rubsigns on the toys, though. He should be wearing his insignia proudly! Thankfully, Reprolabels fix that nicely.

Bludgeon on the other hand is kind of awkward. His hips don't want to stay pegged together, his articulation moves in ways that don't always make him look so good (especially at the shoulders) and his transformation is a bit frustrating (am I the only one who feels like he needs a hammer to get the head to slide down when going to tank mode?). The aesthetic is nice, though, and I'm happy that the designers were able to successfully merge the original's Pretender shell and alt mode together with some more overt samurai elements and a "mechanized skeleton" look that fits in beautifully with the on-screen movie characters. ROTF had a few great off-screen figures. Bludgeon isn't one of them, but he's still pretty cool.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:(And the dreaded Side Burn transformation is a joke compared to what some of the movie toys gave us!)
I was about to talk about ROTF Mixmaster, which I dug out of display alongside Superion, but I gave up transforming him even after looking up instructions from the internet. ****ing hell, Mixmaster...

None of the other ROTF toys are remotely this frustrating. I got Fallen and Demolishor out and they're as simple as any Voyager should be. They're fun, even if Demolishor's treads are a bit sticky for whatever reason.

Mixmaster is a very show-accurate robot, I think, from what little we saw of him in ROTF. He's a ridiculous bundle of ball joints and random kibble hanging off. In theory, he can pull off a shit-ton of poses and do all the stuff with the flipping around and planting his four shields onto the ground and turn into that cannon mode, but the sheer amount of joints and all the moving parts makes him a really, really unwieldy toy. And I remembered him having the most impressive and show-accurate alternate mode compared to the other Constructicons I own other than the fact that his mixing drum can't spin... but I can't bloody transform him so that's a moot point.
Warcry wrote:I really, really want to like Black Shadow, and I agree about the head -- it's brilliant!
I got Thunderwing out. He's a tiny little midget isn't he? I kept him hidden behind Straxus and Shockwave in my Decepticon leaders display, and I can see why. He's not a bad toy in any stretch, but he's just so simple and short and generally looks rather... weak overall.

He's nowhere as horrible as Universe Galvatron, though, who's a massive mess all around.
Warcry wrote:Sky Shadow, dammit! Don't forget him! :(

Does Jetstorm have a missile? I thought he sprayed water? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different guy.
D'oh, yeah, I had Sky Shadow in mind, but typed Jetstorm instead. I think I mixed up the two green Predacons with bug wings splayed upwards from their hips. I do know Jetstorm is the one that shot out water.

Also, protip to anyone who's fiddling around with water-shooting toys: don't play with them on your desk!. I mucked around with Torca's water gun just now, and apparently it still had water inside it and ended up having to blow-dry a bunch of important papers that got soaked.
Warcry wrote:Transquito too, I think.
This is the ****er I forgot!
Warcry wrote:Screw you, BM Longhorn is awesome! :)
I bought a MOC Longhorn like a year ago and it's your fault! He's not particularly horrible like some other toys I own (Guiledart, Retrax, Motorarm) but his robot mode is kind of odd-looking. From the weird weapons in his hands to the transparent aqua plastic they use for the chest -- which is an odd choice to use... he would certainly be improved by using more gold or maroon.

He's not a bloody mess the way Geckobot is, though. (Where did my Geckobot go?)
Warcry wrote:You're not alone on this. Scorponok remains the most memorable part of the entire TF movie franchise to me. Up until then I was iffy on the whole concept of live-action robots, but he sold it perfectly.
Blackout alone had already impressed me quite a lot. I went into the movie theater thinking it's some kind of bad action movie with fancy CGI in the style of... oh, Inspector Gadget or something (this was before superhero movies were a staple, and honestly what do you expect with a silly title like 'transformers'?), and the Blackout simply sold the movie and the Scorponok scene turned it into my all-time favourite movie.
Warcry wrote:I've never understood why our fandom loves the gun alt-modes so much. Maybe I just don't get it because I can go shoot real guns whenever I want? I dunno. But this mold never attracted me at all.
I don't love the gun alt-mode, but it's something the original Megatron turned into so eh, why not? The feeling's like owning, oh, a reissue of the original Optimus or Jazz, or owning G1 Bumblebee and Ironhide. In my head these guys don't look like that, aren't supposed to turn into a beat-up red minivan or a VW, but there's still a nice sense of old homage aura going on.

I think this is really the first time I transformed Megatron into his gun mode and really looked at it ever since I reviewed him so many years ago.

Megatron is forevermore a jet or a tank in my head. More tank than jet in recent years, because none of the jet Megatrons really look good -- the 2007 Movie and Prime decents are memorable but their jet modes are basically shapes piled up on each other. And as much as I like Animated Megatron he never really spends that much time in his helicopter mode. So I guess Megatron's a tank in my head?

No, wait. He's a Tee-Rex, not a Tank!

-goes off to grab Beast Megatron-

Here we go. Officially the second best character in the entire Transformers franchise, and having the most awesome voice in it as well, a repaint of the Beast Wars Megatron toy (T-Wrecks) has the distinction of being a really memorable toy from my childhood before I even know what a 'Transformer' is. So when I started collecting stuff I stumbled upon this and went 'holy shit, my old toy! In purple!' I had no idea what this Beast Wars stuff is, and I keep kicking myself for not picking up Optimus Primal when I did, but here's Telemocha Robot Masters Megatron.

It's a Classics-styled version of the original first Megatron toy... and while everyone probably will agree that the best Beast Megatron look is the Transmetal body, this is the one I identify with Megatron the most. He's a bit of an unwieldy toy thanks to having two massive kibble wings, a big T-Rex head for a hand and a T-Rex tail that keeps falling off on the other, but he's still a wonderfully coloured toy that does what it means to do very well.

This Megatron has always been the centerpiece of my collection ever since I displayed them instead of keeping them in boxes, first standing next to the Henkei dude in the center of the shelf, and then graduating into standing in the forefront of my Beast Wars one when it similarly exploded.

I just wonder why Hasbro never redecoed the Robot Masters Optimus Primal and Megatron moulds (and the crappy Star Saber and all the other dudes, for that matter). If anything, it would make for really cheap Walmart exclusives or whatever that'll draw Beast Wars fans, and they look a lot better than the actual new-mould Cybertron Optimus Primal and Megatron they did. And as Takara recently proved, they haven't lost the moulds, so what gives? No, instead we get the god damned Ammonites.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Notabot wrote:I kind of go in spurts of thinking animal TFs are great and thinking they're really stupid, but one that always makes me smile is Stampy. From the name to the fact that he's a red-eyed rabbit to the fact that he turns into big scissors, he just makes me happy. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I wound up with two Stampys, and both are boldly displayed and pointed out to people when they come to visit.
Stampy is also the unofficial sixth Predacon according to me.

And to get in on the Energon combiner fun, here are the Superlink versions:

From what I remember, Buildron is nearly identical to Constructicon Maximus, Superion uses a darker shade of translucent blue than Superion Maximus, and Bruticus... Bruticus is pretty different. The tanks are less loud, but the orange helicopter is still there.

And here are some other old favorites, Universe Silverstreak and Cybertron Menasor.
ImageImage

I really like Silverstreak's colors, and think he's the prettiest of the three. The turtleneck look isn't flattering, but it's a solid effort. Mostly rendered obsolete by the Masterpiece version being so similar in size and just being plain gorgeous.

Cybertron Menasor is great fun! He turns into I-don't-know-what, but it looks huge! And he has a Minicon in his chest! Really though, I do like the look of the of guy even if he dips into inner-Pretender-robot levels of nonsense alternate modes. But given his overall profile as a robot (wing-things, a giant claw for a right hand, and a giant pointy thing for a left hand), and given all the really random redecos Cybertron toys got for Universe 2008 padding, I don't know how this mold wasn't used for Omega Supreme. With a new head, he'd be perfectly passable next to a group of Legends figures.

Also from around the same time, Superlink Galvatron G!
ImageImage

Despite what the tfwiki tells people to think, I like this version much better than the pointlessly-oversized version released by Hasbro. For a long time, this was my Classics Galvatron. Then the Universe 2008 Galvatron was released, at which point this guy remained my Classics Galvatron. :)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Clay wrote:Stampy is also the unofficial sixth Predacon according to me.
And then you killed him off, didn't you? Heartless creature! :(

Stampy's cool. I want a Stampy.
Clay wrote:I really like Silverstreak's colors, and think he's the prettiest of the three. The turtleneck look isn't flattering, but it's a solid effort. Mostly rendered obsolete by the Masterpiece version being so similar in size and just being plain gorgeous.
I do really like Silverstreak's colours. He's pretty gorgeous. You can own both the MP and Universe and one can be Bluestreak and one can be Silverstreak. He's a pretty toy.
Clay wrote:Cybertron Menasor is great fun! He turns into I-don't-know-what, but it looks huge!
I would certainly like a Mensaor toy to display next to Metroplex. They're rivals or something in the show, aren't they? Menasor just looks so freaking awesome in robot mode -- I think all Giant Planet Transformers just have this thing going on where they have awesome-looking robot modes but turn into... things.

Didn't they do Omega Supreme with Energon Omega Supreme?
Clay wrote:Despite what the tfwiki tells people to think, I like this version much better than the pointlessly-oversized version released by Hasbro. For a long time, this was my Classics Galvatron. Then the Universe 2008 Galvatron was released, at which point this guy remained my Classics Galvatron. :)
Screw the Wiki and what they tell people to think!

That's a pretty gorgeous Galvatron toy! Not a big fan of the blue crown, and he does look a little clunky, but both his robot mode and his jet mode look pretty damn pretty. I didn't even know he comes with a little tank dude that seems to turn into a cannon! I would buy that if that shows up in the stores and chuck my Universe Galvatron out the window. Galvatron is only around because Scourge and Cyclonus needs someone to hang around with.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Blackjack wrote:I do really like Silverstreak's colours. He's pretty gorgeous. You can own both the MP and Universe and one can be Bluestreak and one can be Silverstreak. He's a pretty toy.
Yeah, but the Universe mold only looks good in the absence of the Masterpiece mold. I like the Universe Sideswipe and Masterpiece Sideswipe equally and simultaneously for different reasons, but the MP Datsun just overrides the Universe version for me.
I would certainly like a Mensaor toy to display next to Metroplex. They're rivals or something in the show, aren't they? Menasor just looks so freaking awesome in robot mode -- I think all Giant Planet Transformers just have this thing going on where they have awesome-looking robot modes but turn into... things.

Didn't they do Omega Supreme with Energon Omega Supreme?
Two out of three, anyway. The other Giant Planet figure just turns into a cement truck. And yeah, they did use Energon Omega Supreme again in 2013, but I was referring to the mass of repaint figures in 2008. I'd have figured Menasor would have fit in there as Omega better than, say, Soundwave as Blaster... with Soundwave's head.
Screw the Wiki and what they tell people to think!

That's a pretty gorgeous Galvatron toy! Not a big fan of the blue crown, and he does look a little clunky, but both his robot mode and his jet mode look pretty damn pretty. I didn't even know he comes with a little tank dude that seems to turn into a cannon! I would buy that if that shows up in the stores and chuck my Universe Galvatron out the window. Galvatron is only around because Scourge and Cyclonus needs someone to hang around with.
He's chunky, to be sure, but he's actually pretty fun. He has several automorphing parts that would become widespread with the first movie stuff. I don't like that he's so much bigger than Cyclonus and Scourge, but you can't win them all. I have a third party Galvatron that's pretty much the perfect iteration of the character, but he too is too big next to Cyclonus and Scourge. It wouldn't be such a problem if Cyclonus and Scourge were terrible, but they're amazing. It'll work out someday though, I'm sure.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Clay wrote:Two out of three, anyway. The other Giant Planet figure just turns into a cement truck.
Oh, I totally forgot Quickmix was part of the Giant Planet! I kept thinking he was from Earth thanks to his alternate mode which made sense.
Clay wrote:And yeah, they did use Energon Omega Supreme again in 2013, but I was referring to the mass of repaint figures in 2008. I'd have figured Menasor would have fit in there as Omega better than, say, Soundwave as Blaster... with Soundwave's head.
Oh, yeah, the 2008 Universe line! I didn't read your other post as thoroughly as I should. Considering the amount of random repaints in that line from Cybertron (Red Alert as Countdown! Evac as Springer! Soundwave as Blaster! Scattershot as this random Dropshot dude! Scattershot completely randomly again as Armada Overlord!) it's rather surprising Menasor wasn't made into Omega Supreme considering how obvious it is.

Also kind of a crime that Cybertron Scourge was never repainted into Hun-Grrr or Sinnertwin. No, we get stupid RID Bruticus the three-headed dog randomly instead.
Clay wrote:I don't like that he's so much bigger than Cyclonus and Scourge, but you can't win them all. I have a third party Galvatron that's pretty much the perfect iteration of the character, but he too is too big next to Cyclonus and Scourge. It wouldn't be such a problem if Cyclonus and Scourge were terrible, but they're amazing. It'll work out someday though, I'm sure.
Yeah, Galvatron really needs to get a new Generations toy really bad. Considering they're revisiting characters that previously already got Generations toys with Jetfire and Powerglide (and technically Onslaught, Silverbolt and Optimus) I do hope, with Galvatron's rising role in the comics, that Hasbro has a new Galvatron toy in the pipeline.

Cyclonus and Scourge are awesome toys. One looks so similar to the cartoon and one is a straight-up 'new modernized body' but they are both so awesome.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Blackjack wrote: Yeah, Galvatron really needs to get a new Generations toy really bad. Considering they're revisiting characters that previously already got Generations toys with Jetfire and Powerglide (and technically Onslaught, Silverbolt and Optimus) I do hope, with Galvatron's rising role in the comics, that Hasbro has a new Galvatron toy in the pipeline.
Agreed. They've also already announced a new Megatron as well (which is a good thing). The only thing I would like to point out is that Powerglide is getting a new Legends figure VS the Ultra he was before, which isn't that uncommon. Although Cosmos was only released as a Legends class figure and he got...another Legends class figure.
numbat

Post by numbat »

After all the FoC Bruticus bashing, I got mine out again, and you know what? I still love him! The G2 colours help I think, but I really love the combined mode, and am happy enough with the individual bots (they are all unique at least, compared with the upcoming Combiner Wars figures that looks like generic permutations of one another). The hands are cool, and I like that the feet are made from the vehicle mode parts too. He's squaring off against Takara Generations Metroplex in my office just now - I don't fancy his chances. I'm considering getting Year of the Snake FoC Supreme Omega Supreme out too. Then he's surely doomed!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:I was about to talk about ROTF Mixmaster, which I dug out of display alongside Superion, but I gave up transforming him even after looking up instructions from the internet. ****ing hell, Mixmaster...

None of the other ROTF toys are remotely this frustrating. I got Fallen and Demolishor out and they're as simple as any Voyager should be. They're fun, even if Demolishor's treads are a bit sticky for whatever reason.
Rampage is atrocious. I can't even figure out how to start putting him back in vehicle mode.

Many a Leader Prime was returned to stores a half-transformed mess by frustrated parents whose children couldn't figure out what to do with it, as well.
Blackjack wrote:I got Thunderwing out. He's a tiny little midget isn't he? I kept him hidden behind Straxus and Shockwave in my Decepticon leaders display, and I can see why. He's not a bad toy in any stretch, but he's just so simple and short and generally looks rather... weak overall.

He's nowhere as horrible as Universe Galvatron, though, who's a massive mess all around.
Thunderwing's mold isn't bad per se, just bland. It does a good job of being a toy of Thunderwing but it's entirely unremarkable at anything else. Though it's got one up on Universe Silverbolt and Generations Jetfire, at least, but not having been inflated two or three size classes bigger than the complexity of the design warrants.
Blackjack wrote:Also, protip to anyone who's fiddling around with water-shooting toys: don't play with them on your desk!. I mucked around with Torca's water gun just now, and apparently it still had water inside it and ended up having to blow-dry a bunch of important papers that got soaked.
:lol:
Blackjack wrote:I bought a MOC Longhorn like a year ago and it's your fault! He's not particularly horrible like some other toys I own (Guiledart, Retrax, Motorarm) but his robot mode is kind of odd-looking. From the weird weapons in his hands to the transparent aqua plastic they use for the chest -- which is an odd choice to use... he would certainly be improved by using more gold or maroon.
Yeah, but he's a BM toy. His competition is stuff like Rattrap or Silverbolt or Nightscream. Being one of the best BM Maximals isn't a high bar to clear.
Blackjack wrote:No, wait. He's a Tee-Rex, not a Tank!

-goes off to grab Beast Megatron-
As much as I love everything Beast Wars, that Megatron design is one that never hooked me. Transmetal? TMII? Beast Machines? Sure. Hell, I can even get behind the gator. But this Megatron just seems really clunky, like they weren't really sure what to do with his beast kibble and just said "screw it" (unlike AoE Scorn, which makes the same basic transformation look really cool).

(Note to self: paint a Scorn purple and give him WFC Megatron's head...)
Clay wrote:And here are some other old favorites, Universe Silverstreak and Cybertron Menasor.
Always been fond of Silverstreak, myself. Oddly, I think Smokescreen looks like garbage and Prowl really hasn't aged well in my eyes (or physically...his paint has mostly rotted away). But Silverstreak's colours are so nice that he makes the admittedly mediocre mold look good.

Ironically, I don't think any line since G1 has managed to make all three Datsuns look good at the same time. We got great Bluestreaks in Masterpiece, Universe and Alternators along with several different flavours of brilliant Smokescreens in the Alt/BT lines, but I don't think there's been a good Prowl since RiD (no, MP doesn't count, it's as bland as a John Barber comic).

I don't have a clue what Menasor turns into, but he looks pretty cool! I especially like his head, with that really prominent rhino horn thing sticking up from it. It gives him a unique look.
Clay wrote:Also from around the same time, Superlink Galvatron G!
Always wanted an Energon Galvatron, but the Hasbro version was so stupidly huge that it had no attraction at all for me. Even the Takara mold, honestly, is a bit much. It's the size of an Energon Ultra, isn't it?
Thunderwave wrote:Agreed. They've also already announced a new Megatron as well (which is a good thing). The only thing I would like to point out is that Powerglide is getting a new Legends figure VS the Ultra he was before, which isn't that uncommon. Although Cosmos was only released as a Legends class figure and he got...another Legends class figure.
Cosmos's two "Legends" figures are totally different sizes, though. Hasbro confusingly reassigned the name to the next size class up for the current stuff.

But Powerglide also got a DOTM Cyberverse Commander a couple years ago that is the exact same size as the upcoming Legend, so you're right that they're not afraid to put the same guy out at the same price point as long as the new toy is different enough.

Today, I've got most of the first wave of the 2003 Universe line for you folks! Skyquake87 covered the glory that is Reptilion a page back, so I won't go over him again. And I don't have Blackarachnia, but I do have...

Image Image

Optimus Primal. This might actually be my favorite beast-era toy. Seriously. The mold is brilliant, and the new colours just knock it out of the park. Red/brown/green/yellow aren't what I normally think of when you say "Optimus", but they work perfectly on this toy. The wild flashes of colour on his beast-mode head and neck are spectacular, and make all the difference in elevating him from "silly monkey" to "rampaging war-painted ape of death". He also comes with enough weapons to outfit a small army, including built-in missile launchers on both his shoulders and left wrist, a flail inside his right wrist, and two swords. He's poseable enough to make all the weapons look good in-hand, too. The swords even look like bananas, which somehow just makes it better.

Razorclaw, sadly, isn't as cool. The Tigerhawk mold is great and I do think he looks a bit better than the original use of this mold, but unlike Primal or Reptilion (or Depth Charge, who I sadly don't own) he's not a huge improvement on the original. The original white/blue deco was pretty bland, and just cried out for the excessive paint apps that the Universe line was known for to make some of the mold's details pop. Razorclaw just didn't get the same attention to detail as Strika or King Atlas or Silverbolt or Frostbite or...you know, pretty much any other Universe toy. The deco artist basically just swapped white and blue for black and purple, omitting the original's chrome while he was at it. And so while Razorclaw is a fun enough toy, he's not nearly as striking as I'd like to be.

(That was a surprise, because he was one of the first then-modern toys I bought once I started collecting again, and I absolutely loved him at the time)

Silverbolt catches even more flak than even the other Universe toys, on account of being...well, sort of insane in the colour department. But once again, I love him! It's the wings that do it, I think. The detail work on the feathers, with each row a different colour that gently fades into the next, with those dark silver veins running through them...that's brilliant. I could do without the neon greenish yellow on his legs though, and the robot mode is a bit boring since most of the paint isn't visible from the front. That's okay, though, because he never needs to leave beast mode -- it's got enough personality and poseability to keep me happy with him. He doesn't adequately replace the original BW toy, which I'd like to track down one day, but he's a neat entity on his own.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

numbat wrote:After all the FoC Bruticus bashing, I got mine out again, and you know what? I still love him! The G2 colours help I think
Yeah, I really do like the colours on G2 Bruticus. It's so bright and shiny. I'm really not big a fan of the robot modes, though... maybe it's because I'm a big fan of how all the original combaticons look -- at least Onslaught, Brawl, Swindle and Vortex have distinct silhouettes in my head... and only Brawl comes remotely close to resembling it.

FOC Bruticus falls in that weird place where it doesn't really work as a homage, and doesn't even look like the game model -- wrong chest, shitty hands (Swindle and Vortex are the most sensible) and using the 'correct' combination makes you use Blast Off as an arm and Blast Off is a horrible arm.

The robots themselves... Ignoring the lack of homaging, I've always thought Vortex and Swindle, taken on their own merits, are average robots with your standard 'not enough articulation problems'. They turn into things that look like alternate modes as well, and I like the two of them.

My favourite design, Brawl, turns into a lumpy tank and his robot mode is marred my extremely skinny feet, extremely tiny guns and a massive backpack, all of which makes standing him up a massive chore. Blast Off's alternate mode is a geometric shape, and his robot mode has these massive, oddly-jointed shoulders and he feels like he's made out of inferior plastic than his buddies. I do like his guns, though.

And let us not speak of the monstrosity named Onslaught, who proves to be shit in all his modes, and somehow has stress marks in various places that doesn't relate to his combination.

I still think they're pretty bad, especially considering how most of their problems could easily be solved by not having to incorporate 'each limb can be an arm or leg' transformations, which take up so much space in every one of them and sacrifices articulation and good transformation for them. Add poor plastic and generally poor show-accuracy and general subjective ugliness... the G2 colours are cool, though, so there's that. I'm sure in a couple years' time my opinions will probably change and I'll go 'oh they're not so bad after all even though they're not g1-looking enough' like I'm doing with the Energon Combaticons right now, but I'm pretty sure Onslaught will remain shit forever.
Warcry wrote:Rampage is atrocious. I can't even figure out how to start putting him back in vehicle mode.
I haven't dug out Rampage in months, but he's pretty easy to figure out. The hands turn into the treads (there's one dummy chink that threw me off), the claws turn into spikes on the back, everything pegs at the bottom and the shovel kibble fold into place. It's annoying to figure out how they fold together, especially since some parts like those pistons just hang off randomly in vehicle mode, but it's nowhere like Mixmaster where he's just a mass of joints and how the hell did the truck cab get like that and where's the missile launcher even supposed to go and I'm just not sure if I'm going to snap something off.
Warcry wrote:Yeah, but he's a BM toy. His competition is stuff like Rattrap or Silverbolt or Nightscream. Being one of the best BM Maximals isn't a high bar to clear.
The only BM competition he has is Geckobot, who is trash. So he has to contend with competing with the rest of the Beast display rack, which is significantly difficult for him.
Warcry wrote:But this Megatron just seems really clunky, like they weren't really sure what to do with his beast kibble and just said "screw it" (unlike AoE Scorn, which makes the same basic transformation look really cool).
Not a big fan of Megatron's wing-kibbles, really. I don't mind the head and the tail, but the wing kibbles are so static. Compared to Henkei Megatron, whose 'wings' can be articulated all the way backwards to make room for arm posability, BW Megatron's wings are just splayed out like that forever.
Warcry wrote:Cosmos's two "Legends" figures are totally different sizes, though. Hasbro confusingly reassigned the name to the next size class up for the current stuff.
Yeah, the newer Cosmos is the size of an old Basic/Scout class toy, and at a higher price point to boot allowing them to afford to engineer something that doesn't have to transform in three steps.
Warcry wrote:Optimus Primal.
Shit, I want an Optimus Primal! The original design has always been my favourite. Not that the other toys are crap (well, other than Beast Machines, obviously), but the original toy is really the only one with a monkey beast mode that I really like -- impressive robot as Optimal Optimus is and as insane as TM Optimus is their beast modes are an afterthought and 'meh' respectively.

(The bat is awesome though)

Don't think the paint scheme for Universe Optimus particularly works for his robot mode, but I do agree that the war-painted ape looks pretty crazy. Still think the original toy looks better, though.
Warcry wrote:The swords even look like bananas, which somehow just makes it better.

Nevermind, Universe Primal is superior.
Warcry wrote:Razorclaw
KNOW THAT HE IS RAZORCLAW

Tigerhawk's mould never impressed me, he doesn't come with any particularly crazy gimmicks the larger BW toys have and the insane price he commands on the secondary market just for appearing in the show puts a wet blanket on me ever getting him. I'm a big fan of the black-and-purple deco so I'll probably jump for Razorclaw, though.
Warcry wrote:Silverbolt
Then again, comparing Razorclaw to Silverbolt (and both are more or less the same animal anyway, one's just a tiger and one's a wolf) and well, Silverbolt's looks just blow him out of the water. Both his original or Universe deco look pretty awesome, and he doesn't really manage to look boring or messy in either mode.