Which Takara toys aren't getting a US release?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Vin Ghostal

Which Takara toys aren't getting a US release?

Post by Vin Ghostal »

So far I've picked up every deluxe, voyager, and leader AOE toy released in the US:

Leader: Optimus Prime, Grimlock
Voyager: EM Optimus, Grimlock, Hound, Galvatron
Deluxe: black Bumblebee, Crosshairs, Drift, Scorn, Slug, TRU Slug, Strafe, TRU Strafe

My question is, of the Takara toys we've seen so far, which ones aren't getting released in the US? If toys like Dino, Soundwave, the re-released legends Devastator, and so on are never making here, I'll just order them from Takara. Anyone have insight on this?
Clay

Post by Clay »

I would say that the chance of Dino, blue Jolt w/whips, etc. coming from Hasbro is nil. Another Takara-only figure is the Wheeljack version of Que.

I believe all of the other upcoming releases have Hasbro counterparts (G1 colored Dinobots, rusty Prime, etc.). Supposedly Takara are re-releasing one of the new leader Prime molds with more accurate feet or something, but the mold looks awful from the start anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll see a repeat of 2007 Movie Prime --> ROTF leader Prime for this new design with the next film in 2017, too.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll see a repeat of 2007 Movie Prime --> ROTF leader Prime for this new design with the next film in 2017, too.
It's a pity - the AoE Generations Leader Prime could have been made infinitely better if the backpack just folded inwards and downwards a bit. But a whole new design could address other things like the weird way the waist is formed.

As to the rest, I think the reissued / remoulded figures are gonna be Takara only. I just ordered most of AoE from Takara, with the exception of a handful of Autobots that didn't have significant paint app differences (ie High Octane Bumblebee, Crosshairs and the Drifts). I also prefer the Hasbro version of Voyager Grimlock, as the shoulder head wing things end up with less brown on them, which means they have less of an impact that the browner Takara version, and more closely resemble the CGI version. That said, it's a terrible mould anyway...

I just got Takara's Rusty Prime yesterday - I've not opened him yet but he does look absolutely gorgeous. It looks like the truck mode is immensely detailed, and literally painted all over, from the bits I can see through the box in robot mode. I don't know how much the Hasbro version will resemble this or if it'll be totally different, skimping on paint.

Black Knight Grimlock also looks amazing in his box - I plan on opening him after work today.

Oh, and I can't stress enough just how much better Takara's Galvatron looks with the lavish paint job.

As to the actual Takara exclusives like Jolt, Dino and Dispensor (the only three I picked up), Dino is a brilliant reuse of Sideways and looks very nice (that said the mould has a lot of kibble on the back, so he looks silly from the sides). Jolt is neat, although mine has loose hip joints. I've not opened Dispensor yet, but have wanted a figure of that guy since 2007 so doubt he can disappoint!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Where do you guys order your Takara imports from? eBay and Amazon prices are pretty steep, and it doesn't seem like third-party websites are much better. Where do you usually go?
numbat

Post by numbat »

I guess it depends on where you live? I live in Scotland, so my experience may not be so relevant. But anyway:

I have used several sellers over the years, depending on prices and availability at the time.

I have ordered by far the most from Robotkingdom, as I find their prices combined with international shipping rates are generally the best deal for me. For instance, my orders of Takara AoE figures have all worked out at or less than UK shelf price for the equivalent size class (except for Rusty Prime which was a bit more expensive, as an exclusive). I'm very pleased I did this for AoE given the generally dreadful paint jobs Hasbro have given their versions!

I have also ordered a fair bit from Big Bad Toy Store, although they tend to be more expensive for me. I figure this is because generally if it's a Japanese import figure I'm after (which it generally has been if I'm ordering online, until now because as of AoE there's basically no distribution of Generations figures in the UK, with the exception of a limited selection being available at Toys R Us as exclusives). I have ordered US figures from BBTS though, which has worked out for me slightly more expensive than the equivalent UK shelf price.

I have had excellent experiences with customer service issues at both Robotkingdom and BBTS.

I have also used TFSource over the years, but had a bat customer service experience a number of years ago which put me off them. They also tend to be more expensive for what I'm looking for.

In the UK I've also used Kapow Toys for a few figures, but they're generally more expensive than importing from a seller in the country / region the toys originate.

Finally, I do buy the odd individual figure from eBay sellers, as this often works out cheaper when I'm only after a single figure, or if something sells out really fast at online stores I know. I've only had a couple of bad experiences on eBay, and I've even had one good customer service experience (after a fair bit of to-and-fro though). eBay is definitely a last resort though, as it scares me...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Vin Ghostal wrote:My question is, of the Takara toys we've seen so far, which ones aren't getting released in the US? If toys like Dino, Soundwave, the re-released legends Devastator, and so on are never making here, I'll just order them from Takara. Anyone have insight on this?
Basically those are Takara exclusives and I don't see them coming out any time soon in the US. Other Takara-exclusive toys so far include Jolt (whihc Clay already mentioned), Dispensor and a bunch of G1-inspired repaints: G1 Movie Protoform Optimus, 2007 Movie decoes of deluxe class Ratchet and Starscream and the 'Black Knight' Dinobots.

I mean, Hasbro could pull another post-ROTF line like they did in 2010, but with both DOTM and AOE being relatively self-contained I don't seem them particularly bending over to release movie moulds. Maybe one or two might be sneaked out in Generations... though considering the legalities of the Movie series moulds with licensed cars I highly doubt that will happen.

For a bit of shameless self-advertising, I put together this list of Age of Extinction toys both Hasbro and Takara.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I think Hasbro are meant to be doing black and silver versions of the Dinobots as a Platinum box set with:

- Voyager Grimlock
- Voyager Slog
- Deluxe Scorn
- Deluxe Slug
- Deluxe Strafe

I think it's due out in December, but I dunno how easy it'll be to get, or exactly what they will look like. Thing is, the Dinobots weren't totally black and silver in the film, so I do like that Takara seem to be taking that onboard with their special versions, but they don't seem to be releasing film accurate versions of all of the screen Dinobots.

Also items on eBay.