Third party toy discussion (stuff that's been released)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

And today I've noticed that I've lost the damn cygar from my igear Kup head.

Tried to make the most out of it by opening him up just to check if it fell in there. Took me a good hour to put the damn torso back together [there's even a spring-loaded piece in there]. Other head looks just as good, but is noticeably wobblier on the neck post.

Contacted Kapow to check if they can offer installment payments for FT Scoria [all signs point to yes].

Overload from 3rd party products these past 2 years...
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Look on the bright side, it was an odd concept from McCarthy at best. What works in the A-Team looks a bit silly with robots.

Whilst I'm definitely intending to slow down, there are already one or two things announced that I'm interested in -- the rather awesome stab at a Warpath homage from Bad Cube being the most recent.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

Image I honestly would love to get ft-03 Quakewave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have decided to see how good some of the cheap KOs are...

Pretty good: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... lbots.html

[edit]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eC53wn81ds

[/edit]

Just ordered: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... cules.html
Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

Recently got ahold of the third in Planet X's not-Dinobot line, PX-03 Neptune (not-Sludge). First thing outta the box is CHUNK is evident. Chunk chunk chunk. Dude is chunky. He's not much taller than your average voyager, but he has a noticeable deal more of bulk. Light-piping works pretty great. Though I feel like either I've not worked out the transformation correctly, or else the tabs and slots that are meant to peg together aren't quite able to fit in place when overcoming all the mass, (the chest piece that should form the upper half of his diplodocus body can be seen not entirely locked into place from certain angles). Still, glad I have it - just two more 'til I have a full Dino team.

Though seeing as how stuff like Function-X5 MADLAW just went up for pre-order, kinda thinking maybe I should have waited on Neptune.

Also, am I the only one who kinda wants to see some group take a stab at MTMTE Megatron? Mega Steel's Granville comes close to almost realizing that, but there's something about Milne's design that I'd love to see rendered in full.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Happy enough with Hegemon, to be honest. More choice is always good though.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Inaction Master wrote:Still, glad I have it - just two more 'til I have a full Dino team.
More than I've got. Haven't fooled with any third party dinos... yet. I like the Fansproject versions the most overall I think, but I'm also interested to see the Toyworld set finished. Time will tell.

At the moment, I'm just waiting to finish out Warbotron Bruticus before starting on the UT Abominus. One group at a time works fine.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Sorry for the silence lately. Was quite ill over the festive period, with a brief hospital visit for a nasty virus, and work has been eating my time since...

I agree with Denyer: Warden does look rather gangly with the leg extensions without the tread backpack. But I always display him with his backpack, and think the proportions work fine in his über bulky robot mode. The 'small(er)' gun is really nice as well. Shame he's just more a partformer than he was before now though... Amazing robot mode, lacks transformation though (just rearranges parts). Great display piece (I don't see me taking him off my limited display area really), and I love playing around with the robot mode and Headmaster, but, yeah, not the shining light of third party figures folk make him out to be. BUT NOW HE HAS LEG GUNS!

I have also received my Terminus Hexatron Continuum. I have always wanted a Sixshot. I love what they've done with him in the IDW comics. Knightdramon and Paul053 convinced me that the MMC Hexatron was well worth a shot based on two different versions. I ended up going for the latest one, simply because this was the production model available. However, I must say if I had a choice, this is the version I would have chosen - more G1 accurate head, amazing paintwork, awesome chromed guns. And, crucially, smaller chest wings. I actually find the small chest wings do hinder poseability in robot mode, so am certain the larger ones must do as well. Still, it's not a major problem. I've transformed him into all modes without major issues. I love the simplicity and multiplicity of purpose. I love that you can tweak things to make the modes perfect for you. You know what? I just LOVE this guy!

But there are issues. I hear what people are saying about the individually articulated fingers. I quite like it myself, and think the hands are amazingly well designed, but the pin in one of mine is not inserted all the way which worries me... And the fingers are fragile for sure. But I'm not too fussed about these relatively minor problems in an adult's collector's piece. What does worry me is that both hands seem very tight with the slots, and I find it very difficult to get them out again after transformations. I also find the legs rather fiddly to transform because of those wee panels on the inside of the leg.

Small head though? Yeah, if you compare with a person. If you compare with other Transformers? Nope. It's equivalent in proportion to Generations Roadbuster's head, and way better than Year of the Snake Omega Supreme...

Still, the fact of the matter is, if Hasbro or Takara produced this mould I would be praising it to the mountains. That a third party company made this, and sells it at a price comparable to official Masterpiece figures? That is amazing. Terminus Hexatron is the shining light of third party figures, and I love the Continuum version with all it's glossy paint and blocky head.

I am so chuffed to finally own the Sixshot of my dreams! :D

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I find myself tempted by MMC Feral Rex. It's probably a pipe dream. But, is he worth it (£370 GBP)? How does he stack up scale-wise / next to other figures? Is the build quality good?

I have to admit I am very impressed by MMC Terminus Hexatron Continuum.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Got a couple of them (Bovis and Leo Dux, plus Felisaber coming soon-ish) and they're big, chunky and well-made. Not really into Predaking but the connecting ports seem solid. For 5 (or 6 if you go for Catilla too) Masterpiece type figures, the pricing isn't too bad. Better value than MakeToys, anyway.

Would suggest picking one you like the most and see what you think.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sonicron... objectively, I'd have to agree with reviews that say the execution is rubbish. Flash needs to be shaved off to get some parts to sit properly, and others don't clutch together well. You also need to remove the cassette spools to get most cassettes to stay flush inside, and even at the marked down price these now go for it's only just about worth it.

But borrowing the Guido design was a great choice, and he'll be spending most time in recorder mode with KFC Badbat and the alt head. Prefer him to the Music Label design.

http://www.3bstoyhive.com/2012/04/bts-s ... eview.html

Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

numbat wrote:I find myself tempted by MMC Feral Rex. It's probably a pipe dream. But, is he worth it (£370 GBP)? How does he stack up scale-wise / next to other figures? Is the build quality good?

I have to admit I am very impressed by MMC Terminus Hexatron Continuum.
I have Talon [and the black hexatron] so far, and they seem to be just fine. Talon is very reminiscent of Cybertron/Galaxy Force voyagers---chunky, weighs comfortably enough for a figure of his size, has got a rather simple transformation, very decent poseability and is loaded with ratchet joints.

I've also handled Denyer's Leo Dux and briefly Bovis [we even "mock combined" the three of them at AA last year]. Of the three I liked Talon and Dux more than Bovis [he's lighter and somewhat smaller than the other two].

I've tried [and failed] to slowly collect them all, but they appear to be a solid effort.

The cash for each is a lot, although if you shop around you can find bargains for some of them, but they are still cheaper than other 3rd party products and frankly, offer better bang for buck ratio than almost every other 3rd party product out at the moment.

Scale-wise they do not look off, they are voyager+ sized.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote:I find myself tempted by MMC Feral Rex. It's probably a pipe dream. But, is he worth it (£370 GBP)? How does he stack up scale-wise / next to other figures? Is the build quality good?
He's a collection showpiece, and good fun. Not two traits that usually coincide. I spent a good month after completing the set just reconfiguring the lot in the various modes (though that has now stopped as the shelf that they're on is too crammed to leave them in anything other than the combined mode).

What figures do you want pictures of him with?
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:What figures do you want pictures of him with?
If just one, it would be good to see him next to the Classics Seeker mould. MP Prime would be another good comparison if you have him to hand. Thanks!

Also how big are the individual Predacons?

I've always loved Predaking's combined mode but had originally discounted Feral Rex due to cost. Given how great MMC Hexatron is, and how few official Transformers appeal this year (really don't like the Combiner Wars aesthetic), I'm giving it some serious consideration.

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote:If just one, it would be good to see him next to the Classics Seeker mould. MP Prime would be another good comparison if you have him to hand. Thanks!

Also how big are the individual Predacons?

I've always loved Predaking's combined mode but had originally discounted Feral Rex due to cost. Given how great MMC Hexatron is, and how few official Transformers appeal this year (really don't like the Combiner Wars aesthetic), I'm giving it some serious consideration.
I would say that the four limbs are Voyager sized (with Tantrum and Headstrong being slightly bigger than Divebomb and Rampage) and Razorclaw is Ultra sized, but as the figures in those size classes gradually shrink, it's a slippery comparison. They're all big and heavy, if that helps. I'll echo what Knightdramon said. Get the one you like the best and see what you think. If you decide to pass, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it a home. If you do decide to pursue them, I'd say take your time... the production runs aren't going to evaporate any time soon.

Common complaint about the combined mode is the difficulty in posing it, but I attribute that to the user instead of the figure. If you understand the concept of center of mass, you'll be fine.

I know I posted a bunch of pictures in this thread back when I first completed the set, so scroll back and see if any of those help. :)

ImageImageImageImage
numbat

Post by numbat »

Thanks Clay. He looks perfect next to the Seekers and that photo next to Omega Supreme totally sold it. I'll need to consider carefully and could be vetoed by my wife, but I'm certainly gonna look into getting him in earnest.

I've read about poseability complaints but figured it's people who struggle with centre of gravity as you say, or simply unrealistic expectations. The photos I've seen show a range of poses beyond what I would hope for for a combiner, let alone at that scale.

I am missing a birthday present from last year and Christmas the year before. Wonder if my wife would 'buy' that...

:)

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, I looked back at the pictures earlier in the thread and found him doing a Flying Crane, so I'd say he's pretty stable. The range of motion in the wings provides great counterbalance for most of the poses I tried.

Good luck on the tough sell to the wife!

Anyway, I was fiddling around with Genesis a few weeks ago, getting him to hold things. I thought I had posted the pictures, but after looking back through the thread for the Feral Rex pictures, I guess not!

ImageImageImageImageImage
numbat

Post by numbat »

Seems like it might all be academic anyway. Can't find anywhere that still stocks the lot...

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

**** knows what they'll go for, but there's someone (private seller) in the UK selling four of the five as normal auctions at the moment;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/vinceviper81/m.html

Overseas, some reasonable prices left in China;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ ... 9&_sacat=0

Bovis is likely to be a bit trickier to pin down, at a guess. If they were produced in roughly equal numbers there'll probably be a lot of people such as myself who bought as a standalone or started with the intention of getting the set and didn't follow through.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Nah, you'll have to go for them separately.

My opinion? Spread them out. I've had Talon and just Talon since August and he's a blast individually. They each have so much personality that it'd be a true bummer to get them all at once and rush through to combine them.

As far as I can tell, Masterforce is the only UK retailer at the moment with a [single] Leo Dux [loose, complete], Tigris is around in abundance, Fortis [the rhino] is still in stock at KAPOW, Felisabre sticks around [not even in stock yet], and Talon alongside Bovis are MIA, but can be sourced from abroad.

Plus, as people [like me and Denyer] only got some from the set, if you get a couple and you don't really fancy them, they'd be somewhat easier to sell off than as a lot for 350+ pounds.

:up: