OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Re: New/upcoming toys and merchandise thread -beginning Feb. 2019

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm I'm starting another thread because I can no longer keep track of which releases are Hasbro or Takara only, which ones are the same for both companies, and which ones would be the same but only get released here or there. Besides, we can order everything online nowadays, so geographical distinctions aren't what they used to be anyway.
I'd suggest merging the two threads that have been open for half a decade then, rather than leaving them existing with years of search engine indexing attached.
Denyer

Re: New/upcoming toys and merchandise thread -beginning Feb. 2019

Post by Denyer »

Star Convoy might be a purchase, it's weird how much early-days-of-teh-intarwebs nostalgia can attach to something that didn't even get a release or mention in Western media.

The MP Bee V1 KOs are pretty nice quality, can't really tell much difference from the official one I got. Shame nobody seems to have taken the initiative to do Glyph from it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Official Transformers new/upcoming releases! Hasbro, TakaraTomy and more

Post by Skyquake87 »

Star Convoy looks nifty. As does Armada Prime. Some many Optimus figures in Siege! Now, where's the Energon update...? :P
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 pm I'd suggest merging the two threads that have been open for half a decade then, rather than leaving them existing with years of search engine indexing attached.
That works too :up:

Skyquake87 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm Star Convoy looks nifty. As does Armada Prime. Some many Optimus figures in Siege! Now, where's the Energon update...? :P
I actually like both of the Energon Prime figures as-is. :)

As for updating it? Not sure... it'd have to be a leader figure to have his drones for the super mode. Or, they'd have to make Wing Saber at the same time. Maybe they'd make the drones have their own robot modes like they've done for Brunt?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Might be cool if they did a CW type thing for Energon Prime. But not using that CW Prime / Motormaster body. I could go with drones with no robot modes, if they had some pop out weapon features or something.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If you look at pics of Energon Prime and CW Prime's combined modes side-by-side, you'll actually see a lot of similarities in the torso details. I think that was supposed to be their Energon homage, only no one noticed because they didn't bother painting any of the details on the CW one.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Springer, Red Alert, Galaxy Prime and Thundercracker.

I think Springer is the only one of the batch that's really "news", but I'm not sure we've seen official renders of Thundercracker either. This Springer seems like a really solid take on the character, assuming the car mode isn't a joke. At first glance, I'm definitely more taken with this boxy, traditional Springer than the lanky Voyager from a few years ago, as much fun as that one is.

I've also heard rumours about things like G2 Sideswipe, Slamdance, Wingthing and Scorpulator, but I'm taking those with a huge grain of salt until we see pics.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 pm If you look at pics of Energon Prime and CW Prime's combined modes side-by-side, you'll actually see a lot of similarities in the torso details. I think that was supposed to be their Energon homage, only no one noticed because they didn't bother painting any of the details on the CW one.
I remember that now... the Takara version played it up more. Still, that doesn't mean that wouldn't come back to Energon in the next line or two.

Has the dust settled from the toyfair reveals? Only super-new thing I noticed from the Takara show is the G2 deco Megatron. And apparently hasbro are intending to release Masterpiece Convoy3, Bumblebee2, Cartoon Wheeljack, and BW Megatron.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think they managed to leak most of it in the week before the show. Kinda anti-climactic. :(

There was the minotaur Battlmaster guy towards the start of these pics, the Ghostbusters crossover and whatever this 35th anniversary thing will turn out to be. But the bulk of the new stuff was already making the rounds before the show.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm quite excited for MP Blackarachnia :)

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/09/bla ... pan-382419
Clay

Post by Clay »

Aye. And I just had the thought that, whenever they get around to a masterpiece waspinator, I'll probably buy it no matter what they charge.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Clay wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 pm Aye. And I just had the thought that, whenever they get around to a masterpiece waspinator, I'll probably buy it no matter what they charge.
Here's the thing, do you get the initial release or the eventual V2 when they figure out the engineering required to make him cube-able?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Devastator!

Big, clear image, plus confirmation of the size of the remaining figures. Mixmaster and Scrapper are voyagers, while Overload and Scavenger are both leader class.

He's gonna be a big boy. :o
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Probably the last of Siege? If hey stick with it being the same length as POTP, anyway.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/03/03/war ... ers-384409

Nothing super impressive for me. Barricade looks like a pre-use of a Smokescreen head, Blackjack and Hyperdrive are straightforward redecos of Roadhandler and Swindler, and the Off Road Patrol (probably my favourite Micromasters :( ) are a complete swing-and-miss. Why even make new molds that don't look anything like the characters they're meant to be?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

None of the Micromasters have looked particularly great to me. Barricade looks a bit odd, but then I think that's a mold I'd really need to see in the flesh. It looks so weird and smooth, like a pebble.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The Air Strike Patrol is nice! But mostly I agree with you. I don't have any of the others so far, and the ones I've seen in store don't look quite so appealing. Though I wonder if that's nostalgia talking, since the Air Strike Patrol (along with the Rescue Patrol) are the ones I have the most memories of playing with as a kid. And I'll definitely go out of my way to get the Rescue Patrol when they come out in spite of it consisting of a retooled Battle Patrol guy and a car mold that's pretty much indistinguishable from Roadhandler.

I totally agree that the Prowl/Barricade mold looks really weird as a 3D render, and I think you're right that the smoothness is why. I don't remember if I've seen any real-life pictures of it so far.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I love my original Micormasters and I just feel it's a bit of shame that they're glorified Targetmasters this time around. Cramming a weapon mode into these smaller Transformers didn't work out so well during Armada and hasn't been improved upon here. The modern poseability is a bonus, I suppose. I dunno, The price on the smaller Siege figures is lousy too. Two 2" figures for between £10 - £17 over here doesn't strike me as good value. It's a moot point anyway as I've not seen them at retail to properly have a look at them and see if they're any better in hand.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Some licensed dolls of G1 Prime and Megatron , but this bit:
Another exciting addition to the catalog are the first screen-accurate Transformers from the original Generation One cartoons—because they don't transform. For companies like Hasbro, the transformation is the whole point of the line, but that comes at the cost of accuracy. "By the nature of that toy physically having to transform," Flynn says, "you’re only going to get 85 to 90 percent screen accurate because you have to put the mechanisms in.”
This bit makes me :nonono:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Star Convoy pictures

Also silhouetted are, apparently, some flavor of Megatron and maybe Snaptrap.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Another exciting addition to the catalog are the first screen-accurate Transformers from the original Generation One cartoons—because they don't transform.
Transformers often transform on screen. If the toys don't transform, that's not screen-accurate.