OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Re: Official Transformers new/upcoming releases! Hasbro, TakaraTomy and more

Post by Clay »

Various sites have posted pictures of WFC gray Shockwave (Shackwave?), as well as another Orthia/Elita Infinite combiner limb.

More interestingly, they've posted rumors/solicits for SDCC reveals (which is next week, I think?). No specific characters mentioned, but it says that SDCC will show off the next Titan and Commander class figures. I'd reckon Scorponok for the titan, but what could the commander class figure be?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Star Saber or Sky Lynx as the Commander, maybe? I wish they'd do Scorponok at that size but yeah, he's probably the Titan.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Well...this sure is a giant Unicron.

Any takers? Only $574.99!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Looks good, glad it exists, but I can see various 3P companies getting on the bandwagon and catering to those that don't have the space / aren't inclined to pay a premium (that's way more than a Metroplex or Fort Max and not way, way bigger).
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It weighs 19 pounds, apparently. I'm assuming that explains some of the cost difference vs. the retail Titans. I've never bought one but I don't remember the boxes weighing as much as a small child when I looked them over in stores.

I'm right with you, though. "Looks good, glad it exists"...but a hard pass. This is amazing but I don't even have room to display the old 18 inch or so Unicron.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:31 pm(that's way more than a Metroplex or Fort Max and not way, way bigger).
But much, much heavier.

Makes me curious. BRB
Clay

Post by Clay »

Found the scales! Titan Metroplex, at 22" tall, only weighs a whopping 5 and 3/4's pounds, meaning Unicron easily weighs over three times as much.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ah, so it's basically solid. Something that if memory serves makes production more difficult and prone to flaws, for not huge benefit once weight-bearing needs are met. 8.5Kg... although it probably won't feel quite as heavy spread over that frame. Suppose it emphasises "not a toy" as well.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Man, if I had that $575 to put up for it...

And this reminds me that I still haven't tracked down one of those Hard Hero statues from the 2002 Botcon
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Some new things from SDCC!

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... led/43594/

I don't recognize all the Micromasters in the 10-pack, but I think I see Groundshaker, Ironworks, maybe Hot House and Wheelblaze? Perhaps the white Stakeout is Holi? Curious for more info on this set, though I probably won't get it. Surprised that they repainted the jets twice instead of the cars or Ravage and Laserbeak.

Leader Astrotrain looks to be a Voyager-sized figure with a mini rocket base of sorts. He's also hanging out with Direct Hit and Power Punch, two Micromasters I definitely wasn't expecting.

Spinister looks really slick. Apeface is pretty solid too, but the lack of a waist swivel is going to be a bummer when it comes to poseability.

I'm not sure who the orange guy is. Wrong? Rang? Ring? Certainly wasn't expecting to see him, but I'm sure I'll forget him as soon as I scroll down to the next pic...

Crosshairs also seems like a solid update of the original. Surprised that he works so well, honestly. I think I like him on that body more than Ironhide.

Ratbat is adorable! Rumble is kinda nostalgically stumpy.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Lots of neat stuff. They should be able to get a few slightly modified uses out of that MM combiner.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Warcry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 pm Rumble is kinda nostalgically stumpy.
That's Frenzy goddamnit!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It probably is, actually! Since they're basing this line pretty heavily on the cartoon.

TBH they're both "Rumble" to me because Frenzy is just an absolute non-entity in every way.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Toy-based Reflector.

As someone who owned the original as a kid, I was very excited when rumours of this started to make the rounds. But this...this is so disappointing. :( No new heads or other retooling, just a few add-on bits slapped on. The colours aren't even close to right. It sucks to see this level of half-assery on one of the line's few original toy homages. Especially when the cartoon homages (like that Rainmaker set) have been slavishly accurate to the point of making the actual product less appealing.

So that's $100 I can spend on better stuff, I guess.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I also owned G1 Reflector, and was looking forward to the toy-based deco. I like the looks of the individual bots, and even find the spaceships OK. But the camera mode is awful, especially the asymmetrical color scheme. The original toy was 3 distinct looking robots coming together to form a cohesive whole. I guess you can't pull that off with the end bots having the same transformation scheme.

Bluestreak looks nice, though, and appears to be a Walmart exclusive, so I might even be able to find him in a store someday.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I quite like the Reflector in toy colours. The patchwork camera kind of appeals to me. Also like the look of Soundblaster. I know its just Soundwave with bigger boobs and an emo colourscheme, but this at least feels a tiny bit fresher than another Soundwave toy. For me at least, the MP Soundwave has made any regular releases pretty redundant. I've still to pick up any of the Siege Micromasters (they've been non-existent at retail around me and online prices are off putting) so I dunno what to make of them. Nice they exist, I guess but I still have a huge soft spot for the originals so I don't know that knees and questionable weapon modes are enough of a sell for me. Everything else I like is stuff we've seen before Apeface, Crosshairs and Spinister. All in all, some good stuff!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Also, the other two dino cassettes are getting reissued. Together with those two different Bumblebee garage sets from last year, we've actually got some of the rarest and most expensive G1 toys on the secondary market made available again, and reasonably cheaply.

I wonder if Takara will dust off Encore and kick out a four pack?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Definitely going to be tempted by Graphy & Noise. Objectively not great toys but a lot of 90s-internet nostalgia.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ooh Cassettes... that's cool. Although why's poor old Frenzy on his own?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's all on the same joined card (one has the barcode) for some reason, a battle pack of three pieces but it's two cassettes = 1 robot vs 1 robot. Would assume it's targeting an existing price point and they weren't prepared to include another cassette.