I'm so pissed off right now.

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Hound

I'm so pissed off right now.

Post by Hound »

I finally talked Sades into letting me buy Combiner Wars Devastator. All I was waiting for was our money to get deposited into our bank acct tonight.

I was going to buy it from Walmart's website and went to check it this morning just to make sure they still had it and when I looked it turned out that it was marked down to $89.96. I got very excited because that's about half what I was expecting to pay for it. I just had to wait til tonight for the money to be available.

The money is finally deposited and I go to the website to get it and it was sold out.

I did find it for $179.99 on Amazon, and I bought it, cause it was about what I had been expecting to pay but it just pisses me off that such a great deal slipped out of my grasp by about 10 hours.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

That's a shame. $90 is probably about right value-wise.

Maybe a shade too expensive.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That works out great, then! With the exchange rate tanking, by the time the package arrives the $179.99 Canadian he spent will probably only be worth about $90 US anyway.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Oh wait that was Canadian dollars.

Not a whole lot of creativity going on in the North American currency naming stakes, is there?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Says the man whose national currency is named after how much silver it used to be worth? At least our money isn't called the "paperectangle" or something similarly silly...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:Says the man whose national currency is named after how much silver it used to be worth?
Yes. Basically. Like your currency used to be.

In terms of indicating value, how is that less sensible than a name derived from a specific mine they used to get silver from?

You could have called your currency anything you wanted when you switched from a sensible name for it, but no, you let your desire to be like the Americans sway your judgement.
At least our money isn't called the "paperectangle" or something similarly silly...
Is a rectangle of paper the size of a Canadian five dollar bill worth more or less than an actual Canadian five dollar bill? Just curious.

BUT WE DIGRESS. When does Hound get his Devastator?

I need to know when to expect him to pretend he's not massively disappointed by it.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:You could have called your currency anything you wanted when you switched from a sensible name for it, but no, you let your desire to be like the Americans sway your judgement.
No, we called our money "dollars" because you lot and the French were both too lazy to bring enough coins across the ocean and tried to convince us to use playing cards as currency (and then banned it, and then reinstated it...), so imported Spanish and later American dollars were more common in the colonial days than actual legal tender. Is it any wonder we wanted to align our currency with the type of money that we actually had some of?

I think we had a "Canadian Pound" for a decade or two in the 1800s, though.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Is a rectangle of paper the size of a Canadian five dollar bill worth more or less than an actual Canadian five dollar bill? Just curious.
Currently the money has a narrow lead, but check again next week. :(

Stupid oil-dependent economy, and stupid Saudis tanking the global oil price...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Next thursday apparently. I'm very excited...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I need to know when to expect him to pretend he's not massively disappointed by it.
Ha!

That ****er is expensive. He's not allowed to be disappointed by it.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I assumed Candians just traded furs for currency.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clay

Post by Clay »

I don't get it. If you know that it's been marked down 50% before, why not just wait for it to go on sale again? Also, why get after other people here who have already bought it have said it's a bit pants? Why not just buy a used one? Why not just get two figures of that third party Liokaiser instead? Why not just
Hound

Post by Hound »

Why not just?

I'm not sure it was on sale. the listing doesn't say it was a sale price.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/transformer ... 0193258501

I feel like it was marked down to clear out the inventory that didn't move during the holidays and I'm reasonably certain that it won't ever come back in stock or that when it does it won't be for that price again.

That and I'm not going to wait for the off chance that it might some day go on sale again maybe...

As for the quality of the figure, I'm not so convinced it is bad. Every video review I've seen of it just makes me want it more. It looks fantastic in my opinion.

Besides why can't I get the TFC Hades figures too?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Hound wrote:As for the quality of the figure, I'm not so convinced it is bad. Every video review I've seen of it just makes me want it more. It looks fantastic in my opinion.
He's already in denial. This is going to be amazing.
Besides why can't I get the TFC Hades figures too?
Because it'll cost a gazillionty times more than Devastator and your wife only just about let you buy that?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

This thread is amazing.

Transformers being so awesome right now is why I'm buying Lego. At least if the sets aren't up to much, I can build them into something else that I like. I haven't found out how to do that with Transformers without turning them into a shattered mess of further disappointment or melty blobs of noxious goo. Which is kind of cool, but not really what I'm looking for in a Transforming robot toy.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Because it'll cost a gazillionty times more than Devastator and your wife only just about let you buy that?
You have a point, but c'mon I managed to charm my way into getting Devastator who's to say I can't manage to get her to let me get the Hades figures too? It would help if two of them hadn't been released at the same time though... :glance:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Hound wrote:Why not just?

I'm not sure it was on sale. the listing doesn't say it was a sale price.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/transformer ... 0193258501

I feel like it was marked down to clear out the inventory that didn't move during the holidays and I'm reasonably certain that it won't ever come back in stock or that when it does it won't be for that price again.

That and I'm not going to wait for the off chance that it might some day go on sale again maybe...
There's no off chance about it, dude. The thing's a turkey and takes up too much inventory space. BBTS already has it on markdown and I remember TFSource having a one day sale after Christmas for $100 to get rid of the things. Just wait for the "new" to wear off and you can grab an opened set for $50 six months from now, tops.

I mean, I still kind of want the Unite Warriors version, but I'm content to wait for numbat or Brendocon to get bored with theirs first rather than grabbing the thing at retail price.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I suppose I should also say, [deep breath] if it makes you happy...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

And other Sheryl Crow songs.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Well I love Devastator, he's a great toy and I'm so grateful to Hasbro for making this a mass-market release.

The individual figures are a little hollow, and there have been some aesthetic compromises made with regards to Long Haul and Mixmaster, but otherwise this thing is a beaut.

Individually the headsculpts are spot-on to the cartoon and full of character, and while articulation is a bit lacking (especially in the CW version), combined mode more than makes up for the flaws in the individual figures.

He's chunky, fun to transform, playable, durable and he totally nails the Devastator look. Anyone expecting masterpiece levels of engineering and articulation is going to be disappointed, but if you go in your with an open mind you'll be rewarded.

I love it so much I have three (CW, UW and SDCC Bling-astator).
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
Sades

Post by Sades »

Eh, he'll be fine. He tends to suffer very little buyer's remorse when it comes to toys.
Hound wrote:I managed to charm my way into getting Devastator
:lol:
who's to say I can't manage to get her to let me get the Hades figures too?
You're a funny man. Sooooo funny. :p
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!