Premature MTMTE Season 2 discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Terome

Premature MTMTE Season 2 discussion

Post by Terome »

Dark Cybertron's still got another month left in it but statements have been said and educated guesses can be made about what is to come once the comics get back to normal. Maybe we can talk about that while we wait patiently?

What we know so far is:

A prominent Autobot is in for the chop (possibly Rodimus)
Megatron will be on, and possibly leading, the Lost Light
Cross-pollination between the casts of MTMTE and RID will occur
We have a bunch of new characters now
In addition to the likes of Crosscut and Tankor, several new toys have been announced (Gears, Brainstorm, Sky-Byte, Jetfire, etc) that may come with nudges from Hasbro
We haven't yet seen 'The Coffin' or 'For the sake of Cybertron itself don't...'
Roberts has an escape plan in mind, is keen to lay the plot on thick and wants to raise his profile to the point where he can attract other projects.

Thoughts? Predictions? Hopes? Fears? Cast line-ups?

I, for one, think that Hasbro's big push with Dark Cybertron will not be the last of the intrusions. I'd also really like Nick Roche to be writing RID. And as much as I like Whirl and Cyclonus, I'd like them to take a back seat for now. And no secret origins for Rung! He's good as a peculiarity.

Oh, and would Waspinator work on the Lost Light? We can probably bet on more Decepticons and I am trying to think of suitable candidates.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Hmmm...there are big, wavy signs that Rodimus *might* bite it soon...

The fact that Megatron will be on board the Lost Light changes many things. First off, he's shown with an Autobot symbol and somewhere my eye caught a "rise of the autobots" subtitle. Which, in my mind's translation, means that all cybertronians will be branded Autobots.

Seeing as Roberts wants to realistically end S2 around issue 50...

We're going to have the last part of the pre-war Cybertron trilogy. The one where you'll all see that Tarn is Roller. Which will probably be in conjunction with the return of the DJD.

We'll have a storyline about Brainstorm's suitcase and the green spark. I must be the only person in the fandom who honestly doesn't give a damn about his suitcase, but it could be exciting :D

The rest I can't really speculate upon. We don't even know who the cast will be, with the odd exception of Megatron.

Onto hopes, I honestly hope this carries on for a good while. It's a rare thing to have such a good TF series around, and a writer who's actually more passionate about the subject than the paycheck. There will probably be another "new readers reset" some years down the line, but this series will go on to be legendary.

This is the BW of 2010+ :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Knightdramon wrote:Hmmm...there are big, wavy signs that Rodimus *might* bite it soon...
Yeah, things are pointing that way. Might be a red herring. He's a useful character to have around and I liked how he was played in MTMTE. We'll see.
We're going to have the last part of the pre-war Cybertron trilogy. The one where you'll all see that Tarn is Roller. Which will probably be in conjunction with the return of the DJD.
Oh yes, I remember that being mentioned - the capper to Shadowplay and that other one. I am against Roller being Tarn on the basis that you can only really do one 'faceless bad guy is revealed to have been a good guy with a face you knew' plot per series.
We'll have a storyline about Brainstorm's suitcase and the green spark. I must be the only person in the fandom who honestly doesn't give a damn about his suitcase, but it could be exciting :D
Yeah, I think the briefcase joke has been played out. It'll be good for one tight corner and then Brainstorm can come out from under its shade.
The rest I can't really speculate upon. We don't even know who the cast will be, with the odd exception of Megatron.
I think we can count on Swerve and Tailgate at the very least. Anyone who is not appearing in Dark Cybertron can be assumed to survive. Hound might be rising to the surface too. We might get at least one Dinobot and I bet my boots that Nautica ends up on board. I wouldn't bet against Bumblebee making the jump either. He could do with a change of scenery.
Onto hopes, I honestly hope this carries on for a good while. It's a rare thing to have such a good TF series around, and a writer who's actually more passionate about the subject than the paycheck. There will probably be another "new readers reset" some years down the line, but this series will go on to be legendary.
It can't last forever but I hope it at least makes it to its #50 and #100 milestones. I'd like to see Roberts make an indelible mark on the franchise rather than being its latest flavour. To think, in 2030, he might be able to enjoy the uneasy feeling of seeing Swerve advertising a billion dollar movie on a giant billboard in Times Square without receiving a dime for it. Though maybe the turnaround will be quicker - Guido Guidi and Shane MacCarthy will have that feeling in just a few months.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Well I'm glad this is happening:

Terome

Post by Terome »

Additionally, something that sounds like a death-knell ringing, far away:

A BWTF interview with folks from the Hasbro Brand Team or some such.

Here's the sad part:

"Recently the "Transformers Legends" mobile game offered synergy between the toy line and comic book. Now dinosaurs are a theme in "Rescue Bots" and "Age of Extinction". Can we expect to see more of this cross-media alignment in the future?

JJ: Yes, I think what you'll see more of is themes and storylines that will go across toy lines where they're meant for the age target to make sure that we're maximizing the story. That way we can make sure we're not telling a lot of different stories...that way we're telling one story across different expressions and outlets. I think you're going to see more of that going forward whether it's in our main entertainment, whether it's movie or TV or even in "Generations" where you're seeing leveraging IDW or DeNA with the "Transformers" game making sure hey, we're all telling the same story. "
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hopefully by now someone's nailed the dickheads down to stop them straying from the marketing offices.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Christ alive. Reminds me of an email from Head Office I once read whilst supervising a pub. It was from the new MD of the company and had words to the effect of: "When a customer walks into a Greene King pub, we want them to have an identical experience no matter where it is."
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Yeah, that sounds worrying. I could see a certain logic in creating a unified Transformers brand (though that's not really my bag), but trying to coordinate the stories across all medium so as to kill any variety in the storytelling just seems meh. Because everyone would rather just have the same story told over and over again rather than lots of different stories right?

More cheerful:

In terms of what I'd expect from MTMTE 2 in one word: Impactor. To disagree with what Terome said in another thread recently where he mentioned not being able to see what Impactor could bring to the table, I personally think having Megatron's pre-war BFF onboard in what may be the first time the two of them have been in the same room without automatically trying to kill each other is just so full of potential it's hard to see how it won't happen.

Espcially as the other two non-Pax characters who shaped Megatron's future on that fateful day, Whirl and Rung, are already on the ship. That'd be a hell of a four way reunion.

What's going to be interesting about Megatron and Whirl is that the more obvious character dynamic- "I've got to play nice for now but sooner or later you're dead"- had already been done with Cyclonus and Whirl, so it's going to have to work that little bit harder to come up with something fresh.

Also, on a personal note, with the comic having sadly avoided it for the two years he went by that name I hope the third part of the Chaos Theory trilogy will having Orion use the "I'm the PAX collector!" one liner.

I've missed Roberts talking about having an exit strategy (was it in the big interview Denyer posted the link to the other day?), but it's understandable I suppose. As someone who has always firmly believed that very few writers can work indefinitely for a series they didn't create before burning out (Chris Claremont being the classic comics example, but lets face it, Furman falls into that as well), I'd rather have-ideally- three or four good years and then a fond farewell than decades of work that get gradually worse and worse as time goes on.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

To be honest, I doubt either Megatron or Impactor would remember Rung. Almost nobody remembers the poor guy.

To add up...storylines that were left hanging/unexplored in S1 [not that they'll necessarily pop up, just saying]

--The Necrobot thing. Is it indeed cataloging dead victims? Or is it something completely different that just coincides?
--Scavengers and Grimlock. They'll probably get their own saga again. Possibly uncovering something long lost and dwelling more into the Primal Vanguard story, helping Grimlock remember
--Rung's past.
--Skid's actual past. Before the mission. His ties to the DJD, if any
--DJD. Could either work as allies [with Megatron on board] or uber villains against a leader who forgot his way.
--Tyrest and Star Saber, plus their bot behind the scenes, IF any.
--Autobot phase sixer quest. I thought this was going to be Fortress Maximus, but he's left.
--The green super spark of Brainstorm's holding. Plus, his...suitcase.
--Drift. Maybe in conjunction with the DJD.
--The sequel to Shadowplay, as promised.
--The whole deal with "paradise", the tentacles, pharma's body, etc etc
--Galactic Council
--Overlord and whatever's left of Rewind. Could be in conjunction with the DJD.
--The coffin, and the future of the cybertronian race. Though to be technical, these should have been resolved before the crossover. Otherwise why try to send a message before the LL left, if these things haven't happened yet it returns once again in DC?

Have I forgotten anything?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Roberts exit strategy is linked in with this thread http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... adid=52321

He says that he is planned up for issue 50 but if things get cut short he has an option to tie things up in a few issues if needed. Hope we never see that though.

Regarding the message - we havent seen it being sent and it could have been from the future of the second voyage of the lost light. Obviously we havent seen the coffin and the "for the sake of" bit but it is possible that we havent seen what we thought of the others.

Dont look in the basement would seem to be overlord and he could well resurface further on - it also lead to several deaths. But the others I'm not so sure.

Dont go to delphi? Why not the first time? They sorted out Pharma, cured the virus, no-one died (other than the other prowl) and it brought Max and first aid onboard. Unless a second trip there results in some major casualties in a battle with the DJD (think about it - Megs leads the Lost light there to recruit his loyal DJD only for them to turn on him and see him as the ultimate traitor against his own ideals)

Dont take Skids? Again, nothing major bad happened there in regards to Tyrest but it could refer to the other dimension. They seemed linked to skids and that could be where his arc ultimately goes. Or even if he is captured by someone who wants to learn about the other dimension.

I cant wait for season 2 of Roberts work and I hope Hasbro leave him and Barber alone. It baffles my mind that Hasbro think its best if everything is samey-samey. Surely you want different versions of Transformers in all media to broaden markets you can hit - movie verse for general public, cartoons like prime for kids, g1 throwback cartoons for adult collectors gives you three distinct toylines. Fair enough to have characters be a little consistent through out the line but if they have different toy lines they surely have more appeal for collectors where as a streamlined range means many people will collect less.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

It seems a little daft since Transformers has managed with multiple continuities since its inception.
SMITH
Terome

Post by Terome »

Peace through tyranny.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

When will Hasbro lay down their fusion cannon???
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Everything is fodder.
SMITH
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

The way the brand team response thing reads to me is that the things aimed at a particular "age target" will try to have an overarching theme. Like the kids' show, mobile games, etc. being tied together while the Generations toyline (which they now seem to view as a line for older fans) gets tied in more with the IDW comics, as seen with the pack-ins, new toy character shoehorning, and such.

Ok, if that cover is an actual indication Megatron and Tailgate will interact, then I can't wait for this to start. Should be some fun stuff.

Aside from this whole 'Megatron on the Lost Light' thing and all the story that would be tied in with that, I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is the Point-One-Percenter spark Brainstorm has. I'm dying to find out who it's going to end up being (assuming it actually becomes a character and doesn't fail or get destroyed somehow). I'm assuming we'd have to be digging into Japanese characters to find a powerhouse who hasn't shown up yet, unless it's going to be either some late G1 nobody who's yet to show up or a brand new character. I'm thinking Grand/Brave Maximus because of the schematics in Brainstorm's lab at one point, given the way Roberts does things I'm betting that was a hint to something. That or Quickswitch, because when the hell has he ever been used.

I'm also curious about whether it'll be made as a Phase Sixer, given that Chromedome has the knowledge from his reads on Overlord. Though given Overlord's knowledge of mnemosurgery and Chromedome's apparent surprise that he remembered the event, I have to wonder if he faked it. Unlikely, but random theory.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Terome wrote: Thoughts? Predictions? Hopes? Fears? Cast line-ups?
1986 Minibot with quirky personality will feature heavily, you will all pay three or four times retail for its' poorly-manufactured Generations equivalent. With sexy results. Maybe Hubcap starting a brothel with Vortex next door to Ultra Magnus' office. With sexy results. Said brothel will have a mysterious secret buried under it which will be faintly underwhelming (i.e. Ramjet) and quickly forgotten about while the focus switches to Override only having one foot. With sexy results.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Cliffjumper wrote:1986 Minibot with quirky personality will feature heavily, you will all pay three or four times retail for its' poorly-manufactured Generations equivalent. With sexy results. Maybe Hubcap starting a brothel with Vortex next door to Ultra Magnus' office. With sexy results. Said brothel will have a mysterious secret buried under it which will be faintly underwhelming (i.e. Ramjet) and quickly forgotten about while the focus switches to Override only having one foot. With sexy results.
Shall we open up a board pool on how close the result is to this prediction?
inflatable dalek

I'll take good bets on something terrible happening to Cliffjumper in the background of one panel before the year is out.

Personally, I'm all in favour of sexy results. We've had too many unsexy Transformers comics, MTMTE having slapped on the brut and gone out on the pull hard is exactly what the series needed.

Though I am not saying I am in any way aroused by MTMTE and anyone who claims other is a liar.

Hmm, Whichever book he ends up in I guess we can put a reasonable guess on Jetfire getting better from having died and coming back in a much larger, voyager sized body. Just a hunch.

EDIT: RE Megatron/Rung... I think it'd be entirely in keeping with the "Champion of the little people" thing the comic seems to be pushing as the angle by which they're going to make it seem plausible for Megatron to become an Autobot that he'd be the one guy who does remember Rung.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

When did Jetfire die?
SMITH
inflatable dalek

IIRC when the Decepticons raided the prison to free Megatron in the Prowlestator arc in RID. Though it most likely will turn out to be just a flesh wound now.