[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Clogs

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by Clogs »

I’ve honestly not bought any new games since I started playing World of Warcraft at the very end of the Draenor storyline, so this is a bit of a fake post... But I just wanted to ask if anyone is playing Shadowlands? It’d be nice to find out if there’s anyone with toons on Madoran/Dawnbringer who’d consider friending-up and going to kill some stuffs :wave:

For the record, my main is a Vengeance DH. I’m not sure I’ll ever M+ as I’m really a filthy casual, but I do swing a pretty mean warglaive, if I say so myself.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Pachi Pachi on a Roll: Under normal circumstances, I probably would have given this game a pass. Unfortunately, getting physical games for my Vita is getting harder, what with Sony announcing that they’re going to stop making carts in the Asian market, which was the last place they were making them. So I got a pachinko game for the Vita from PlayAsia. And you get a limited edition box, soundtrack, and my copy is 850 of 1000.

Eh. Collecting games isn’t so bad, really.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Clogs wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 pm I’ve honestly not bought any new games since I started playing World of Warcraft at the very end of the Draenor storyline, so this is a bit of a fake post... But I just wanted to ask if anyone is playing Shadowlands? It’d be nice to find out if there’s anyone with toons on Madoran/Dawnbringer who’d consider friending-up and going to kill some stuffs :wave:

For the record, my main is a Vengeance DH. I’m not sure I’ll ever M+ as I’m really a filthy casual, but I do swing a pretty mean warglaive, if I say so myself.

I play Final Fantasy XIV Online, when I can be bothered to renew my subscription. But I've been wanting to play WoW for awhile. I used to play, for a brief period of time right around the time Burning Crusade came out so I have no idea what the game is like right now. If I get around to buying it, and you don't mind guiding a newb (I didn't play long enough to count as anything other than) around I'll give you a poke :swirly:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sades wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 pmIf I get around to buying it, and you don't mind guiding a newb (I didn't play long enough to count as anything other than) around I'll give you a poke :swirly:
Absolutely! :up: :up: :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've completed one full round of the main game of Resident Evil 0, I've also done a couple of runs through the Leech Hunter mode and currently working through the Wesker mode version of the main game.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

SENSE: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story aka Blind Stupid Luck Strikes Again. As we all know, the PS Vita has ended production and production of cartridges will be ending soon, for the most part the only physical copies being released at this point are by EastAsiaSoft from the looks of things. And while I’m not going to get everything they put out, the ones that are more limited than others. Like Sense. Instead of the usual 1000 or 1500 copies, Sense only got 800 copies, and was sold out in less than 20 minutes. And it went on sale an hour before it was supposed to. I just had the idea to refresh my browser an hour earlier, and I ordered it. If it wasn’t for the fact that I wanted to play it, I’d turn around and sell it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Speaking of blind stupid luck....

Thanks to knowing somebody who’s had to work from home thanks to the plague(I kind of have to wonder how much he did at the office before he had to work from home, though....), I managed to get a PS5.

And they aren’t kidding. The thing is freaking HUGE. Now I can pre-order Gotham Knights.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Quite a bit of gaming stuff over the last weeks/months:

For the N64, I tried to help out my display by getting a Retrotink 2X Mini. It helps the N64 on HDTV's significantly (though it doesn't make them HD like magic or anything) and it's cheaper and (potentially) more useful than the Eon Super 64. It does a good job of boosting the N64's output via S-Video and has a smoothing feature that takes out some of the jagginess. Again, not ultra-HD or anything, but light years ahead of a simple composite cable.

Also got a wireless Brawler 64 controller for the system. It's a modern update to the N64 controller that does away with the trident form of the original. It's about the size and form factor of a Switch Pro controller and is quite comfortable. Because of the design, you can't use rumble though. The stick is new tech, so it's not as accurate as the original, but it surely is sensitive! Overall I would recommend this to anyone playing an N64 these days, but it's a bit on the pricey end.

As for N64 games, I picked up a copy of Majora's Mask on eBay. I had this game in college and played the heck out of it. I'll have to see how much I still like it with the original save system - the 3DS update allowed you to save anytime. Additionally, I picked up a Super 64 Game Cart (kinda cheating, I know) to save myself some money in the long run. This is basically a KO EverDrive which you use with a micro SD card. The one I ordered came pre-loaded with all N64 games straight out of the box. It works fantastically well, and allows me to play any N64 games without having to dump a bunch of $$$. I'll still buy carts of games I want to own (like the Zeldas and Mario 64).

On a newer front, I picked up the Bloodhound DLC for theHunter COTW. It's fun, and I'm glad it's optional to use or not. I also got Hunting Simulator 2 on discount for Switch to do some portable hunting. Much better than the original game on the Switch from nearly every aspect. There's a ton to do and I like that they added a license & money system in which to hunt animals, make money or taxidermize them for the lodge, and then turn over that money into whatever weapons or items you choose. The old game was mission driven, and you could only hunt and unlock what the game presented to you by mission. Although it's not on par with COTW, this is still a very fun game.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Heinrad wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:20 pm And they aren’t kidding. The thing is freaking HUGE. Now I can pre-order Gotham Knights.
Yeah, where once I had a shelf with a PS3 & PS4 comfortably with enough airspace I now just have PS5 ... just
Lilybets
Protoform

Post by Lilybets »

I think you might have a problem with your hardware. Hardware has all of the components that make your particular device work, and without it, the software would not be accessible. Without limitations, most hardware wouldn't be able to handle the ever-growing size of assets. So a game designer is limited by the power of the current hardware when designing assets. But with the improvement in hardware came also the improvements in resolution and responsiveness of the virtual reality experience. After that, in order to have the opportunity to play a game, let's say watch-dogs-2, you need to buy one. You can also get a cd key and enjoy the game.
Last edited by Lilybets on Sun May 16, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sale for May the Fourth, so I picked up Super Star Wars on PS4. Haven't played it yet, but I have played it several times on the SNES. :up:

Also picked up NBA 2K21 on Switch since it's cheap. Every year I tell myself I don't need the new 2K game, and every year it goes on deep discount towards the end of the NBA season. So every year I talk myself into buying it. :laugh: My wild guess is it will be largely like 2K18, 19, & 20. Probably with more microtransactions!
Sades

Post by Sades »

POKEMON SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

88 Heroes for the Playstation Vita. Yet another EastAsiaSoft limited release, this looks to be a fun little platformer where 88 Z-list heroes try to save the world back in 1988.

Haven't tried it yet, though. I'm still playing Sense.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

In a sense, it must be one of those games. Like Skyrim, whose fans have bought every version going, from the original to the Samsung fridge version. Or Final Fantasy 7. Am I like that with those games? Oh, no. That might make a little more sense. Me?

Catherine: Full Bodied - Counting the PS3 version(which is the same basic game but lacking the extra content), I now have 4 physical copies of the same game, one for the PS3, one for the PS4, one for the PS Vita(which I need to hack to play properly. Or not. I do like to read the questions, but it’s not a necessity), and now one for the Switch.

I’m promising myself I won’t buy it for the PS5, because I can just put the PS4 version on it. But if they put it out…. Yeah, I’ll probably buy it.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just to add to my backlog of games I never have time to play ( :laugh: ) I picked up WWE 2K18 Deluxe on the Switch. It doesn't perform very well (30 FPS Max) but it is pretty fun to play here and there in singles matches, and has a really good roster of classics and somewhat current wrestlers. I haven't tried any other crazy matches yet, but for me it plays just fine for a quick match.

Being that 2k18 is decently fun, I got a decent deal off eBay for WWE 2K19 on PS4. This way I can play an 'updated' roster with a good mix of new & classics (with a good chunk of people that moved to AEW and are not on 2K20) on a system that can move much faster than the Switch. Should come in early next week, and hopefully I can play this one with the kids. :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've finished the story mode for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare on Veteran difficulty, which isn't that much harder than the Normal difficulty play-through and the story mode for Mortal Kombat X on Normal difficulty, which was a bit harder than I was expecting.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So a few games this time, due more to lack of time than anything. Well, except for two of them. Taking so long to be able to try it was Nintendo’s fault. So we’ll go with the order that I got them in.

The Silver Case 2425 Collector’s Edition for the Nintendo Switch. Spotted this in the locked case of a GameStop. Haven’t tried it yet, but it’s a remaster of Suda 51’s first proper game….. which would mean a lot more to me if I’d played any of his other games. I just thought it looked like an interesting murder mystery.

Syberia 1 & 2 for the Nintendo Switch. These are the two games that. Got a while ago but thanks to a bad update from Nintendo, I couldn’t actually download them. They finally did another update and I was able to download the two games that I got because they looked interesting. And they were on sale for like two bucks total.

Phineas and Ferb: Day of Doofenshmirtz for the PlayStation Vita. I got this one when I decided to get a friend of mine a game based on a show that he really likes(it is a fun show, but I can’t binge it that much), and when I found it on eBay, I was pleasantly surprised. While the game got released in both the U.S. and Europe, the U.S. release was digital only, while Europe got a physical release. The auction was for who knows how many physical copies of this game, and I got two pretty cheap, still sealed.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So this one is a bit of an odd one.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Action Adventure for the DVD player. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s not that surprising. From what I understand of watching SteveofWarr’s stream of the game, what it is is a DVD port(sort of) of Angel of Darkness. The strange part being that the game released at the same time Tomb Raider: Legend came out. And it’s fun, although it wouldn’t be Angel of Darkness if it didn’t have a glitch of some kind. Not sure if it’s because I’m trying to run it on a PS5, but every time I complete a stage, what’s supposed to be a password screen comes up as Content Removed.

Why did I get it? Angel of Darkness is my favorite Tomb Raider game. That being said, my first version of it was on the PC, and I didn’t have nearly as many problems with it as everybody else seemed to. The part that stopped me until I got the front end program was the Brother Obscura fight, and that was because my computer’s graphics card just gave up at that point. It couldn’t keep up. That and the Brother Obscura fight sucks.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I got LoZ Skyward Sword HD for the Switch.

I've been playing without the motion controls and so far I'm really liking it. I'd played a bit of the Wii version with the motion controls and didn't care for it but I'm hearing that the joycon motion controls are a whole lot better so I kind of want to give them a try. My 8 year old has warned me that it's too hard with the motion controls though, so perhaps I won't. ;)

I'm 2 dungeons in and it's a lot like any other 3D Zelda I've ever played. It's good but there's a formula to these and they all pretty much play the same. It's defenitely not Breath of the Wild but BotW was a reinvention of Zelda so I didn't expect Skyward Sword to have all the exploration of BotW. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the game.

There's a bit of thing going on with an Amiibo that you can buy that let's you transit between different areas of the gameworld and the central sky hub of the game at will. Apparently that was something you could just do before and having to buy a toy to be able to do that has got some up in arms. Thing is, there are these statue save points in the game that allow you to go to the sky hub and these statues are all over the place. Literally everywhere. I've no desire to buy the Amiibo, it's completely unnecessary, and I hope the scalpers who have put this thing out of stock and are trying to sell it for 3 times the value choke on the fucking things.
metcalcon
Protoform

Post by metcalcon »

Only recently, I realized my dream and bought a PS4 along with the Tomb Raider game. I understand that it is not the newest, but the graphics are still impressive. Plus, I'm a big fan of the Lara Croft franchise, so I've wanted to play this game for a long time, but just on the console.
It's a pity that you can't play it at work during a break. I have to occupy myself with something else. But I managed to find something to occupy myself with. Now I play freecell solitaire on one convenient site. And I pump my brain, and I kill time.
By the way, how did you like the recent presentation of the games?