Pumpkins that are in no way smashing...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Pumpkins that are in no way smashing...

Post by Zombie Dave »

Come on, this band, now defunct, were complete ****.
I've listened to a few of their supposedly better songs, I thought they sounded like boring middle of the road uninspired crap...

This is only made worse by the awful nasal droning of Billy Corgan... Seriously, if their's ever such a thing as a talking c***, I htink it would have his voice.

And yet I know many seemingly sane people who find their music good.

WHY!?
The Plant
Protoform

Post by The Plant »

I agree, Zwan is mediocre at best. Honestly is nothing to write home about. ;)
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good...and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

its worth the download, not worth a purchase :) looks like poor Billy is strapped on cash
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

I believe Pumpkins are one of those bands that at the time were good and ok to listen to. However time is the ultimate test and they have failed miserably. Nothing historically significant here.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Kurt Cobain...dead
Bradley Nowell...dead
Shannon Hoon...dead
Lane Staley...dead
Eddie Vedder...drunk, may as well be dead

Billy Corgen...new band...still making annoying ass music...

anyone else see a great injustice here?
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Siamese Dream is a great album. The rest are pretty much all ****. I love the "thick" sound that SD has. Overdubbing is their friend, I guess. Billy's voice is toned down as well, so it's a much easier pill to swallow. Songs like "Hummer" and "Mayonnaise" have some really great grooves to them, along with some terrifically nuanced guitar work. It's too bad they didn't stick with that sound a little longer.

Why anyone would recommend something as horrible as Mellon Collie to anyone is beyond me. Stick with Siamese if you listen to any of them.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Siamese Dream was a great album because Corgan's vocals are great for nihilistic music.

Zwan is a very 'happy' band, as you can see in their music video, and Corgan's vocals don't go very well. I guess it makes sense that he'd be making 'happy' music now that he's filthy rich, but it just doesn't sound good.
mkay0
Protoform

Post by mkay0 »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
Eddie Vedder...drunk, may as well be dead

Wrong. Pearl Jam still does very good work, and takes very good care of thier fans.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Originally posted by mkay0
Wrong. Pearl Jam still does very good work, and takes very good care of thier fans.

they do? i must have missed that...was that when they pretty much refused to tour for three years cause they were fighting ticket master cause they charged $37 instead of $33 per ticket, or cause they haven't released anything to match their early work outside of an occasional song or two? Face it, grunge died the second Cobain did... :(
mkay0
Protoform

Post by mkay0 »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
they pretty much refused to tour for three years cause they were fighting ticket master cause they charged $37 instead of $33 per ticket, or cause they haven't released anything to match their early work outside of an occasional song or two?

I consider fighting ticketmaster something that they did as a good thing for fans, not bad. Ticketmaster gouges bands and fans and very few bands have fought them over it. This is not really an arguement that I want to get into, but Ticketmaster is a big reason why your favorite band has tickets that are too expensive, or potentially why your favorite band might not come to your town.

How about that they record all of thier live shows and sell them for a decent price? Seems pretty fan friendly to me. How about a kick ass fan club that has two new songs sent to them on CD once a year?

As far as them not matching their early work, I like the new **** a LOT. You dont have to, that is not an arguement that we can factually conduct. Maybe the newer records have not been as popular, but as you said, grunge is dead. I wouldnt even consider the new records grunge anyway. The later records have not sold as many copies as the first three, but out of all their records, none has sold less than 2 million copies. Not numbers to scoff at.

p.s. Pumpkins are great too!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I've got 'Siamese Dream' too, none of the others, although I did download '1979'. It's quite good as an album, but I really don't listen to it much. Thank god I only paid a few quid for it.

But, (and this is the big but) I hate it when they proclaim themselves to be these fantastic godlike musicians, and we should revel in their glory. The Pumpkins were a bit like this, but the main offender right now is Audioslave.

Have you seen their video? the first thing that comes on the screen is 'PLAY LOUD' in big letters, and it just made me want to say "**** OFF, YOU OVERLY PRETENTIOUS ****WITS", just put me in a bad mood straight away and didn't endear me at all. The rest of the video is them on top of a construction with a billion fireworks going off behind them while the Soundgarden guy screams hoarsely into his microphone. They think they're 'it' because the 'supergroup' is some new kind of formula. Its so damn old. Plus they just sound like Led Zeppelin. Zach Galligan must be pissing himself laughing at these guys.

Christ, Clapton did this kind of thing with 'Blind Faith' back in the early 70's. Supergroups are invariably wank and I despise them. I'd much rather see Ugly Kid Joe return to do a covers album made entirely of Carpenters hits, now that would be fun, but Audioslave encapsulate everything that's bad about a guy being forever stuck up his own arsehole. If they really were a 'Supergroup', then at the end of their video they would make good on all the wasted fireworks and have a scud missile zoom in and blow the ****ing band to kingdom come. now THAT would be a fantastic ending.

Cochise my arse.
Houbatron
Protoform

Post by Houbatron »

Well, I literally grew up with the Pumpkins, so perhaps I'm slightly biased to a "awg, they weren't that bad" opionion... But compiling albums has always been Corgan's Achilles' heel. The pumpkins have definitely made some great songs, it's just that every release since Siamese Dream was at least twice too long, all having the "too much mediocre filler" syndrom; mostly because there were some awfully pretentious behemoths on every single one of them. For instance, Machina wasn't that bad, if it was a 6 song E.P. that stopped right after Try, Try, Try and before the godawful Heavy Metal Machine (maybe a few exceptions like Wound would fit on that E.P. as well). And let's not even start about Glass and the Ghost Children, which was an obvious attempt to make an "epic" song and at the same time also a terrible attempt at that. :rolleyes:
MC&TIS and Adore have their great moments as well, but contain too much weaker material on the whole. :(
Truth be told, I prefer their greatest hits compilation over their last few albums; pity that compilation missed a few vital songs (Mayonaise and The End is the Beginning is the End come to mind), but I still think a song like 1979 is one of the best songs ever made; partly because of nostalgia, I admit. ;)
As for Zwan... As a former Pumpkin fan, I'm very dissapointed with it. :(
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

God...

I really can't believe this...

I thought I wa going to get shat on by a load of Pumkins fans.

I'm going to go tell my mate to shove his SP flag up his arse!
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Originally posted by Windcharger

Have you seen their video? the first thing that comes on the screen is 'PLAY LOUD' in big letters, and it just made me want to say "**** OFF, YOU OVERLY PRETENTIOUS ****WITS", just put me in a bad mood straight away and didn't endear me at all. The rest of the video is them on top of a construction with a billion fireworks going off behind them while the Soundgarden guy screams hoarsely into his microphone. They think they're 'it' because the 'supergroup' is some new kind of formula. Its so damn old. Plus they just sound like Led Zeppelin. Zach Galligan must be pissing himself laughing at these guys.

Cochise my arse.

So very true. You should see their new video. It's them in a room playing some crappy love song. They don't do anything or show anything in the entire video accept them singing and playing instruments. And the song is terrible. Cornell's lyrics are generic and repetitive and it's obvious there's no emotion behind it. If Tom Morello didn't play guitar for them, they'd have absolutely no redeeming qualities.

Zach De La Rocha > Chris Cornell