Speaking of *rubbish* bands, can someone explain the Strokes appeal?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Reverend Shrapnel

Speaking of *rubbish* bands, can someone explain the Strokes appeal?

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

Quite simply, what is the appeal of the Strokes? Why are they the greatest rock band that has ever existed? I'm willing to listen to any arguments, but to me they're bland, boring, untalented and with only 1 real song under their belt. They're an Indie equivalent of the Rednex.

Still, maybe I'm just jaded but please do defend them...Unless I'm not alone in my dislike of them!:)
I've only just realised my sig's been horribly misspelled for about a year or two. Aren't you happy you read that? While you're here, erm, impeach Nixon!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

The Strokes
The Hives
The Doves

Which one is which?
Reverend Shrapnel

The Thrills
The Kills
The Ills
The Datsuns
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The No No Nos
The Music
The Fukks!

When will it all end?!?
I've only just realised my sig's been horribly misspelled for about a year or two. Aren't you happy you read that? While you're here, erm, impeach Nixon!
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Do yoe mean Doves, Jetfire? They dont have 'the' infront of their name, and are not at all like the bands placed here.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Oh. My. God!

The Strokes are one of the greatest bands, like, ever!

They've done more catchy songs than 'Last Nite', my faves are 'Alone, Together', 'Someday', 'New York City Cops', 'You Talk Way Too Much'.

Their songs are just so damn cool, they are both easy to listen to and great songs to party to.

Most bands that start with 'The' are cool!

The BellRays
The Datsuns
The Hives
The Vines
The D4
The Music
The Mooney Suzuki
The Coral
The Jam
The Von Bondies
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
The International Noise Conspiracy
The Detroit Cobras
The Donnas
The Ramones
The Dead Kennedys
The Kinks
The Beatles
The White Stripes
The Offspring
The Meteors
The Cramps
The Animals
The Beatings
The Star Spangles
The Dandy Warhols
The Fuzz
The Libertines
The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
The Misfits
The Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster
The Who

etc
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
Reverend Shrapnel

Oh please, the only neat bands on that list are The Cramps, Misfits and Ramones. The songs are easy to listen to because they're all exactly the same! Seriosuly most of these 'The' bands should wake up and slap themselves in the face in the morning because I'd be damn well shocked if I was given an obscene record deal for playing...well I can't use profanity here so I'll say, erm...dross. Yes, that'll do...

Another band that's fast becoming annoying is Queens of the Stone Age but that's mainly down to MTV2 overplaying everything they do...:mad:

EDIT: Actually, I'll concede that 80s Matchbox are pretty neat but tthey too fall into the Strokes problem of only having one song...
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by Shrapnel

Another band that's fast becoming annoying is Queens of the Stone Age

Damn you! Heretic! Burn him at the Stake!
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

No way man! It's just not the style of music you like that's all, I can't help what I like, I hear something and if I think it;s cool, I'll go buy the single then the album and then decide if I like a band as a whole or not, and in all of the cases I mentioned above are with a positive result for me, my ears like what they hear when I listen to em.

And they don;t all sound the same! It;s so irritating when people say bands who sound alike don't sound alike, for example, The Strokes don't sound like The Von Bondies, who in turn don't sound like The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, who in turn don't sound like The Coral, who in turn don't sound like The Music.

Think about it, listen to the bands, then answer properly
Reverend Shrapnel

You misunderstand, I'm not trying to say that the Strokes sound like the Music, I KNOW they're very different and I've heard the albums of many of these bands. I'm merely lumping them altogether under this garage-rock banner. Maybe I'm being blinkered there but that's the way I'm dealing with it. Anyhow, not all 'The' bands suck. The Darkness for instance are fantastic but that's because they're more like Motley Crue than MC5.

Mirage, I'm not attacking you or your choice in music (well, maybe I AM in your choice in music ;)). I don't happen to find Liverpudlian sea-shanties (The Coral) or screamy Kurt wannabes (The Vines) all that to my taste...you'd probably baulk at some of the music I enjoy, which is fine, I just want to know what makes these bands so immensely enjoyable for people. To me, they're boring and over-hyped (Guilty: The Strokes and Yeah Yeah Yeahs).

My comment about the songs sounding the same was directed to the Strokes not saying that all the bands sound the same. I'm not usually ignorant when it comes to arguing about music...
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

I know it's not a personal attack Shraps, heck we get on pretty well, I'm only sticking up for bands i like.

The whole garge rock master genre is my current scene, it's what I like, there are a great number of classic metal acts I like too.

The thing is when a band develops 'it's sound' their songs are gonna always have that similar vibe, kinda like if it ain't broke don't fix it.
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
Reverend Shrapnel

Originally posted by Mirage
I know it's not a personal attack Shraps, heck we get on pretty well, I'm only sticking up for bands i like.

The whole garge rock master genre is my current scene, it's what I like, there are a great number of classic metal acts I like too.

The thing is when a band develops 'it's sound' their songs are gonna always have that similar vibe, kinda like if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm not only a metal-head but I'll let that 'classic metal' thing ride;)...I know more than most people that when a band finds a sound it clings to it, however the Strokes annoy me as they seem to have 1 blueprint and 3 chords...

Bands like TAD and Faith No More however, expanded upon their sounds and showed some degree of diversity (don't believe that it can happen? Get 'King For A Day...Fool For A Lifetime' by Faith No More. So many different styles it's hard to believe one band could cover them all). Even bands like Nirvana (whom I'll profess to loving) had some songs which were blatant self-plagarisms (such as the 'Teen Spirit' blueprint used in 'Rape Me' etc.) but they did adjust and convince the listener that they're album was not one long song with brief interludes of silence!

Hang on a sec: let's take Pantera as an exalmple. Now there's a band that DEFINITELY found it's sound and refused to budge a great deal over a few albums but they kept things interesting with some kind of alternation. Such as on Cowboys from Hell, compare 'Domination' (Insanely fast and thrashing) to 'Cemetary Gates' (melodic and slowly introspective)...Now for me, there's nothing to that degree of diversity like that in the Strokes. It strikes me as somewhat lazy if a band keeps plugging away at the same old, same old. This is why I've not bothered buying any Ramones albums after 'Road To Ruin' because they'd exhausted their entire format.

Maybe the Strokes will change over the course of a few albums but after seeing the Strokes perform 'new material' it sounds unlikely. To some it may not sound broke. But to me it sounds like it needs fixing...
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

:) Well, I suppose if you don't feel good whilst listening to or indeed enjoy yourself whilst listening to the Strokes then that's fair enough, I just happen to genuinly like their music, regardless of what critics or fellow listeners say about them, I will decide for myself.

BTW, I'm glad I'm having this discussion with you Shraps, I love that sig!!!!!:)
Reverend Shrapnel

Originally posted by Mirage

BTW, I'm glad I'm having this discussion with you Shraps, I love that sig!!!!!:)

I just can't get enough of it either...You look great in those shades...;)
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Well, I like the 'garage-rock' bands also.

The White Stripes and The Music are quickly becoming two of my favorites. I love the technoish feel of the Music, and I love the use of guitar by the White Stripes. I also think that bands like the Vines and the Strokes are a hell of a lot better than most of the stuff played on the radio these days. And the Doves and the Queens of the Stone Age wouldn't be considered 'garage-rock' in my opinion. The Doves hang by their vocalist, who is one hell of a vocalist, and the QotSA are just killer.

Edit: I think it's the Pearl Jam wannabes that are annoying me the most in rock these days. Creed, Nickleback, Theory of a Deadman, 3 Doors Down, etc... I guess they get more radio time in Vancouver than in the UK though, so I'm just sick of hearing it so often.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Strokes = Television with better PR.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

Doves are ****ing quality, and nothing like the vast majority of the other bands listed, as has already noted. I think the music are okay, strokes make some catchy tunes, a lot fo the others can just **** off as far as I'm concerned.

Most of them have a very basic sound, (in my opinion due to a distinct lack of ability) and repeat it over and over again, showing little to no sign of progression - again, this has already been noted.

I actually think a lot of this garage rock stuff is very similar to what many people here site as manufactured pop rubbish - similar not in the way it sounds, but the way it is churned out.

Of course, this isn't how it's publicised, as the majority of garage rock publicity will come through publications like the nme - a publication which in my opinion is credible for all the wrong reasons. Fair enough, it's been around for a while, but that's only half of it. The problem is that the vast majority of music publications are absolute ****. NME is credability bible by default. And it can then set its own agenda as to what makes good music.

The nme often looks to me like it feels the need to fight a credability battle on behalf of everybody who doesn't like the manufactured pop dominating the charts. They trumpet as many credible bands (by which I mean able to play instruments and write their own music and lyrics) as is humanly possible - which often leads to an exageration of many of these bands actual ability, and the quality of their songs.

Imo a lot of this ties back to stupid, insecure people feeling the need to belong to a group. It's a faction, I see it in the streets, it's ****ing stupid. I refuse to buy into it myself, and maybe this is a subconscious reason why I write off so much of the music that these differing fasion categories represent.

It's rapidly degenerating to an extension of ****ing trendies V linkers, isnt it? Trendies V linkers, or whatever else the term is for your area. Zealots walk around in their uniform, buying the music that it relects.

This is pretty damn blatent as far as the 'uk garage' and 'nu metal' scenes go.

And what a load of **** music that has brought about.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Great analysis... I'd also like to point to the nu-metal thing as an example of just how clever some music executives are... it's establishment anti-establishment music, individuality cloned.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The Strokes sound absolutely buggrall like The Hives... I quite like the latter group, whereas I merely find the first group pleasantly tolerable fuzz... Yeah Yeah Yeahs aren't bad, but are inconsistent... Doves... well, I can't stand them.

Something I've generally noticed is that I get a lot more from listening to 'stripped-down' guitar music than I used to...

Most diverse band over time of recorded output? The Wildhearts.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

It seems to me that people dislike the pretentions and similarities of the bands much more than the music itself...

I like the Strokes, but I'm not too keen on the Vines or the Hives, and I don't understand how they're being lumped together in the same genre even. I think that the Hives have a more punk leaning whereas the Strokes lean towards soft rock or something.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I think it's the same kind of appeal that Andrew WK has....

Can't listen to it at any other time than when mildly trollied, before a night out, for a good sing-a-long...