Was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre real?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jim

Was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre real?

Post by Jim »

I saw the movie yesterday, and just had to ask if all that really happened? It just seemed so wild. Also, can anyone confirm if the old 70's footage shown in the beginning and end was real? I mean, it looked real real, not real but you know its fact type of real. :)

All of this happened in Texas? Go figure. =-o
Civ

Post by Civ »

Well I saw the promos for the movie say it's based on a true story. What that "true story" is exactly, I don't know.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by Civ
Well I saw the promos for the movie say it's based on a true story. What that "true story" is exactly, I don't know.

That's the problem.. I've heard many sources that it is based off of. However, none of them yield a psycho family with a leather face kid in a warped town that hacks up people with chainsaws and eats their bodies.

:-/
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

When they say 'true story' I think it only gets as far as people were actually sent out to investigate reports of this kind of stuff.

There's probably a bunch of stuff about it on the net... ;)
Civ

Post by Civ »

I just found this on the web:

http://zap.to/massacre

Hopefully, this helps.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by Civ
I just found this on the web:

http://zap.to/massacre

Hopefully, this helps.

The link didn't work. :(
Civ

Post by Civ »

Ah ****. Well the way I found it was by typing Texas Chainsaw Massacre into Google and then there's a link on the second page of results called Texas ChainSaw Massacre Homepage. It also shows that same address I showed in my previous post in this thread. Hope that helps.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Civ

Post by Civ »

Yes, that's what I was trying to link to but for some reason Avant didn't give me the right address.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Something probly did happen similar to it, but no doubt its been exaggerated for the movies.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

And along I thought it was fake, and not based on a true story. BigMaki that link was great! :)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Roger Ebert said it was real...real bad. Gave it 0 stars and ended his review telling people to not see it and let it steal 98 minutes of their lives.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Roger Ebert said it was real...real bad. Gave it 0 stars and ended his review telling people to not see it and let it steal 98 minutes of their lives.

Roger Ebert is also the same guy who said "Spider-Man" was bad because it was "too comic-bookish." I loved that moment because the other guy (Roper?) just paused for about thirty seconds trying to ingest what Ebert just said without retorting, "it is a comic book." I usually take everything Ebert and other critics say with a grain of salt after that moment and I don't pass judgement until either I see it or one of my friends see it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by Civ
I don't pass judgement until either I see it or one of my friends see it.

Same here. :)
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is loosely based on Ed Gein, the real life serial killer who used the skins and body parts of his victims to make stuff like lamp and chair and belt. Here's a link for those interested learning about this guy:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill ... ill_1.html
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

In 2050 we'll see at the holo flicks 9/11 where a young couple fall in love and the towers are hit, 4000 are killed and at the end the young man applies for military service to avange his lovers death and ges all the way to killing Bin Laden. Sorry if that one offends people but Hollywood always twists certain facts in flms like 'The patriot', 'U571', 'Pearl harbor', 'Braveheart' ect and i get a small impression their a bit biased when it comes to UK.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Civ
Roger Ebert is also the same guy who said "Spider-Man" was bad because it was "too comic-bookish." I loved that moment because the other guy (Roper?) just paused for about thirty seconds trying to ingest what Ebert just said without retorting, "it is a comic book." I usually take everything Ebert and other critics say with a grain of salt after that moment and I don't pass judgement until either I see it or one of my friends see it.

roger ebert is a big fat blowhard, and i learned a long time ago never to listen to a word he's saying (unless it happens to be, "hey, i just realized i'm a big fat blowhard. wow, i should just shut the hell up....."). remember, the one and only time ebert forayed into the world of scriptwriting, we were subjected to "return to the valley of the dolls" (iirc).
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by Sir Auros

I guess Ebert will be wondering how it brought in 30$ million this weekend. =-o
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I saw it. Only because I had nothing better to do though.

I can't say much was a good about it. It seemed like the whole point of the movie was to gross you out. It wasn't really that scary, and I personally didn't care about any of the characters.

Only good part: Jessica Biel wearing a tight white shirt for the entire movie.