Ok, I really need some help understanding this one.....

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brave Maximus

Ok, I really need some help understanding this one.....

Post by Brave Maximus »

I'm kicking back, have my Net radio on and enjoying a good mix of music. Then Alexisonfire comes on. :wtf:

I know, I'm 25 and not cool and my taste in music is old and it sucks - but what in the blue hell is this!?!

I'd seen them on much music a few times, but turned it in the first 30 seconds. I tried to listen to them - but for the love of god - all the lead singer is doing is screetching at the top of his lungs - and this is called music?

Oh for those of you who have been blessed by not hearing them: http://www.theonlybandever.com/main.html is the official website - they have a few video's on there. I don't recomend listening - it hurts....
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

No idea. I like ocasional, in tune screaming. "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd being a fine example. However I've rarely brought much modern musik.
Though in the UK people are moving to tradionalish, tuneful bands in the classic 60's/70's mold, Keane, Coldplay, Scissor Sisters etc and have never gone en mass for death metal or american type rock except in brief flirtations.

Music more than anything else is a very subjective area.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
for the love of god - all the lead singer is doing is screetching at the top of his lungs - and this is called music?
Yup. In the milieu I prefer Cradle of Filth, though. Angst < stories.
Justin
Protoform

Post by Justin »

I actually liked those guys when I listened. A little more singing to break up the yell would be nice, but the guy had good sounding scream. Remind me of thrice a little bit.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Well, to each his own, I guess. I don't like it.

I suppose I like a bit of music in my music. :p
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Justin
but the guy had good sounding scream

Ok - I find that strange and weird.

I've heard some pop-tarts say that they love the lyrics of the songs: What lyrics? Can anyone actually make them out?
Justin
Protoform

Post by Justin »

Originally posted by Kup1
Well, to each his own, I guess. I don't like it.

I suppose I like a bit of music in my music. :p

hehe, I like that people are so into different kinds of music. It gives me lots of different stuff to listen to.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

What lyrics? Can anyone actually make them out?
Some people complain that they can't pick lyrics out of CoF. I can't pick intelligence out of most pop drivel. Swings and roundabouts...

I also enjoy music without lyrics (eg, tourette's by Nirvana) and bits and pieces in other languages. Listening to songs for word accuracy doesn't strike me as very fun, especially when if you bothered to isolate the lyrics they'd be singing the same old repetitive **** about life, sex and death.

Anyone who's lost the connect between music and emotion or just the sensation of feeling sound pass through them hasn't been to enough live gigs recently.

Can you pick lyrics out of opera? Latin out of mass?

You don't have to understand everything or try to make sense of it.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Oh - I agree there - some of my favourite songs are in languages that I don't understand. My problem with Alexisonfire is that it is supposedly in english. I can't make a single word out, let alone a whole verse.

If I go into the music knowing that I'm not going to understand the lyrics, that's one thing. When I've been told the lyrics are "Deep and meaningful" and all I get is screeching - then I have a problem. And, after checking out the "lyrics" online - it's the same teen angst crap

But again, it's not my taste in music - so......
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I don't consider lyrics important at all. I see lyrics as another instrument, basically. Sure, singing along to the lyrics is all fun and good, but I can hum along to a tune equally well.

-Ss
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

When I've been told the lyrics are "Deep and meaningful" and all I get is screeching - then I have a problem.
Yes, that you can't understand the lyrics in order to make an assessment of whether you consider them at all meaningful. However, it's nonsensical to suggest that lyrics are either less or more meaningful because you can't understand them.

Also, lyrics aren't the only reason to listen to music.
My problem with Alexisonfire is that it is supposedly in english.
If it helps you get past the mental block, treat it as if it isn't in English. There's still no guarantee you'll like it, but at least you won't be dismissing something because it's a particular style.

I mean, I can't stand most of the rap I've heard, but there's some I like. I can't stand even more country and western, but again there's a bit I've come across I like. Emo (screamo?) is just another loose classification.

Go find a copy of the Bathory Aria. It doesn't work nearly as well as a standalone piece as it does surrounded by instrumentals and the rest of the story, but there's a wide range of vocals in just the first minute. Nice background harmonies too.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Lyrics is everything for me, id be lost if i couldnt sing along to the music for me, its not as much what they say as them being clear, the only band i like where i can barely understand the lyrics is Children of Bodom.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Alexisonfire is emo, more accurately screamo. Really, really bad screamo.

This coming from someone who is very emo most of the time. Alexisonfire sucks, don't listen to them... ever.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Sociopathic Autobot
Alexisonfire is emo, more accurately screamo. Really, really bad screamo.

This coming from someone who is very emo most of the time. Alexisonfire sucks, don't listen to them... ever.

Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon

Don't you have some obscure website predicting an alien invasion planned by the government to post about?
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon

Eeyore's not emo. His life actually is terrible, unlike emo kids, and he seems to be okay with that, unlike emo kids.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Rabbit, though... now, Rabbit has issues. And Tigger has to be on something... but it's a cheery something, whatever it is. I hope he never changes his medication.

Music is music... when I listen I don't usually give a thought to 'genre'. If I like, I like... I know of some country I like, some rap, classical, rock etc. All music, all I like is nice to my ears and that's what matters to me.

Though for me, some music is very linked to events and stuff... not so much anymore, but a lot of the stuff that was linked to crap I tend to avoid. Happy music makes me happy, even less than happy music can cheer me up if it's good. I like lyrics but nowdays it's more... for the sake of them than anything else, if that makes any sense. Some of it is linked to what I'm feeling but some of it is just good ****, y'know?

Hmm, I don't know if I've gibbled that or not... Though I've heard of alexisonfire I don't think I've listened to.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
Eeyore's not emo. His life actually is terrible, unlike emo kids, and he seems to be okay with that, unlike emo kids.

True Story, Eeyore's just on a permanent come down, he accepts that

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Justin
hehe, I like that people are so into different kinds of music. It gives me lots of different stuff to listen to.

And I listen to a wide range myself.:-)

Heck, just bring back the 80's.

Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by Alpha Trion

Yes lets paint all people who are emo with the same brush as whiners with perfect little lives and just whine for fun! Even though there is someone who is emo here and is usually nothing like that! Yes! That's brilliant!

You're a tool!