PS3 --pics-- [Console Wars]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Prowl?
Nintendo was retarded with the way it handled both the n64 and the GC. It stuck with carts when everyone and their momma's knew discs were the way to go, and they insisted no one wanted online and instead peddled us this crap GBA connectivity in the fledgling days of the online startup for consoles. Nintendo is a great developer, but when it comes to marketing and developing a platform, they haven't had a success since the days of the SNES. They make akward controlers, they do not try to disband their stereotype of *kiddie only*, they have *no* quality third party exclusive titles, nor any deals with 3rd party developers that inspires me to any hope for their next console. They are going to be squeezed out of the console market, and pull a sega within 3 or 4 years. And with the way they are going in the handheald market, the PSP will move them out of that market too.

See this post. Think that covers everything.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Prowl?
Nintendo was retarded with the way it handled both the n64 and the GC.

They are going to be squeezed out of the console market, and pull a sega within 3 or 4 years. And with the way they are going in the handheald market, the PSP will move them out of that market too.

I doubt it. rememebr the N64 was a huge success. It sold much more than the SNES and was brought by more famalies.

The GC still sold roughly as much as the X-box last time I checked the figures. That meens you can't criticise Nintendo without slagging off Microsoft if your talking appeal and marketing.

We may feel "Oh every has a x Box or PS2" but famlies brought GCs for their kids in huge numbers making it sell roughly the same number of consoles as microsoft did, in less time. Hardly retarded handeling. You forget the PS and PS2 was super popular. The N64, Xbox and Gc still sold much more console units taht anything in history not branded by sony.

Just becasue it doesn't sell as much as a PS2 it doesn't make it a failure. Nintendo only had one year in it's history in which it didn't make a profit and it wasn't 2004. As long was Nintendo is making a profit there is no reason why they should stop.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

Stop pause wait rewind, PSP will annihilate Nintendo's handheld position? That expensive PS2 handheld that takes photos and uses UMDs? sorry but I can't and don't see people rushing for a handheld with two cheap gimmicks, over priced games, virtually useless and disgustingly priced UMDs, and a future line up of PS2 ports. No developer would invest in brand new and expensive 3D games for any handheld. As shown in E3, they are rooting for the DS.
Plus with all these law suits and investigations, Sony Computer Entertainment are doomed.

The big N do make profit off their games and consoles amazingly, plus just because they sold 20 million cubes and sony sold 90 million PS2's is nothing, those 20 million Cubes are likely still in peoples homes and those PS2's also include replacements which with PS consoles in general is a hell of a lot. Devide it by three and you'd probably get a more accurate idea of how many PS2s are in peoples households. Not that it at all matters but I do think Sony are losing confidence in gamers more then the big N all this talk about the big N dying is the same as it's been since the N64 days.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I would like to know where you guys are pulling these sales figures from.

And really, it would be nice if people stopped making assumptions and statements that they don't proceed to back up.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

I get my info mostly off Gamecentral on Teletext, sometimes in magazines and off various other forums on the internet.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by Lambda prime
Plus with all these law suits and investigations, Sony Computer Entertainment are doomed.

:wtf:

1 lawsuit that never should have made it to court and Microsoft bitching about Anti-trust.

Where the heck are they "Doomed"

Wost thing that could happen is they pull out of the US market - and the only one that that would hurt is the North Am gamers
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Sixswitch

And really, it would be nice if people stopped making assumptions and statements that they don't proceed to back up.

-Ss

Quite often people read stuff thats not on the internet. Gaming magazines for example. It's not always so easy to post a link. And many internet sites aren't nesseacry reliable anyway.
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Anyway my whole view in all this is in the end it's my choice what system*s* I buy. Just as much as it's Auros or Lamada's.

Just since I own most of the old Nintendo games I give a damn about on ROM and no longer care about pretty much all of Nintendo's cash cow series I will got MS and Sony this time.

Anyway different strokes for different blokes.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Plasmodium

New controller pics.

Post by Plasmodium »

Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

They don't look too bad - I just wonder how big they are. The PS2 controlers are kind of small in my hand - these could be too
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I bought the PS2 just to get a taste of the next gen [back then, lol] console gaming. Me and my sister are survival horror fans, so games like Resident Evil CVX and Silent Hill 2 made us happy back then. Of course then came DMC, which is still one of my top 5 games.

I then proceeded to buy a gamecube because of all the new resident evil titles. REmake, REZero, RE4 and it also gave me a chance to buy resident evil 2 and 3, which up to that point, I owned pirated versions.

I'd just love to check out DMC4 and the new Gundam game...
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Just a little info on the XBOX 360, it turns out that the games cubicles (at microsofts stand) at E3 while having a 360 in are in fact being run by 2 Apple G5 computors in each cubicle.

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/defaul ... ionid=1586
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Lambda prime
Stop pause wait rewind, PSP will annihilate Nintendo's handheld position? That expensive PS2 handheld that takes photos and uses UMDs? sorry but I can't and don't see people rushing for a handheld with two cheap gimmicks, over priced games, virtually useless and disgustingly priced UMDs, and a future line up of PS2 ports. No developer would invest in brand new and expensive 3D games for any handheld. As shown in E3, they are rooting for the DS.

Thats my view, this isn't bashing but my opinion... The PSP has brilliant graphics for a hand held... BUT... Theyre stupidly high quality graphics for a handheld, the games would become almost indistinguishable to play... look at it this way, ive seen on tv, in the streets, on the bus, in magazines of people playing the DS while walking around, i passed a kid walking down my road playing one... You wouldnt be able to find someone with a PSP who could do that, because the graphics are so stupid that you have to concentrate more than ever to even see whats going on.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

Plus no one wants a monopoly, Recently a Sony chief in the UK had the audacity to criticise shops for selling PS2 games for £29.99 when the recommended retail price is £39.99.
Whenever one company has had a monopoly weve had to put up with outragous prices, I'd rather see healthy competition.
Alphadog
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I like the look of the PS3 controller. However, I shall reserve judgement on it until I've held it in my hands.

The controller is really important to me when we're talking about console gaming. Because the GC controller was so crap, it really put me off the console, even before we talk about the games.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Re: New controller pics.

Post by Alpha Trion »

L2 and R2 aren't huge anymore. :(

The D-pad and four main buttons seem to be at weird angles, but that could just be the way the picture was taken.

I'm not digging the uber-long handles. I really wish they hadn't changed the controller for the new system.
Sixswitch

Re: Re: New controller pics.

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion

I'm not digging the uber-long handles. I really wish they hadn't changed the controller for the new system.
It depends on how the handle feels - If I can hold it comfortably near the top, it shouldn't be a problem. If I have to stretch to reach the buttons, it will be.

Anyone know if it's going to be possible to use PS2 controllers with the PS3?

-Ss
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

More than likely no. If you look at the pics of the PS3 - there are no controler ports - they're wireless and it's built right in.

But, I will bet that there will be some after-market controlers more styled like the PS1 and 2 controlers (Like the "Spider-Man" Controler - or something by Mad Catz) Quality is always a concern though
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
More than likely no. If you look at the pics of the PS3 - there are no controler ports - they're wireless and it's built right in.

But, I will bet that there will be some after-market controlers more styled like the PS1 and 2 controlers (Like the "Spider-Man" Controler - or something by Mad Catz) Quality is always a concern though

Since all three consoles are going to have wireless controllers built in, we'll probably see 3rd party companies making a single controller that works for all three. That'd be handy.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Sixswitch

here is some info: http://journal.pcvsconsole.com/?thread=8498

http://www.pcvsconsole.com/hank/answer.php?file=549

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 064660.stm

http://www.psreporter.com/playstation_2_sales.html

Something positive on the Nntendo DS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4081001.stm
http://news.com.com/Nintendo+DS+a+sales ... ws.1043.20

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20 ... 25206.html
"With Nintendo DS sales moving faster than anticipated, some locations have reported sellouts, and Nintendo predicts the initial North American supply will be depleted within days,"
http://www.bwflag.com/2005/04/sony_psp_sales_.html
"The PlayStation Portable (PSP) has been solid but not spectacular. We believe that the PSP launch, while not the blow-out event expected, will be considered successful as retailers continue to sell through existing inventory levels," McNealy said in a note.
Never doubt the Fire's vague statistical knowledge again.

All the above links are coinsistent with my arguements about the gamecube being roughly selling the same as the X-Box. People who talk about Nintendo flooping, crap image, low sales, not as good as sony or X-box etc, generall are talking out og their blind arses. Nintendo are selling more than ever.

There are always of lots of Nintendo criticism about their marketing but why doesn't everybody point to Microsoft? X-Box has been in more mainstreram media, marketed far more agressively and has a bigger and more infulential company behind it but is only on the level of the GC.