PS3 --pics-- [Console Wars]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

and has a bigger and more infulential company behind it but is only on the level of the GC. [/B]

Not in the console market. That's the key I think. Nintendo have got a considerable (and I do mean considerable) history in the console market, predating both Sony and Microsoft by at least a decade.

Not that I have an opinion on Nintendo's marketing, I simply don't like the Gamecube.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Unicron

Re: Re: Re: New controller pics.

Post by Unicron »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
Anyone know if it's going to be possible to use PS2 controllers with the PS3?

-Ss

I suspect Sony may eventually release some sort of adapter that would plug into one of the USB ports that would allow for the use of PS2 controllers. But that's just speculation on my part.
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
See this post. Think that covers everything.

Nintendo made a few good steps in the GC cycle, mainly bringing back the metroid franchise with a vengance and obtaining the resident evil franchise for three years. But having 5 or 6 mature titles isn't enough anymore. The demographics of video game buyers suggest that the majority of purchasers are the 18-25 male crowd and as much as it is a great game, the majority of these people wouldn't take a Paper Mario over lets say, Doom 3.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my GC. Spending time with Mario Kart and Smash brothers were some really well spent video game time. But the fact of the matter is that the market generally cannot support 3 or more console developers (NEC got bounced out by Sega and Nintendo in the late 80's, Atari and panasonic got destroyed by Sega and Nintendo in the early 90's and Nintendo and Sony outlasted sega in the late 90's/ early 2000's). And from prior track records from the last generation, Nintendo looks like the weak player here.

Its not about what is neccessarily good quality, its what sells. And right now, the Microsoft and Sony brands are a better sell than Nintendo.
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

I have to agree with Prowl?. If history is the indicator then Nintendo is next in line to be bounce to the wayside. Will this happen? Honestly, I doubt it or no. But this has happened in the past. Oh you forgot Phillips and even SNK *though Neo Geo's hardware still seems to be used even though it's 14 years old.*.

My problem with Nintendo is my love for their key series has went away. I would rather play Zelda A Link to The Past for SNES than any of the new stuff now *Even that one at E3, all I can say is woo more Zelda in 3D :yawn:*. I admit I use to love their games but now it's just wow let's take an old game and make it 3d!

But anyway that seems to be a problem with most games now.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Ravage
I admit I use to love their games but now it's just wow let's take an old game and make it 3d!

Erm.. I dont quite see how theyre supposed to continue a franchise without bringing out a new game, it seems a load of people are nitpicking over nothing, this new Zelda looks to add a vastly different type of playability than the others, and it looks fantastic, i dont see how thats wrong of nintendo.

It isnt like GTA where its, bigger city, more cars, more missions. They try to achieve something different in all their games, so its not as if you can say "god this new Zelda game, its just the same as the others" because it isnt.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Sony and Microsoft = Aiming for the 18 - 25+

Nintendo = Aiming for the Younger Audience.

Do you know the most successful band in Australia is? The Wiggles. Why? The aim for the right audience, little kids go nuts if they don't get what they want, they something kick ass on the Game cube and they pitch in and do extra chores around the house until they get it.

Both Sony and Microsoft have been going for the wallet of the order gamer. While they're is more money in it, Nintendo knew they aren’t going to beat them, so they went for the younger audience, and that’s what they've been going for ages, and they've managed to keep afloat.

Sony and Microsoft aren't mainly aiming for the 12 - 18 age group, were quite a bit of money is located, Nintendo have a few games in the 18 - 25, were they mop up. Nintendo have done nicely with themselves so far.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

Big N doesnt care about third party support any more, while it is important, they are aiming for people who would buy multiple consoles, Gamecube has been a decent companion one in my eyes.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

PS3 might not be as good as Sony boasted:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617 ... ?fromint=1

But like it says at the end of the article, there wont be much visual difference between any of the next consoles.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground