Saw episode III last night [MAJOR SPOILERS]...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Redstreak
He may or may not have had the apparent convictions he carries now back then.

True, but I still stand by my belief that he didn't set out to make a political statement in the movie.
And really, these problems have existed since long before you and I were alive...the 70s were the big peace/love/hippie era after all.

You don't think I know that? That's the whole point I've been trying to prove since this conversation started. We all know that. Unfortunately, we appear to be the only ones.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Yeah I don't tend to think he set out to make a statement, if anything he saw an opportunity to and did just because.

But yeah, not enough of us realize these things. Ppl can be so ignorant.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Ppl can be so ignorant.

Amen.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

True. But the lines weren't written then. And basic plotlines can evolve; we don't know what he had originally but this is what it became.

Judging by the set up for it all was clearly in the Phantom menance defently pre Bush (The script was finished by '97 at the latest) and there are hints in "A new hope" about how Palps had been erroding demoracy constantly theres clearly no intention that Lucas ment this to be about Bush.

However, it is more intresting that Lucas observed that this would be a good method to aquire political power, and lo and behold, thats almost exactly how the Bush adminstration set about doing to attain power and retain it.

In it's way it's so accurate a prediction it's eerie. Much like how a lot of 1984 (State increasingly telling us how to think, all practricle ideas gettting lost in burocracy) is increasingly becomming reality.
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Originally posted by BigMaki
My single biggest problem, though, lies in this... You know what made the lightsaber battles in the original trilogy so damn great? It wasn't the moves they used, it was what they said between them.
I find the whole no dialogue thing rather effective in Episode 1 though, it's as if Qui Gon and Kenobi were stunned/concentrating/studying what this person could be after thinking the Sith have been extinct for some long. And with Maul, he gives those badass looks as if to say the Sith are alive and kicking and all along you've had no idea. I find that the close ups shared between the three somewhat convey that there is a mutual respect happening after all the events between them unfold rather quickly. But anyway, that's just how I see it. Good fight that.
"Among those fans there's at least one guy for whom you're a hero. He saved money to see you! That's what I did. I played for that guy." - Bruce Springsteen (1987)
Jetfire

Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Jetfire »

Thing we learned from Revenge of the Sith:

Chewbacca is probably still picking sand out of his hair from the Battle of Kashyyyk when we see him in A New Hope.

The Emperor isn't bald under his hood.

People from Naboo don't look like beach balls when pregnant with twins.

Despite murdering dozens of children, betraying your friends, and choking your wife, you can still have good in you.

While Stormtroopers may not be a great shot, Clone Troopers are!

Even cyborg generals can get Tuberculosis.

The Jedi's health insurance policy does not cover lost limbs, but the Sith plan has you covered.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Well I finally saw it. Im in line to agree with LT on this one in the category of annoyances. While I do have complaints about this film, most of them are in the form of simple nitpicks and other small things. On the whole though, I found it somewhat entertaining, certainly not mind blowing but I went into it with an open mind.

While some parts were well done, such as the duels, I found this movie to be mainly pure cheese. The lines were horrible I thought, the repeated "Nooos" of Palpatine were hideous, he sounded like a whining kid going into a seizure. Then of course there was Vaders "Nooooo." I literally cringed at that part. Also, I found it very annoying that throughout the entire movie Anakins head was always looking down with his eyes up in his skull, like he was trying to over do the whole "Im a badass Jedi rebel teen and Im gunna hurt you if you piss me off, also fight the power!" The other part I didnt like was where he and Obi were done fighting and Anakin gets lit on fire. Its like hes covered in flames, on hot rock, and after a few seconds, the flames go out. That didnt make any sense, if youre covered in flames with nothing available to put them out, they arent going to go out just like that, he should have died there. Which is another thing, obviously its the Jedi way to kill a threat, as evident by Windu's eagerness to finish off Sidious, so why didnt Obi just finish off Anakin right there. Though I suppose I dont have any ground with that one, as he thinks of him as a 'brother.' If I were him Id finish him right there and be done with it. Another thing that I found slightly odd was that when Yoda entered Sidious' room it appeared that he was just sitting at his table doing nothing, who just sits at their desk and just...sits there, doesnt he have something better to do, like, I dont know...kill people?

I will most likely watch it a 2nd time, and Ill probly find even more things that bother me, but its nothing major in that it makes the movie crap or anything. Like I said, I did find it entertaining, but suprisingly youll find, is that I kinda came out of this one with a 'meh.' unlike episode 2, which I thought was MORE enjoyable than episode 3. I am no doubt in the extreme minority on that one.

Rating: 7/10
Zisteau

Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1

The Jedi's health insurance policy does not cover lost limbs, but the Sith plan has you covered.

Really? They gave Anakin a new arm in ep. II.
Random Sweep
Protoform

Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Random Sweep »

Originally posted by Zisteau

Perhaps there is a one limb only coverage in the jedi plan.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Bombshell
And quite frankly, even though I freely admit that there are small problems with the movie, I'm not about to do what you've done and go on and on about it.

I wish you would.

You know I'd take you a lot more serious in threads about Star Wars if you could. As it is I can barely read anything you have to say on the matter as you always sound like some obsessed fanboy.

You go after anyone who has anything bad to say about the franchise.

I hate when someone says something like, "If you're only going to criticize it then take it elsewhere." Then what the f*ck is the point?

I'm an artist and I hate it when someone looks at my drawings and doesn't say what I could've done better. I don't want to here what you like about it.

When I look at something, anything, a movie, a cartoon, a comic, etc. I'm going to tell you what I didn''t like about it. What could've been better.

I've only seen the movie once and the movie seemed rushed to me.

I thought the Jedi being taken out should've been something more. These guys were all supposed to be the best warriors ever and they all went down like bitches. I was dissappointed. Yoda was the only Jedi capable of taking out a few clones to save his life? I don't buy it.

I realize Papatine was a badass but up against four (it was four right, or five?) Jedi there could've been a little more struggle. He takes out two of them in the first 5 seconds.

The Jedi died with a whimper, the order deserved more than that if you ask me.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Jetfire

Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Jetfire »

Who did?

Palpatine or the Jedi?

We don't know. I'm going for Palpy myself as the Jedi all make it abundently clear they don't get 2 s##ts about Anakin (Obi Wan excepted) and Palpy was looking at this stage to get serious brownie points from "the chosen one".
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Hound
You know I'd take you a lot more serious in threads about Star Wars if you could. As it is I can barely read anything you have to say on the matter as you always sound like some obsessed fanboy.

Just because I happen to be a little more knowledgeable in these manners than most does not make me "some obsessed fanboy."
You go after anyone who has anything bad to say about the franchise.

No. I go after anyone who goes after the prequels without any justifiable reason.
I thought the Jedi being taken out should've been something more. These guys were all supposed to be the best warriors ever and they all went down like bitches. I was dissappointed. Yoda was the only Jedi capable of taking out a few clones to save his life? I don't buy it.

I realize Papatine was a badass but up against four (it was four right, or five?) Jedi there could've been a little more struggle. He takes out two of them in the first 5 seconds.

The Jedi died with a whimper, the order deserved more than that if you ask me.

You know, both myself and Erik have already gone into detail about why this is so, so I don't think I'm going to repeat it. Feel free to go back in the thread and look.

That is, unless you consider our explanations the work of "some obsessed fanboy."
Zisteau

Re: Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Zisteau »

Who did?

Palpatine or the Jedi?

We don't know. I'm going for Palpy myself as the Jedi all make it abundently clear they don't get 2 s##ts about Anakin (Obi Wan excepted) and Palpy was looking at this stage to get serious brownie points from "the chosen one".

Are you serious with this? You think the Jedi are going to let their most powerful up-and-coming jedi be a crip for the rest of his life? Hell, even Luke got a fresh hand and all he had was some rebel friends and a few droids. I seriously doubt with all the droids running around, that giving someone a robot limb is that big a deal. The original statement was just blatantly wrong. (The Jedi's health insurance policy does not cover lost limbs, but the Sith plan has you covered.)
Jetfire

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Jetfire »

Are you serious with this? You think the Jedi are going to let their most powerful up-and-coming jedi be a crip for the rest of his life?

No I'm not serious. :rolleyes:

But on that note, show me the evidence that Anakin got treated anything but crap by most of the jedi.
They talk down to him, humilliate him, talk about him behind his back, treat him like an object rather than a real person, initally reject him from training as one dispite saving the day, give him no congratulations for saving day after day on the most dangerous missions and then sends his best friend to kill him.

Tell me again were the Jedi ever have treated him well?
Zisteau

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Zisteau »

But on that note, show me the evidence that Anakin got treated anything but crap by most of the jedi.
They talk down to him, humilliate him, talk about him behind his back, treat him like an object rather than a real person, initally reject him from training as one dispite saving the day, give him no congratulations for saving day after day on the most dangerous missions and then sends his best friend to kill him.

I don't disagree with any of that. You just gave no indication in your post that you were kidding.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I'm always kidding.

Except when I'm not.
RID Scourge

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by RID Scourge »

When you put it that way, no wonder he turned to the dark side . . .
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Not to steer off-topic, but this is a good a place as any to ask those that have a deeper knowledge about the continuity than I do. We know there's 10 years between ep 1 and ep 2, and 20 years between ep 3 and 4. What I'm wondering here is what the generally accepted time passages are in the other eps. Like between 2 and 3 it seems like 5 years, tho I'd heard it was to be two, and I've never known how much time passes from 4-6. Anybody?
Jetfire

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen from theforce.net

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
When you put it that way, no wonder he turned to the dark side . . .

Shall we add taking him from his mum and basically saying he shouldn't go a rescue her, telling him saving his wifes life is a bad thing, giving him the most dangerous missions but not making him a master when he surpasses them all in ability and deeds, constantly whining about strictly following the Jedi code then commanding Anakin to break it to spy on the guy to brought him up like a son and then in front on Anakin claim it's alright to break the code and kill a defenseless old man if your Mace Windo.

Find me one sceen were a Jedi not named Obi Wan gives Anakin even one conforting word or a pleasent conversation. They just bark order and tell him to s##t the f### up if he has disagreements.
Then when he doesn't do exactly as they want they start bi#chin that the prophecy that they all believe in and lead their lives by must have been read wrong.

Then after all this they say the guy who treat Anakin as a son, gave him everything he wanted after a childhood of slavery and beatings, used his infulence to get Anakin a better posistion in life and kept his greatest secrets and also has a damn good (If contraversal) plan to bring the galaxy to peace and is loved by everybody is evil. Then they tell him they should get rid of him becasue of his religious beliefs.
Notice they never once asked him to voluntarily to give up the extra powers they just show up light sabers on (Dispite the Jedi code says violence is a last resort only) to arrest him illegally.

Trust me the Jedi are Arseholes. Order 66. They had it comming.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

We know there's 10 years between ep 1 and ep 2, and 20 years between ep 3 and 4. What I'm wondering here is what the generally accepted time passages are in the other eps.

3 years between 2 and 3 has almost been universally quoted and confirmed but never actually stated in the film or books leaving it open to EU intrpertation.

Between 4 and 5 is either a year or 2 years. I'm not sure why but everywhere has this.

The empire strikes back takes place over several months. Luke being traind and Han flying without lightspeed took months.

Ep 5-6 has been quoted from 6 months to 18.

Ah ah. The force.net, as good a starwars site as you could possibly get, has a time line:
http://www.theforce.net/timeline/

Use the opener where it says "Ultimate Timeline Navagation" to access any period in known SW history.