The Balance of the Force [SPOILERS]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

It's a bad habit I've developed of late, i've had quite a few trainiees at work and developed this annoying habit of calling people 'son'. Of course I always call everyone mate as well, but I don't know if that's becasue I'm Australian ...
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

That and son doesn't really work as i believe Wreckie is a girl.
On topic in agrrement with some others i believe that the prophecy entails the balancing of the methods of using the force (that of emotion and logic).
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
RID Scourge

The balance of the force is $382.26 :p

Post by RID Scourge »

I just took it to meant he was going to kill all of the Jedi and bring things back to square one. Do we ever get the actual wording of the prophesy? I think the part about destroying the Sith was just their interpretation, and I kinda got a stronger conviction of that when Yoda says "A phophesy misread, possibly," or something like that.
wreckie
Protoform

Post by wreckie »

Originally posted by the_escaflowne_2k
That and son doesn't really work as i believe Wreckie is a girl.
Your belief is... mistaken. :P

And Tempest, I'm in Highgate. Just outside Northbridge.

I didn't read anywhere else in this thread that the prophecy of balance might refer to the number of Sith and Jedi - a literal balance.

EDIT: I just saw your 'balance' post, Tempest. It wasn't there when I posted my reply.

Once upon a time I'd have believed there was a deeper meaning, but after the first two prequels, I think George Lucas is just going for the bloody obvious approach. Just a thought :)
Getaway

Post by Getaway »

I know Bik Maki won't like to hear this, but Dark Empire is loved by Lucas - he bought copies of it for all the Lucas emplyees one Christmas - scary as the 2nd and third parts are ****e. Seriously though there is some awesome EU out there - if you are genuinely interested I can break it down into what can be avoided as it is atrocious as The academy trlogy and some awesome stuff such as the X-Wing series (comics and Novels) and others

Getaway the houdini of the transformers universe nobody can defeat him......except Rodimus Prime, Cyclonus, Starscream, Deathbringer, Thunderwing, Dreadwing........

"Run hot, but always keep your cool."
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Getaway
I know Bik Maki won't like to hear this, but Dark Empire is loved by Lucas - he bought copies of it for all the Lucas emplyees one Christmas - scary as the 2nd and third parts are ****e.

Good to see he appreciated Vader's sacrifice in RotJ being retconned. This explains a lot, actually...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

This new discussion is entirely off-topic, but I also wasn't satisfied by the way the dark side was handled with Dark Empire. I remember reading the whole thing without ever really knowing what was going on other than Luke turning to the dark side with no real reason and the Emperor being brought back in the lamest was possible save reincarnation.
Getaway

Post by Getaway »

Personally I don't know anyone (myself included) who likes Dark Empire, but apparantly Lucas does!!??

Re - Balance of the force - as i uinderstand it when Darth kills the Emperor thats it as the emperor is then the last of the Sith (Luminiya is just a Sith Wanabee) at that point while there may still be dark Jedi - theres are no more Sith so the balance has been restored. The new Legacy series baddie is either Lumiya or Assaj Ventress so this might change slightly.

Getaway the houdini of the transformers universe nobody can defeat him......except Rodimus Prime, Cyclonus, Starscream, Deathbringer, Thunderwing, Dreadwing........

"Run hot, but always keep your cool."
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

one thing about the expanded universe I think needed further exploring... the three Infinities titles... particularly Infinities: Return of the Jedi... where the emperor never DIED to begin with... and Vader LIVES.... seeing that armor done up in white is... slightly preturbing, but... I'd have LOVED to have seen Luke, Leia and their old man hunt palpatine down... heck, they coulda spun into a whole different set of books just for that! and btw... if lucas didn't regard the expanded universe at least as partial cannon... it's entirely possible that Maul may have never HAD a double bladed lightsaber...

Because it was in Tales of the Old Republic, I think... when we're introduced to Exar Kun.... and Ulic Queldroma that we see a sith wield a dual bladed saber... much less one that potentiatlly could manually be split into two individual sabers...

though, I must wonder about anyone who follows the legacy of a sith by the name of Freedon Nadd....*facepalm*
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by God Jinrai
one thing about the expanded universe I think needed further exploring... the three Infinities titles... particularly Infinities: Return of the Jedi... where the emperor never DIED to begin with... and Vader LIVES.... seeing that armor done up in white is... slightly preturbing, but... I'd have LOVED to have seen Luke, Leia and their old man hunt palpatine down... heck, they coulda spun into a whole different set of books just for that!

That actually sounds quite cool, even if Vader in white armor sounds like a terrible idea. Was this a comic series or books?