Totp: Rip

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Totp: Rip

Post by inflatable dalek »

So did any other UKers watch the last ever Top of the Pops today? Worth it just for Pat Sharpe comparing the Spice Girls to The Rolling Stones. And it was fitting that the Bowie performance that's allways used to portray 70's TOTP got played in full. Though sadly when they played the now infamous "U2 Dueting With the 1980's Tardis Prop" from a few years ago they only used a bit without the Police Box (and the similary random Dexter's Midnight Runners singing in front of a giant picture of a darts player" wasn't included either).

And I must admitt to feeling sad when Sir Jimmy Saville turned the lights off at the end, mainly because by the look of him there won't be many more TV appearences left for the great one...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I watched it.

Pat Sharp, eh.

I couldn't help but think Rock Profile through most of it. :(

But at least the Beeb have freed up an extra half hour block a week for important stuff like gardening, eh?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon
I watched it.

Pat Sharp, eh.
But where were the twins? :( Did anyone else find DLT slightly creepy, I think he's still bitter'n'twisted about that Gotcha...
I couldn't help but think Rock Profile through most of it. :(
I'm suprised they didn't have Jamie on it, I mean, they diged Sarah Whatsist out of somehwhere.
But at least the Beeb have freed up an extra half hour block a week for important stuff like gardening, eh?

Just remember: The BBC is possible thanks to the unique way it's funded for by us plebs. Bah. (Rather wonderfully on OG a few months ago whenI suggested the TV liscence was rather a pointless waste of money I was condemed as a culturally ignorant, selfish self centered piece of scum. Which isn't entirely unfair I suppose...)
Bouncelot
Protoform

Post by Bouncelot »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Just remember: The BBC is possible thanks to the unique way it's funded for by us plebs. Bah. (Rather wonderfully on OG a few months ago whenI suggested the TV liscence was rather a pointless waste of money I was condemed as a culturally ignorant, selfish self centered piece of scum. Which isn't entirely unfair I suppose...)

Especially on a Doctor Who forum. Would they really have brought it back like they did if they were funded by Ads?

Mind you, I selfishly like my TV Ad-free, which is one of the reasons I like having the licence fee.

And I lost interest in TOTP years and years ago. Couldn't care less nowadays.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Might try to download it or catch a rerun. I think Sir Jimmy was perfectly appraised and realistic in an interview I read, though -- a weekly chart show isn't relevant in the days of on-demand music TV... although the idea to mix TOTP and TOTP2 (fecking with the timeslot in the process) certainly hastened the end.

Still, I'm glad The Crimea got on it before the thing had run its course.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Bouncelot
Especially on a Doctor Who forum. Would they really have brought it back like they did if they were funded by Ads?

Well, considering each episode is exactly the right length for an hour slot with adverts, they wouldn't have had that much difficulty doing so ;) For better or worse it's very much a comercial program with the beeb having one eye very much on overseas sales, merchendise revenue ect ect. Not that that's a bad thing to me, but hardly different from the way many of the big American programs are made and marketed. Plus, lest we forget, that RTD spent a decade between Childrens BBC and Casanova in the comercial sector making bitter and twisted "I'll never work for the beeb again!" comments after the perils of Century Falls... I should say that it's not people being in support of the liscence fee that annoyed me, but the fact that my opinion got me the online version of tarring ahd feathering. :)

Probably the sadest thing about the last TOTP was the presenters half-hearted efforts to make it sound as if being their last ever number one was a big honour for the recipiant who'll be able to tell their kids ect... Only for this weeks top spot being held by a American and latin American duet, who probably won't give a toss. At least it was a half decent song unlike the McFly garbage last week.
I think Sir Jimmy was perfectly appraised and realistic in an interview I read
On the show he sliped a very barbed comment in about the wiping of old BBC Tv programs back in the 60's and 70's- Clearly the man hasn't lost it mentally even if he does look rather frail now. There was a lovely moment when he started interacting with a Jimmy Saville impersonator in the audience as well.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

At least it was a half decent song unlike the McFly garbage last week.

I think half decent is over egging it somewhat.

Then, then again, I wasn't listening so much as watching...
inflatable dalek

I think half decent is over egging it somewhat.

After carefull examination of Shakira's hips, I can conclusively prove they do not lie. On the other hand, the hips of all members of McFly do nothing but tell giant porkies. Which is also what they've been eating a lot of lately by the look of 'em.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

After carefull examination of Shakira's hips, I can conclusively prove they do not lie.

Personally I don't care if they lie or not... they can tell me whatever they want...
inflatable dalek

Personally I don't care if they lie or not... they can tell me whatever they want...

What if they said "You're not Batman"?

I actually thought McFly Dig Up Brain May's hair and Piss all over it- Or Why Charity Is Evil as I like to call it, was still number one so seeing they weren't was a nice suprise.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

What if they said "You're not Batman"?

Then I'd have to punish them. Image
inflatable dalek

Half of the mental image I now have in my head (involving you) is very wrong- The other half (involving her) is very right. I'm confused. :eek:

Perhaps you should let her be Batman for a bit? Prefereably the suit with batnipples.
BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

What, you're Batman and the Punisher...? ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Or Frank Miller...
inflatable dalek

How did we gte from Shakira to Frank Miller? And how do we get back?

The first minuet or so of the final is now on Youtube- Marvel at DLT being a tit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHHWliif ... ps%20final