Favourite Worst Nightmare

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Favourite Worst Nightmare

Post by Sir Auros »

Anyone have it? Care to share thoughts?

I'm hoping it's as fast as their debut album, but I haven't heard any of the tracks in full yet.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I really really like it.

It's a bit more View From The Afternoon... more with the heavy frantic guitars and a little bit lighter on the choruses... Lyrics are buried under the production a bit on some numbers, so none of it stands out like, say, Fake Tales, but it's still witty as ever.

It took me about three listens to really get into it. First time out, Fluorescent Adolescent and Old Yellow Bricks were the only tracks that really clicked... but now I've heard it a few times, top stuff.

Easy four stars.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Cool. It's on a good sale this week at Best Buy, so I may get it there.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Originally posted by Brendocon
It took me about three listens to really get into it.

Couldn't agree more. Hearing Brianstorm had me really excited, so I guess I couldn't help but be disappointed on my first listen to the album. Was more impressed second time round, and now i've heard it a couple of times more it's grown on me an awful lot.

Helps that I went out and bought it off the bat, so felt obliged to give it a fair crack of the whip. Also that my new car has a cd player which I wanted an excuse to use....
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

The first album took a few listens for me. Past Fake Tales, everything kind of blended together, but on (many) subsequent listen throughs, I found that I liked stuff like Mardy Bum, From Ritz to Ruin, and Riot Van more than Dancefloor.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I think every song on the first album's an absolute corker, tbh. Though the best thing they've ever done is still Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts. It was the B to Dancefloor and I'd say it's well worth illegally downloading, if I condoned that sort of thing.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Crap. Didn't realise it was a dancefloor B side. Does it make it legal if I downloaded it before it became part of the Dancefloor single? Not trying to be all "I got there first", as I blatantly only noticed them once they'd started getting played on big radio, but still had to download stuff at first as nothing had been released.

I thought there were a few good songs, if a little samey, which didn't make the first album.

Could do without them being another Oasis, ie for the first few years the B sides on their singles match most artists' A side singles. Could get expensive as I'm usually just an album buyer. And definitely not a downloading cheapskate at any time. No I would never do something as bad as that :glance:

Honest...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by MikeB
Crap. Didn't realise it was a dancefloor B side. Does it make it legal if I downloaded it before it became part of the Dancefloor single? Not trying to be all "I got there first", as I blatantly only noticed them once they'd started getting played on big radio, but still had to download stuff at first as nothing had been released.
Well... you either downloaded it legally or you didn't... when you didn't doesn't really change it. ;)
I thought there were a few good songs, if a little samey, which didn't make the first album.
Aye. There's only a handful of the pre-album demos that haven't found their way out commercially in some form.

I'm quite fond of the fact that they've eschewed the strict "singles as album trailers only" formula. EPs and non-album singles make a band feel like they're more concerned with actually sticking music out rather than shifting units. Very little in the way of duff tracks so far, but it can get bloody expensive.

But that's what Soulseek is for. And I just justify it to myself on the moral grounds that iTunes are breaking EU law with their pricing policy, and I refuse to endorse their behaviour. Yes... that's it...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, the whole album's pretty sweet, but 505 is absolutely killer. Is it just me, or is it the music that's really infectious this time and the lyrics that are a little subdued? There are still plenty of great vocal instances, but the actual music was what really grabbed me.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

i prefer the music to the lyrics sometimes and so it's nice to have more focus on that. i can never remember song lyrics but always remember the rhythmn and beats of the song after the first listen.

fave song on the cd has to be teddy pickers, love it!
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1