Glasgow

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
redman prime

Glasgow

Post by redman prime »

It seems no one wants to get pissed off at the real world, but all the same:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06 ... index.html

This is what it's come to? I really don't see the point of Terrorism, it's not going to kill many people, but just beat us into submission by fear?

F that!
I guess it comes down to perspective on life, and I feel like you have to be able to live and let live... man, i sound like an asshole, but what's the point?

Does it serve a purpose other than to perpetuate stereptypes?

not really currying faor with the international community by killing civilians, are you?

Stupid.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Fear is the best way to control people dude. The penal system, the church, they operate on the level of you being afraid of the consequences of your actions rather than promoting any real sense of nobility.

Prey fear predators, it's what keeps them alive and holds a semblance of balance in nature, until we get that out of our levis' terrorism is going to be the most cost-effective strategy against bigger dogs.

That said, I reckon "uniting behind your counties' flag" is bull****. Nationalistic pride and arrogance are one of the reasons terrorist attacks are so effective. Giving them a clear target.

I hope I'm not painting the wrong picture here. Blowing yourself up to scare away tourists is ****ing stupid whichever way I look at it.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

that's a good rebuttal.

but I still think that there could be more effective ways to make a point, aside from scattering your person across a wide area with a bomb strapped around your chest....

I just don't get it, and I guess i need to live in a place where i feel oppressed and segregated, so I can relate.

Because I'm a white kid living in America, I have absolutely no reckoning point with that mindset..

So there's that.

Fear us a great motivational tool, it just tends to backfire in the long run with over-run animosity towards that common foe, which could be america in iraq or afhganistan..

america plays by it's own rules, and i have no say in those rules...

scary, "by the people, for the people" means nothing anymore
Halfshell

Re: Glasgow

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by redman prime
It seems no one wants to get pissed off at the real world, but all the same:

Because none of the Brits are up in arms over it? Nah, 's more that most of us are used to it and take it in stride.

The moment they affect the way everybody behaves, they've essentially accomplished what they set out to do. We don't like to give them the satisfaction.

We adopt much the same approach as we do to spoilt children looking for attention. Ignore them until they learn how to behave. Okay, may not be the, uhm, safest way of doing it... but it's better than the alternative.
redman prime

Re: Re: Glasgow

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Because none of the Brits are up in arms over it? Nah, 's more that most of us are used to it and take it in stride.
\

Touche.

Just figured it would get mentioned, I didn't think the terorists were watching message boards to judge their sweeping effects. or is it affects?..
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Plus it happened outside the M25 so the Governemnts not all that bothered anyway...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Re: Re: Re: Glasgow

Post by Halfshell »

Just figured it would get mentioned, I didn't think the terorists were watching message boards to judge their sweeping effects.
They're regular lurkers, don't ya know.

Seriously, for the most part we just get on with it. The IRA have been operating for as long as I've been alive... if I got panicked every time something happened, I'd be a Daily Mail reader.
or is it affects?..

It affects.
It has an effect.
Cliffjumper

Re: Re: Re: Re: Glasgow

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Brendocon
The IRA have been operating for as long as I've been alive...

Same bombs, different nutters. The papers seem to be doing their best to convince everyone they're going to be nail-bombed if they leave their homes, but most people seem rather less than bothered...
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

but I still think that there could be more effective ways to make a point, aside from scattering your person across a wide area with a bomb strapped around your chest....
To be brutally honest, it's more the point they're trying to get across I have a problem with, rather than the methods. For example, I agree with the tactic of bombs not going off and bomb-scares, to actually killing people. Dying for your convictions and killing for your convictions are two radically different kettles of fish... That is, if you have a valid point to get across (ie. not religion).

I've actually forgotten exactly why there's a Jihad going on, just people willing to kill themselves and innocent bystanders because "we mean business". So I guess the government is doing something right. All they have to do is mention "Islamic extremists" and they're instantly the good guys. What was the reason behind these attacks again ?
scary, "by the people, for the people" means nothing anymore
sorry, you lost me. Care to elaborate ? :)
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
sorry, you lost me. Care to elaborate ? :)

Well, once upon a time America was made to be a nation that we actually got to say something about what was happening, at least in our country

today, notsomuch..

i'd elaborate, but I'm done braining today.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'm not saying that you are like these people, but most of my friends who gripe about "Not getting a say" are the same ones who don't bother to vote. We all want to have things run our way, but we aren't willing to take any sort of responsibility. I'm included here. Too often I'd rather not drive X miles just to hear what's going on in local politics, but then I gripe an moan about how bad things are.
Viva la vote!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Notabot
I'm not saying that you are like these people, but most of my friends who gripe about "Not getting a say" are the same ones who don't bother to vote.

Don't bother voting because they can't be arsed? Or don't bother voting because they don't want to endorse any of the options?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Sometimes the latter is indeed the reason, but more often than not, it's the former. We're American. We're lazy and think we deserve it all.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I noticed Die Hard 2 was pulled from ITV's listings last night in favour of Cliffhanger, because it involves terrorists in an airport.

TBH I dont agree with that, while people could have been hurt no one was bar the terrorist, so I think its a huge overreactin to pull it on that basis.

Its like pulling Speed cos a bus could have almost had a crash.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Any reason to pull Speed is a good reason. :)
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I vote for pretty much everything, and that was a hassle to get registered after the move, get a new license, fill out everything they require, show them my stonecutters tattoo on my left ass cheek..

too much hassle, but the hoops have been jumped through and the democratic process is rolling with steam!

towards a paltry selection of Jack johnson or John Jackson..
:glance:
RCOSD

Post by RCOSD »

John Smeation

Ack well, London gets some proper terrorists, we get Tesco-value terrorists.

Fair trade.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
I noticed Die Hard 2 was pulled from ITV's listings last night in favour of Cliffhanger, because it involves terrorists in an airport.

TBH I dont agree with that, while people could have been hurt no one was bar the terrorist, so I think its a huge overreactin to pull it on that basis.

No-one died, so it's all fine. They should probably have kept it on with a discalimer, especially in the light of the have a go hero:

"What happens in this film does not reflect real life. DO NOT pretend you are a police officer.

DO act like a total coward and run"

Simple and brilliant.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak
No-one died, so it's all fine.

Yep, we're talking about the Worlds worst suicide bombers. They couldn't even manage to kill themselves.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!