Okay, so who are you supporting in Euro 2008?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

=)

Austria - someone's got to...
5%
Greece - glory-hunting gone mad!
11%
Czech Republic - always crazy
5%
Italy - yawn
11%
France - double yawn
No votes
Poland - the only home nation to make it
5%
Switzerland - erm, Toblerones? Beating up Turkey?
No votes
Spain - sooner or later they're going to have to turn up...
21%
Russia - one for the Scots/Irish/Welsh ;)
No votes
Holland - maybe they'll play Portugal
16%
Portugal - maybe they'll play Holland
No votes
Germany - their manager is a dandy!
11%
Croatia - another for the Scots/Irish/Welsh :p
5%
Romania - coke-head striker!!!!
No votes
Sweden - no, they are there, honestly...
11%
Turkey - this time they're not thugs, apparently.
No votes

Total votes: 19

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nice flick from Thierry Henry there.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Now if only he could do that for... you know... France
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Netherlands won their game against Romania. Nice that they decided to play seriously, even if it means possibly facing Italy again in semifinal. As a sidenote I hate the "closed" group system in this tournament.

Italy was better than in earlier games. Defence like I'm used to expect from Italian national teams, Toni in good shape (despite not scoring) etc. Still, Spain is a favourite in my books in their quarterfinal match...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Considering Romania beat them twice in Qualifying, whereas the Dutch easily handled Italy and France (Romania were a handful for both of them) I suspect the Dutch didn't really want Romania to go through.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Glad to see that Italy won... I missed the game again because of lousy work. The quarterfinal match, that should be against Spain, is on Sunday though, so I'll actually get to watch them play live for the first time this tournament. :)
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Italy were the better team. It's the first time in aaages that I've seen them look like they want to score goals. France were out-played but it did seem at times they'd no luck whatsoever. Ribery was a huge loss and Abidal was a complete twat to launch a tackle like that it was only ever going to end with a red card.

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Was it me, or did Abidal just seem determined to take him out? I felt Coupet had it covered, while Abidal just seemed to nip and nip at Toni until he actually took him down... France just did not look interested, too many mercenaries who couldn't give a **** about internationals (Henry, Anelka), too many shagged out old men (Makalele couldn't get close enough to anyone to do his full repertoie of kicks, tugs and trips), far far far too much pressure on Ribery and Benzema to do a Zidane and carry the whole lot of wasters through.

Italy, IMO, haven't been bad... Not as good as they should be, but they were a bit unlucky against a Dutch side that really is looking superb, and a Romanian side who could probably do the same stifling job on anyone nine times out of ten. I fancy them to pick up some pace from now on, and can't see panicky Spain turning them over... Villa and Torres have looked good against Sweden and (the very disappointing) Russia, but even Italy's second-choice centrebacks will be a lot more difficult for them.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I definitely see Italy beating Spain, no question of that, Spain have a good attack but I've not seen much in the rest of the team that makes me think they will do anything.

I'm glad that France got humiliated this time round. Their coach is an arsehole of the highest order and I agree that they had a load of people who blatantly couldn't be arsed. Patrick Viera was a selfish twat for going along when he was never going to be fit. Though to be fair he wasn't the only passenger in the France squad.

My only disappointment was that William Gallas didn't go mental at some stage, as I'd money on that with friends.

Andy
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Paris was really peaceful and quiet last night. Nothing shuts us up like being creamed at football it seems... that's quite worrying in a way.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I was hoping for either him or Thierry to just sit down in the penalty area and sulk for the last 10 minutes...
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Just had a look at Ceefax while having a late breakfast. Domenech says he will leave his future up to the FFF. If they have any sense they'll punt him.

Both Makalele and Thuram have announced their retirements. Henry should do the same. He's never been the same player since Arsenal lost to Barcelona in the European Cup Final. He really should knock football on the head now before he completely destroys his reputation.

Andy
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Didn't shut us up for very long, t'would seem.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Everyone goes on about how smart Wenger was to sell Henry when he did, but I disagree - they should have shifted him a year earlier when offers were made of twice the amount... he was a dead weight for his last season, restricting the team when he did play (has there ever been a less inspiring club captain than a pouting, sulking big game bottler? Well, actually, we'll see how Gallas' own particular take progresses, shall we?) through junior team-mates feeling obliged to pass to him at all times, and eating up a sizeable chunk of the budget while injured - and after spending the whole summer ****ing the club and its' fans around.

Barca have been such a shambles this year it's difficult to judge him too harshly. Mind, he was always going to look poor for a team that didn't put him on a pedestal. He's always been at best adequate for France, though - weirdly, similar to Cantona. He scores a few goals for them and occasionally does something good, but in a French shirt he's really not much more imprssive than, say, Crouch is for England. I can see him taking retirement very soon, and just taking the commercial endorsements.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Totally. Wenger must regret keeping him that extra year. I did laugh at the time when Henry said he was so disappointed in the way Barcelona played in that final that made him decide not to join them. What a difference a year makes.

I think Gallas will be an even bigger embarrassment as a captain than Henry. Hell he's already proved that with the Birmingham game. If Wenger was the manager that people claim he is, he would have summarily stripped Gallas of the captaincy and benched him. That is not an example to the rest of the team.

The French team have been a joke in the last few years, hell if my lot can beat you twice in competitive games that says it all. God knows what Domenech has been playing at. One look at his squad and you had to shake your head. Anelka? Boumsoung? Gomis?!

Andy
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I glimpsed through Holland-Romania match (bought a recording digital box because of the tournament :o ) and after that it'd be hard to say Romania would have deserved to go through from this group.

I don't know what had happened to the team that played good football and were very close to beat Italy. Even when 1-0 behind (and Italy had scored) they played like the result is fine with them. Lazy and unimaginative, much like their cynical opening match against France. :confused:

--

Today two of Finland's neighbour countries are playing against each other. Russia is also in the same qualifying group as Finland for the next World cup, so this match is interesting on many levels for me.

For some reason I thought Sweden needed a win from this, but as a draw is enough they have upperhand. Much depends on how the defence fares against Russian strikers. Here the biggest question mark in Swedish team before tournament was considered to be their defence line and especially quarterback Hansson. Hansson had played a rather good tournament (even scoring against Greece), but Spain's last minute goal was mostly his fault. Today there'll be no place for errors like that.

Despite starting well against Spain and beating Greece, Russia hasn't really impressed me so far. Here's hoping they raise their level and we'll see a great match.

My prediction 1-1.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I felt the Russians were a bit lucky against Greece, poor supply for the forwards, and if Charestas (sp?) had got better contact with a couple of good crosses, they'd have been in trouble.

I do think it's a soft group that several teams already out would have loved to have been in.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Cliffjumper wrote:I felt the Russians were a bit lucky against Greece, poor supply for the forwards, and if Charestas (sp?) had got better contact with a couple of good crosses, they'd have been in trouble.

I do think it's a soft group that several teams already out would have loved to have been in.
IMHO they still deserved the win against Greece, even if Greece had their own chances as well. :)

You're right about the poor service, but Russia will have their playmaker (correct term?) Arshavin on the pitch. Definitely not an easy place for first match in the tournament. Huge expectations and pressure must have at least some kind of effect and IIRC he hasn't played regularly in his club lately.

Oh, I think all the teams left out would have loved to be in any if the groups. ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, so your English is better than mine :p

Good point re: Arshavin. Big call to come back at full throttle, though - a lot of pressure, like Rooney at WC '06. However, unlike Rooney, Arshavin isn't a dick, so I doubt he's going to do a jig on Mellborg's crotch or anything...

What in the name of God is Clive Tyldsley on about?
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

...your English is better than mine.
Nope, but I'm used to making bad jokes. :(

Looks like a promising start for the game. Tough but fair looking playing.

I don't understand why Zlatan didn't get booked for dangerous playing right in the first strike though. Nice trick, but he should have realised he'll be kicking straight at defender's head.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Wonder what the bookies odds will be on Germany now.

I knew Portugal would be put out, but fair play they chased the game right to the very end.

Andy