Birds of Prey finally hits DVD!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Birds of Prey finally hits DVD!

Post by Heinrad »

Yes, short lived TV series Birds of Prey has hit DVD today.

Huzzah.

Okay, I can't be the only person who watched it. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want to see Dina Meyer in a skintight Batgirl costume? :D

And the show wasn't too bad, either.

Extras are the original pilot(Sherilyn Fenn as Harley instead of Mia Sara) and all three seasons of the web toon Gotham Girls.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I saw one or two but it was awful. Good idea in theory though. Which is odd, because the comic Birds of Prey was also good in practice.
Kenori

Post by Kenori »

Wow, a dvd I have no desire whatsoever to pick up ever! Not even morbid curiosity this time.

Huh.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think I'd be constantly comparing it unfavourably to the comic...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

That might have been my problem. It might have also been the cheap looking sets, bad lighting and direction and sub-par acting. I was actually pretty annoyed because I had pretty high hopes for it.

The Gotham Girls webisodes are pretty good though.

Edit: Actually, I might be a bit hard on the sets there, I think the lighting just made them look cheap.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I wish they'd have released the Gotham Girls cartoons independantly from this set. I want to own those, but I'm not buying a show I really hated for them.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

They also took the theme off. Geez, you'd think one of Warner's record labels could release Aimee Allen's CD.

I actually enjoyed the show, but I've never read the comic they took the title from.

But then, I'm also watching mainly for Dina Meyer and the Gotham Girls webisodes. Although I do have to give them a big thumbs down for removing the mini-games.

That being said, I think the dying DVD drive in my computer would melt down if they'd set Gotham Girls up with the mini-games.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fairly sure you can just right-click-save the links in the Wikipedia article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Girls
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Why was this show cancelled anyway? It had pretty good ratings, and it was entertaining.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I sort of liked it when it was shown here few years ago. Nothing spectacular, but entertaining.

On the other hand, I have only read one TPB from "Birds of Prey", which left me completely unimpressed. Can't even remember what happened in it. :o
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

The comic did have its ups and downs. I liked it when Gail Simone was working on it. Haven't read it in ages though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Saw bits from some good standalone-type issues recently (Calculator vs the legend of Oracle, Zinda tearing up countryside in a private wake for Barda); when they come into TPB I'll definitely try to remember to pick it up...