US Election Night: Official Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Galvatron91

US Election Night: Official Thread

Post by Galvatron91 »

Well, the homestretch for the US election 2008 style is FINALLY here. Obviously, the presidency is at stake, but the races for House and Senate take on added importance as well, with the Democrats seeking a Filibuster-proof Senate. So with Election Night looming, here is the be all, end all topic for all things Election 08. Discuss the presidential/congressional/local races here.

REMEMBER: Polite...play by the rules, to argue is great, healthy debate desired, but try to argue with facts and counterpoints than merely flinging taunts and insults! The insults are my job!
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Theres been talk that Obama is the candidate most likely to give "Brand America" a boost, and therefore improve the reputation of America.

With his relative lack of experience politically speaking, and his lack of history, like not being shot down and being a POW, is he the one to affect such a change?
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm not sure McCain has any shot at winning at all. I think Palin was a very big mistake for him to have made.

That saddens me as I don't think he'd have been a bad president.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Honestly, when McCain was announced as the candidate, I felt like this would be an election where I could be happy with either outcome. As soon as the retarded zealot got on the ticket, that feeling changed.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

T_T

I'm still undecided. Palin is sorta a big turn-off (Politics wise. Otherwise, meowwww) for me, but there is something about Obama that strikes me as a bit odd. It's not race of anything, I just don't know what it is that seems weird about him.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

And,I have to go with Secretcode on this one.Undecided and not real sure on either.Politicans they both are,so from either of them,I am not expecting super-amazing fast change,or much at all.Headway,yeah,but...we'll leave it at a lack of confidence in either.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Sir Auros wrote:Honestly, when McCain was announced as the candidate, I felt like this would be an election where I could be happy with either outcome. As soon as the retarded zealot got on the ticket, that feeling changed.
Everything about that choice seems like it was made by the Republican party and not McCain. Even if Palin wasn't out there acting like a parody, the fact that he's letting the party call the shots for him is disturbing, and a little depressing.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sir Auros wrote:Honestly, when McCain was announced as the candidate, I felt like this would be an election where I could be happy with either outcome. As soon as the retarded zealot got on the ticket, that feeling changed.
Despite not having much time for your Republican's (or our Tories for that matter) back when this started I was able to at least respect McCain for both what he went through in Vietnam (and a Commander in Chief who knows what its like to suffer in a completely pointless war would probably handle the current situation better than draft dodger Bush) and the fact he didn't seem as nuts as the current administration. Unfortunately, just about every word I've heard him say and every choice he's made (including Palin) has made him look to me like a complete prat.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is it tonight? Thank God for that...
Clay

Post by Clay »

inflatable dalek wrote: better than draft dodger Bush)
Bush wasn't a draft dodger. He helped fight the Vietcong from a Texas Air Force base.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Clay wrote:Bush wasn't a draft dodger. He helped fight the Vietcong from a Texas Air Force base.
Lying on his bed drunk counted did it?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Lord Zarak wrote:Lying on his bed drunk counted did it?
Apparently so, yes.
Lord Zarak

And this, coming from a Limey

Post by Lord Zarak »

I do hope that all that can here at the Archive vote today.

I know who i would want you to vote for, but that aint the point of this.

Go out and exercise your democratic right, and in doing so, become a part of history
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Lord Zarak wrote:I do hope that all that can here at the Archive vote today.

I know who i would want you to vote for, but that aint the point of this.

Go out and exercise your democratic right, and in doing so, become a part of history

Sneaky subliminal messaging Zarak you sly dog you :P

I'm not American, and relatively a-political so I don't exactly know the details, but what I do know is that seeing Palin and McCain on SNL desperately trying to up their cred with the cool guys was one of the most embarrasing things I've ever ever seen.

Has Obama done anything like that? Or has he played a fairly straight up campaigning game.

Does anyone think the death of his grandmother who died today/yesterday will affect peoples voting in any way? Do you think there'll be such a thing as sympathy votes?
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Small d!

The thing that gets me back up is people not voting. I think that they are gutless people. Coupled with that, those that dont/havent voted (for whatever reason) tend to be the loudest moaners.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

CounterPunch wrote:Does anyone think the death of his grandmother who died today/yesterday will affect peoples voting in any way? Do you think there'll be such a thing as sympathy votes?
I'm sorry for his loss. By all accounts she was really more of a mother to him than his mother was.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Just came back from voting.

I want to make a wager to the mods. If by some fluke that McCain wins, you guys ban me for a month, because I ****ing guarantee that Obama is going to win.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

If you haven't made up your mind a month prior to the election, you're an imbecile. Oh, you're debating the issues? No, you're not sophisticated enough to lay out the candidates' beliefs, measure your own beliefs and the relative importance of each individual issue, and make a decision.

"Undecided voters are the biggest idiots on the planet." --Brian from Family Guy

2000 McCain? A great candidate that should have bested G.W. Bush for the GOP nomination.

2008 McCain? A crazy old man who sold out to the GOP machine and spent his campaign directly contradicting 95% of his Senate voting record. He sold out, he tried to play the game, and he's going to lose.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

CounterPunch wrote:Has Obama done anything like that? Or has he played a fairly straight up campaigning game.
He appeared on SNL for the 2007 Halloween episode. He was wearing a mask of himself at Hillary's party, and then he unmasked himself and people cheered, and he said made a speech about how he didn't want to pretend to be what he wasn't and such. It was actually rather clever.
Lord Zarak wrote:The thing that gets me back up is people not voting. I think that they are gutless people.
I dunno. With how rabid people are about politics I think it takes someone brave to say "I'm not voting for x reason." Talk about "shun the unbeliever."

Tbh I feel that voting because everyone tells you that you "have to" (or because people will insult or think less of you) kinda defeats the purpose of a democracy.

I also don't see much of a point for my going out of the way to vote in a blue state. If I vote for Obama then I've voted with the electoral votes. If I vote for McCain then I vote against the electoral votes. If I vote for a third party who has no chance of winning or do a write-in then I might as well have stayed home.
Coupled with that, those that dont/havent voted (for whatever reason) tend to be the loudest moaners.
I don't plan on voting. I don't moan much at all.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

If you refuse to vote, you're either uninformed, foolish, or unable to distinguish what's important. The electoral college is irrelevant - I used to live in New Jersey, a consistently blue state for the last 20 years, and I still educated myself on the issues and voted wisely. If you honestly can't look critically at the candidates, make a decision, and exercise a right that millions around the world don't get to enjoy, you're both selfish and ignorant.